Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times

Advertisements

Ironically enough, the Abilene Reporter-News today has the new crime stats. I can't do a link because you'd have to register for the site anyway, but here's part of the info:

"While violent crime in the United States rose almost 2 percent last year, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Abilene saw a drop.

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2007 at 03:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
I lived in Abilene growing up (in 70s), so you can imagine how idyllic it was then. Very small town, friendly, clean, low crime. Have been back several times since, and of course, saw some good changes downtown area. But did also notice how much it had grown out by the loop. Then went back just a few months ago, after being gone several years. It looked very run down, dirty, scary even. I was very disappointed. Saw cop cars everywhere, sirens going, stopping people, etc. And NOT a weekend. Really sad to see the degeneration of a once very nice city. I was planning on staying over a few days just to revisit my old home places, but turned around and left immediately.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:04 PM

14 posts, read 50,122 times
Hi! Can anyone tell me which areas of Abilene one should avoid? Where are these 'shady neighborhoods'? Is the north east part of town ok? Thank you so much!

Old 11-02-2007, 08:33 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
I currently live in the Northeast part of Abilene near the new growth around I-20 and the new shopping areas northeast of Abilene Christian University. I lived 16 years in the Southwest around the Mall of Abilene. I have felt very safe in both areas and have seen no crime in either neighborhood.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 12,339 times
Default Be afraid, be very afraid

I have only lived in Abilene for a few years but have personally experienced several thefts, have watched a gang bust all the windows out of the car across the street, and watched a druggie running for his life from the corner crack house. And the response from the police department was "Well, you don't live in a great part of town, you know". There was a four year old girl shot and killed in a drive-by and just last week two teenagers beat a homeless man to death. If you don't have money, the police don't care. Really, Abilene doesn't care. Abilene is all about the money.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:12 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofabilene View Post
I have only lived in Abilene for a few years but have personally experienced several thefts, have watched a gang bust all the windows out of the car across the street, and watched a druggie running for his life from the corner crack house. And the response from the police department was "Well, you don't live in a great part of town, you know". There was a four year old girl shot and killed in a drive-by and just last week two teenagers beat a homeless man to death. If you don't have money, the police don't care. Really, Abilene doesn't care. Abilene is all about the money.
Well, I have no money and moved here last year. I'm very happy! Folks have been so nice and I feel at home. I'm disabled and living on a fixed income so if Abilene abounds with snobs, I'd be a target. Hasn't happened.

Yep, there are sketchy neighborhoods -- every city and town has them. I moved here from 500 miles away and when I saw the homes and neighborhoods in my price range, I wasn't sure about some of them. So, I bought a nearly new double-wide mobile home on its own land. And if I hadn't found this home, I would have rented for a while until I found something in a good area. No one says you HAVE to buy a home in a less-than-desirable neighborhood! Rents in Abilene are very affordable and apartments are plentiful!

If the cops aren't helpful, call the police chief. If he isn't helpful, call the mayor. You can only be disrespected if you allow it to happen. Sheesh, if I called the police for help and they were flippant, my crippled legs would be hobbling to city hall the next day.

I did have occasion to go to city hall once and folks were SO helpful! I was looking for help to build a ramp to my home and got lots of great suggestions and resources. I've also had workers from the Disability Services come to my home to see how they can help me, and I was treated with warmth, courtesy and friendliness. I felt sheepish about just moving to Abilene and asking for services but no one made me feel the least bit badly about it.

Life is what you make it, I guess.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:42 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
I agree, Teatime. I am completely happy here. I have no money. I wasn't born here. I am not one of the "elite." I have great friends and have had wonderful experiences with all of the city departments and institutions that I have dealt with.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:39 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,702 times
I lived in Abilene for 1 year and moved to Clyde...about 10 miles away. More quiet but I couldn't get used to the stupid cockleburrs! I left there a long time ago. Glad I did.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,225 times
Can any one give me info on a Murder that may have happend in Abilene TX. I lived there once apon a time I was about 5,6,7 years old don't remember. I lived on Chessnut St on the corner white house next to a wharehouse I guess you can call it. Well my sister had some freinds I believe there last name would be Rocha 2 young man brothers who might have been in there teens. Well one of hose men was murderd by another in a parking lot. He was trying to stop a fight and was stabbed. If you know of any person or information please let me know. I was a friend of there's and really was not informed very well on what really happend. My email is [email]groovy33@gmail.com[/email]

Old 11-05-2008, 01:42 PM

714 posts, read 2,933,016 times
NEWSMD,

I live in Plano, and travel and visit Abilene for work and pleasure. Between the two I would prefer Abilene. Plano's crime is getting a little higher, murder has doubled this year. Yes, there are places in Abilene not to be caught in when the sun goes down, but I believe that all of Plano is a target from many of the Dallas area criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas