Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 09:59 PM

275 posts, read 416,413 times

Advertisements

I've seen the rioting and looting in cities such as New York City, Chicago, Minneapolis, and Portland, Oregon. What do you think would happen to people rioting and looting en masse in Texas cities, especially rioting and looting that continues for months at a time (such as Portland)?

Would Texans, especially native Texans, tolerate ongoing rioting and looting? I would guess an emphatic "No!" It doesn't surprise me a bit that rioters and looters don't appear too eager to pillage and burn in states where there is a strong belief in the Second Amendment. Most Texans I know would never stand down and watch their home and businesses be destroyed. Never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 04:08 AM

11,798 posts, read 8,008,183 times
You basically answered your own question. The answer is a resounding no. But most of that is happening in urban cores around the nation which tend to be more tolerant, even in Texas, although not to the decree that its welcome here so to speak... However the state itself wouldn’t tolerate it and in short, the national guard would be dispatched and end it much quicker than they did in Portland, Seattle, etc.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:17 AM

1,158 posts, read 960,857 times
I think the whole rioting/looting thing is a bit overblown....my kids and I attended a few marches in Fort Worth. They were very peaceful. Lots of small children with their parents were there. A very diverse crowd all ages, races, etc. No one was burning businesses/looting or doing anything other than protesting peacefully. Lots of middle class people supporting social justice.

I think a lot of the looting is done by criminals/gangs that know the police are occupied with the protests and capitalize on that fact. They aren't involved with the protests at all...

Old 09-07-2020, 07:31 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
What I don't get about the protests is, the police are run by elected officials. So the people out there protesting are protesting against the elected officials they voted for themselves.

If anyone isn't happy about the way the police are run, vote for someone who will run it the way you want. Marching around saying "I'm unhappy about the way I voted last time, but I'm going to vote the same way next time" doesn't make any sense.

The rioters and looters aren't protesters, of course, they're just rioters and looters and should be treated as such.

Old 09-07-2020, 12:46 PM

1,158 posts, read 960,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
What I don't get about the protests is, the police are run by elected officials. So the people out there protesting are protesting against the elected officials they voted for themselves.

If anyone isn't happy about the way the police are run, vote for someone who will run it the way you want. Marching around saying "I'm unhappy about the way I voted last time, but I'm going to vote the same way next time" doesn't make any sense.

The rioters and looters aren't protesters, of course, they're just rioters and looters and should be treated as such.
Individual police officers are not elected. I think everyone knows not all cops are good people just because they carry a badge. Some of them abuse their own wives and kids and the public they have sworn to protect and serve. Some of them are straight up criminals. Have a friend whose ex-husband was charged with sexual assault of someone he met on duty.

All too often police departments look the other way and don't get rid of the bad apples on the police force. That "thin blue line" nonsense and wall of silence mentality needs to change. If you're a thug with a badge you need to go.

That is why I marched. To let elected officials and the police know that their duty is to protect and serve the public that pays their salaries. It is inexcusable to kneel on someone's neck until they're dead. Sorry that was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. Those cops need to go to prison for murder for a very long time.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:12 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Individual police officers are not elected. I think everyone knows not all cops are good people just because they carry a badge. Some of them abuse their own wives and kids and the public they have sworn to protect and serve. Some of them are straight up criminals. Have a friend whose ex-husband was charged with sexual assault of someone he met on duty.

All too often police departments look the other way and don't get rid of the bad apples on the police force. That "thin blue line" nonsense and wall of silence mentality needs to change. If you're a thug with a badge you need to go.

That is why I marched. To let elected officials and the police know that their duty is to protect and serve the public that pays their salaries. It is inexcusable to kneel on someone's neck until they're dead. Sorry that was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. Those cops need to go to prison for murder for a very long time.
All police officers are under the control of elected officials. The offials you vote for (or against). Whatever police officers are breaking the law, or are just unfit for whatever reason, those elected officials are responsible for proactively taking care of the problem. That is their job. If you feel that isn't happening, the problem is with the elected officials. And the correct response is to elect someone else.

Voters are responsible for outcomes, whether they like it or not. The people out there protesting who voted for the officials in office are protesting against themselves.

People need to take their vote seriously, not blame others for the decisions of the people they voted into office themselves.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
I went to school there I love Texas lots of body bags til they got the message But that is the old Texas a long time ago

Old 09-08-2020, 10:52 PM

9,890 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Why did you include NYC? NYC has been relatively peaceful in their protests. Some protests in Texas have got more violent than NYC has. You realize Dallas and Houston did see their share of looters too. But anyway,

You have to separate protesters with looters. Protesting is completely acceptable. When people begin throwing racial slurs in protests, it offends us, but at the end of the day, as long as you're peacefully protesting neither side can complain too much if they want to live in a country they want to call free. Texas has seen plenty of protests especially in Houston, Austin and Dallas. Albeit they've been more peaceful than Chicago and Minneapolis as you mention.

However, let's suppose that the chaotic looting of the level Minneapolis and Atlanta saw did happen in Houston or Austin or Dallas. These are Texas' most left winged areas and as a result, there wouldn't be the population of conservative 2nd Amendment police worshiping right wingers to counteract. And the ones who would counter protest would be so outnumbered that they'd feel pressured to leave.

That being said, what WOULD happen, is you might see people in suburbs counter protest but they'd stay far away from the action so they wouldn't get much attention.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:18 PM

978 posts, read 1,057,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
I've seen the rioting and looting in cities such as New York City, Chicago, Minneapolis, and Portland, Oregon. What do you think would happen to people rioting and looting en masse in Texas cities, especially rioting and looting that continues for months at a time (such as Portland)?

Would Texans, especially native Texans, tolerate ongoing rioting and looting? I would guess an emphatic "No!" It doesn't surprise me a bit that rioters and looters don't appear too eager to pillage and burn in states where there is a strong belief in the Second Amendment. Most Texans I know would never stand down and watch their home and businesses be destroyed. Never.
Who do you think created Texas? ...to the Mexican Government they were foreign American looters/rioters/squatters that refused to leave. They just couldn't "make" them leave and so we had the Republic of Texas.

Who do you think created the United States of America?...the Boston Tea party was an organized group of "looters" which led to a bigger organized group of "rioters" that proudly used force to show their defiance to the British Government and they did. So much so, we glamorize our early American forefathers only because they won.

What do you think was one of the major events that led to the arrest warrant for Jesus?...there was that big looting episode of the retail shops that he had in the temple when he was protesting capitalism in the place of worship.

I in NO WAY support looting...rioting...destruction of property , etc. but I'm not stupid enough to ignore that the blood line of the Christian- American culture is as pro -looting/rioting as any nation ever created. So much so, we romanticize the looter/ rioters into heroes...even deity!

And I didn't even mention the Confederacy which again, was nothing more than a group of rioting separatist rebels daring the United States the declare war on them...and they did!

Old 09-09-2020, 12:42 PM

11,095 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Sounds like more of a race-baiting thread than any legitimate concern that's likely to happen in the state. Pouring gas and fanning flames without any valid reason.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-09-2020 at 01:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas