Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 01:21 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Just stop already. I was in Corpus during the beginning of May and was still busting a good sweat with that wonderful sea breeze you speak of. Not to mention the coastal areas are more humid and thus a higher heat index. And I know San Antonio and Austin haven't gotten any real rain in over a month. The moist soil you speak of is long gone, and thank goodness it is. High humidity feels terrible.
Yes, you will sweat in both Corpus and in San Antonio/Austin, but, in the end, given frequent sea-breezes, summer-cloud cover, lush natural shade, and summer thunderstorms, Corpus would clearly be the lesser of two evils in terms of relief offered during summer. Corpus may be more humid, but Austin and San Antonio are far hotter on average during summer; Corpus goes years without reaching 100F, while Austin and San Antonio do so every year.

The moist soil was key in keeping temps down in San Antonio/Austin this year, and now that it has dried out, temps will only start to get more and more brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 02:00 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yes, you will sweat in both Corpus and in San Antonio/Austin, but, in the end, given frequent sea-breezes, summer-cloud cover, lush natural shade, and summer thunderstorms, Corpus would clearly be the lesser of two evils in terms of relief offered during summer. Corpus may be more humid, but Austin and San Antonio are far hotter on average during summer; Corpus goes years without reaching 100F, while Austin and San Antonio do so every year.

The moist soil was key in keeping temps down in San Antonio/Austin this year, and now that it has dried out, temps will only start to get more and more brutal.
97 is the average high in the hottest part of the summer in San Antonio.

Right now it feels like 101 in San Antonio with an air temperature of 95. (S wind at 12)

Right now in Port A it feels like 105 with an air temperature of 89. (S wind at 16)

FYI I would not call Port A lush be any stretch of the imagination...

I can post this everyday in the summer and it would not change.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
97 is the average high in the hottest part of the summer in San Antonio.

Right now it feels like 101 in San Antonio with an air temperature of 95. (S wind at 12)

Right now in Port A it feels like 105 with an air temperature of 89. (S wind at 16)

FYI I would not call Port A lush be any stretch of the imagination...

I can post this everyday in the summer and it would not change.
That's how hot inland TX is during summer; average highs nearly reach 100F. In coastal areas of the state, including Port Aransas, average highs in the hottest part of summer are still close to 90F; average highs during the hottest month don't even exceed 90F at Galveston.

Even though the heat index in Port Aransas is slightly higher, the breezes there are stronger, and cooler than those seen in San Antonio (16 vs 12, coming from the ocean rather than from dry land), thus mitigating much of the uncomfort present. On top of that, weather is cloudier, thunderstorms are more frequent, and natural shade is more plentiful in Port Aransas than at San Antonio. Port Aransas contains plentiful subtropical coastal flora to bring about a lush feel.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:41 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
There is also heat generated from cement - the country feels quite a bit cooler.
Nynet said he had a house in Port A but did not say it was waterfront. Rockport is a bit cooler than Corpus.

Summer is a big tourist season here- so guess too many don't mind. Being stuck in big city traffic is no way to spend a vacation.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Checking weather channel just now Aransas Pass Rockport 86 Austin 97 San Antonio 98 Dallas 102

Old 08-11-2015, 06:32 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Checking weather channel just now Aransas Pass Rockport 86 Austin 97 San Antonio 98 Dallas 102

The warmest heat index values for yesterday were:

San Antonio 103

Rockport 102

Port A 101

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : San Antonio, San Antonio International Airport

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Port Aransas, Mustang Beach Airport

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Rockport Aransas County Airport

Old 08-11-2015, 11:41 AM

You have shown that perceived conditions are hotter in San Antonio than in any of the other coastal cities; with the addition of frequent summer cloud cover, sea-breeze, lush vegetation, and thunderstorms, the coastal cities just have more opportunities for relief during summer than inland Texas cities.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:29 PM

Rockport Airport is on the other side of Hwy 35 away from the water. Without the ocean Rockport is just another hot place. ITs still hot on the coast but I'm 52 ft from the ocean and the breeze is nice. My guess is on my pier its up to 5 degrees cooler than my front yard which is still cooler than downtown.

Once again when people visit Rockport -they almost always stay on the water.

Better than any place in Texas is the area around Ruidoso NM where I'm going tomorrow. Highs are in the low 70s

Old 08-12-2015, 05:48 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
For a family with 4 boys, San Antonio as it has theme parks and a new children's museum.

Austin and Corpus Christi are an easy 1-2 hour drive from SA.

Dallas is kind of off on its own, nothing special about that typical Middle-America town. It is BLAND AND BORING!

Old 08-12-2015, 05:53 PM

27 posts, read 25,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
Hello Texas!

I will be in the Lone Star State for 6 days: two in one city and four in another. (Long story)

During my time, I will have plenty of time to take my four boys sightseeing.

My question is this: 4 days in San Antonio and 2 days in Dallas or vice versa? Which would be better for exploring?

Thanks.
If you like history and culture San Antonio. If you like glamour and glitz Dallas. San Antonio is catching up with Dallas though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas