Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:48 PM

16 posts, read 17,015 times

Advertisements

I havent been there, only read about it online. I plan to visit, but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on Fredricksburg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:34 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Fredericksburg is my favorite town in my favorite part of the State. It might be one of my favorite places on earth thanks to a lot of wonderful memories I've made there.

It's the largest of the Hill Country towns (what I think of as the Hill Country, anyway), but it's still a sleepy, small town. Seems like the sidewalks roll up after dark. Weekends during nice weather are crowded with people on the Main Street shopping. Has a good sized HEB, a hospital, several decent restaurants, and a host of tourist traps as you might expect. Enchanted Rock is nearby and offers great hiking, as does Perdenales Falls, which is not too far away.

In terms of housing, I have no idea what the inventory is like, but would think good options for full time residents are highly sought after.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
Real estate there is very expensive. Anything cute and historic gets snapped up to rent out. All that's left are the fixer uppers and expensive homes. The town's economy is based on tourism, so there are a lot of retirees and few workers.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:58 PM

I would be there for retirement. What about cities nearby?

Old 10-20-2015, 09:08 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,974 times
Austin would be an hour fifteen minutes (1:15). San Antonio 2:15. San Angelo probably 50 minutes.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:26 PM

898 posts, read 2,564,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Austin would be an hour fifteen minutes (1:15). San Antonio 2:15. San Angelo probably 50 minutes.
Looks like you switched San Angelo and San Antonio.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:51 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
My folks retired out there some 20 years ago, bought a little 'ranchette' (25 acres) and raised sheep and trained herding dogs. They were about 15 miles north of FB, which kept the price reasonable and they had an ag. exemption on most of the acreage (23 of the 25) plus age exemptions to keep taxes down. As my dads health declined, they moved in closer to town onto about 3 acres and kept a handful of sheep and a couple of dogs. After my dad passed away, my mom moved into a '50+' community on the east end of town. Prices are somewhat high per sq ft., but manageable, and very easy to live as a retiree there.

Medical care is excellent for a town that size, it is a cottage industry with the number of middle class (and above) retirees moving out there. Kerrville is fairly close for serious medical care that can't be handled in-town. Restaurants are limited compared to a big town, and the good ones are expensive. Traffic is bad on the weekends (in town), but almost non-existent during the week. It is also more than just a tourist town (although that is big) - ranching, hunting, and the wine industry support quite a few workers. All-in-all, they had an excellent experience as retirees there.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:53 PM

I like the idea of 50+ neighborhood. I live in one here. If we make the move that's one thing I want to find. There are a lot of advantages.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:05 PM

17 posts, read 26,451 times
Here is the opinion:

Don't eat BBQ too late
Make sure to visit enchanted rock often
Ensure that the locals know you're local to get a discount
The Xmas fest is awesome
It gets very cold
It snows and ices
Don't eat the spicy map peppers from Hondo's unless you can take huge heat
Don't speed, cops
The allergies are hnorrid
Crafts!!!!!

Old 10-21-2015, 08:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
Looks like you switched San Angelo and San Antonio.
Not only that, San Antonio is accessed mostly via IH-10 from the Comfort intersection with US-87 which makes it just over an hour drive according to Google Maps. San Angelo and Austin are both accessed via slower hiways.

If I were looking to retire in that region, the Canyon Lake area would be my first choice, with it's positioning providing fairly easy access to other popular places such as Fredericksburg, New Braunels/Gruen, Kerrville, San Marcos, and of course, San Antonio.

Last edited by joqua; 10-21-2015 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas