Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,051 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in central austin with our two little girls and are seeking more of a small-town experience, a larger, older (100yrs plus or minus) home, and lower taxes, as well as a sense of community. Taylor looks great. Is there a community of resident artists or do people mostly commute to Austin? How about moms staying home with their kids? And does anyone know anything about the two private schools in town? Many thanks--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 10:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
My sisters in-laws live there, and her husband and his sister went to St. Mary's. St. Mary's has a good reputation and people from around the area (not just Taylor) send their kids there. I believe it's the same with the Lutheran School. I'm not sure about the artist community, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to do a little homework for you. Georgetown and Salado have large art communities, so even if people "commute" it may only be to these nearby areas. There are lots of stay at home moms. I live in Hutto, and there are some moms from there that are in a playgroup I'm in, and there are at least 2 other playgroups in the area.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 AM

18 posts, read 90,689 times
I was a stay at home mom in Georgetown for about five years, and an artist before that (had to put it on the back burner when the kids came due to lack of time). There are lots of places in town to see artwork, but it seems to be geared toward the retired people and singles rather than families. Worse there is not much of a live music scene.

The small town atmosphere makes Georgetown a great place for kids to grow up, but frustrating for parents who were used to Austin amenities. Would welcome any suggestions, as we will probably be moving back this year. It's my hope that some of the creative fringe type people will migrate to the outlying areas where costs are lower. So there will be more like minded people around. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas