Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,034 times

Advertisements

Hello.
My husband has been offered a job in kingville tx.
I have a 3 year old and a pre teen so I need to find out what we are getting ourselves into first.
We are looking to rent a 3-4 bedroom house. Is it cheap to rent?
Is there things to do with children?
How are the schools?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 09:16 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco27 View Post
Hello.
My husband has been offered a job in kingville tx.
I have a 3 year old and a pre teen so I need to find out what we are getting ourselves into first.
We are looking to rent a 3-4 bedroom house. Is it cheap to rent?
Is there things to do with children?
How are the schools?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Coco, what is your definition of "cheap" rent?

I don't know a lot about Kingsville (have driven thru it several times). It's a small town, not wealthy, but a county seat. Next to the famous King Ranch. I'd suspect it's 80%+ Hispanic. Has a small college there. Several great TexMex restaurants & a neat diner downtown. I would guess that the public schools are below average to average at best. (check the great schools site)

I would stay in a motel for a couple of weeks to get the lay of the land first before you pull the trigger on a rental in Kingsville (you might not like it, depending on your background & what you are wanting).

If I took a job in Kingsville (& had kids and wanted a suburban environment), I would probably commute from the Calallen area of Corpus Christi. A nice suburb (with good schools) next to a nice city (with LOTS to do). Looks like a 30 mile & 40 min. commute.

But maybe you want the small town vibe. There are times that I do. But if I had kids going to school, I'd pick Calallen (just outside Corpus) or maybe even the Flour Bluff area of CC. You might want to post in the Corpus board as well.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:42 AM

738 posts, read 765,888 times
They've been working to improve the town with some success. Most high earners who work in Kingsville still commute from the Southside of Corpus or Calallen area of Corpus. 30-40 minute commute in either case. If he is ok with an hour anywhere in Corpus is an option. Schools are better Southside/Calallen. Lots of outdoor kid activities in South Texas. Youth sports are a big deal especially baseball. Great beaches, fishing, hunting, and nature parks. Texas State Aquarium is first rate and currently expanding and has great stuff for kids. Little more info on where you are coming from and what the kids like would help with specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas