Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:11 AM

50 posts, read 40,477 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm travelling to Texas in a couple of months - never been to America before so thought I'd give Texas a go... I'm a 28 year old male and will be on my own, but I've heard Texans are incredibly friendly so don't think that'll be an issue?

I'm not a fan of staying around in one place for too long, so my planned trip is:

Denton > Fort Worth > San Angelo > Austin > San Marcos > San Antonio > Dallas

I realise that it's a lot of driving, but wanted to take in a couple of the smaller towns and see as much as possible.

Is that trip feasible, and is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 07:30 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,731,239 times
Honestly, if I had never been to the US before, Texas would be one of the last places I'd visit. The state is huge, so it will take a long time to travel around. Our big cities are boring, and you'll run out of touristy things to see after a day or two.

Go to NYC, DC, or California. You'll love it as a tourist. If you go to New York, you could drive around to see Niagara Falls and upstate NY. Depending on how much time you have, you might enjoy New Hampshire and Vermont.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:39 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,686,859 times
Friendliness should not be an issue; unless, ofc, you mean over-friendly and are referring to the many women that will swoon over your 'accent'? .

I notice Houston is not on your list, and it has quite a bit to do/see there (as well as old Galveston, possibly). Not sure what you interests may be, so it is hard to comment on the itinerary any more than that.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:46 AM

50 posts, read 40,477 times
Haha, I have a Northern English accent, not the Hugh Grant/Royalty/posh type!

I fly into and out of DFW, so decided to loop round west - would have added another long journey to include Houston. Maybe another time if I like Texas enough!

I'm not a big one for seeing endless amount of tourist attractions really. I find they're usually expensive, full of people and can all feel a bit fake. I like to go to new cities, enjoy going to bars/pubs, music and sports.

Got a ticket for a Cowboys game and looking at taking in a college football game too. I know how much Texas loves its football after watching Friday Night Lights!

Old 08-10-2016, 07:58 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,179,194 times
Nothing wrong with your choice of cities but if it were me, I'd change the order from:

Denton > Fort Worth > San Angelo > Austin > San Marcos > San Antonio > Dallas

To:

Denton > Fort Worth > San Angelo > San Antonio > San Marcos >Austin >Dallas

Old 08-10-2016, 08:08 AM
q32

42 posts, read 58,464 times
I'd recommend a stop in Abilene on the way from Ft. Worth to San Angelo, if you get the chance. It's not the shortest route, but you only add 10-15 minutes by taking the detour to go through Abilene. We've got some good museums, sights, etc for being a small city, and some pretty good restaurants too (Buffalo Gap is a small town just south of here, which has the famous Perini Ranch Steakhouse).

I hope you enjoy your visit!

Old 08-10-2016, 09:37 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,731,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand_new View Post
I'm not a big one for seeing endless amount of tourist attractions really. I find they're usually expensive, full of people and can all feel a bit fake. I like to go to new cities, enjoy going to bars/pubs, music and sports.
Makes sense. But why not skip a few cities in Texas and go to the Grand Canyon or Santa Fe? They are VERY different than anything you would see in most of Texas.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
You should have a blast - all of the cities you mention are fun. I would plan to spend more time in San Antonio or Austin and just do maybe an afternoon in San Marcos though - it's a hectic, rather unpleasant little college town in my opinion, with lots of construction and messed up streets.

One thing I would recommend adding to your mix while you in the Austin and San Antonio region is a short drive out to Fredericksburg and Luckenbach, with a stop at Pedernales Falls and maybe a winery. That's a beautiful area and will really give you a feel for more rural Texas. Be sure to go to Luckenbach in the evening and catch one of the nightly impromptu jam sessions out there. Nearly every night there's a circle of folks with guitars and other instruments, just sitting around outside singing. It's pretty awesome in a really laid back way. You will find everyone from bikers to Brits out there. There's also a dance hall at Luckenbach.

Fredericksburg is a cute town with lots of German influence. Pedernales Falls is scenic.

If you are like many people, you will find yourself just driving through that Texas Hill Country taking in the sights. It's a unique area. Wimberley, Marble Falls, Dripping Springs, all the way out to Banderas - nice drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZeYDBY4fw

In fact, if you're going to be driving through Texas you need to download a bunch of fitting music - Lyle Lovett, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Beyonce, Selena, George Jones, Robert Earl Keen would be a good start. And as for good Texas road music, Amos Lee isn't from Texas but his album Mission Bell is great Texas road trip music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4xY__FoDzY

Perfect small town Texas song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0iXfnyAZhs

Poor Selena - a lost talent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCD...W6kcdzJ9okk94w

Jam from Stevie Ray - another lost talent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtLwuPCUEdg

Here you go - just for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMhaehb5AnE

Old 08-10-2016, 10:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Makes sense. But why not skip a few cities in Texas and go to the Grand Canyon or Santa Fe? They are VERY different than anything you would see in most of Texas.
Texas is very different from any place in the UK. The OP wants to visit Texas. I can understand that because I have European friends who LOVE to visit Texas and come visit every few years - and they've seen many parts of the US. But Texas is one of their favorite places so they come back year after year.

I don't understand your efforts to try to dissuade the OP. Texas has a very interesting culture and it's very pleasant in the fall. AND FOOTBALL!!!! WOOHOOOO!!!

Old 08-10-2016, 10:47 AM

12,959 posts, read 13,382,149 times
If you are driving I-35 between San Antonio & Dallas, be aware that the traffic can be terrible all the way and the heavy construction for miles at a stretch is nerve wracking.

Stop at the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco. It's well worth an hour of your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas