Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:00 PM

37 posts, read 38,303 times

Advertisements

We're considering moving to TX. It's the usual reason. R/E in California is insane and we want a nice house. The only experience I have with Texas was working in Houston for a little bit. I was really living out of a hotel room and been there every other week. So really the only information we have is from rumors and what some people are saying: Houston is humid, Austin is cool and Dallas is... well, I don't know.

Here's the details:

1. We're a couple, no kids and if we're lucky it'll stay that way so we're perfectly okay leaving the good school districts to people with offsprings. However, if our dream place is in a good school district, We won't mind.
2. We'd like to be close to a city so we can check out a nice restaurant or a bar on the weekend or maybe see a show once in a while. We want to have a life or at least be able to drive to some life in 10-15 minutes.
3. Views from our house if possible.
4. I work from home so commute is not an issue. She'll find a part time job and go back to school (maybe).
5. We'd like a house. 3-4 bedrooms, 3 car garage would be nice so I can turn some of it into a wood shop. our budget is about 500k. We can stretch it out to 600k or more if we need to but I am a little worried about property taxes in Texas.

We're really open to any location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 11:02 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,094,321 times
About the least property taxes you will find are in Tyler, Texas. I don't know if it would work, at all for you. Not a lot of bars, as such. But several really good different non-chains to enjoy bar and dinner.

These two are about as nice as "most" any place in metro areas of Texas. I said most, lol

The Grove, and Juls come to mind.

The Grove – Tyler | Kitchen & Gardens

Juls | Restaurant, Lounge, & Cafe

If your wife wants to go to college, one of the best Junior Colleges in the country is here - Tyler Junior College, many medical 2 year programs, 11,000 students, most courses will transfer to universities. The University of Texas at Tyler almost 10,000 students, young school, but has Pharmacy College, and most other colleges you may want.

Most jobs in Tyler are medical related, or the other end, retail, not much in the middle. Tyler is THE Medical Center of East Texas, serves about 500,000 people, the ONLY level one Trauma Center in East Texas. Two large regional hospitals, plus The University of Texas Health Science Center, plus the Texas Joint and Spine Hospital

The University of Texas at Tyler has the Cowen Performing Arts Center, many shows plays that perform in Houston and Dallas, come thru the Cowen for performances here. It has been established 20 years. The East Texas Symphony Orchestra is very good for a smaller city. I moved back here after enjoying everything Houston had to offer in the 20 years I was there. I had season tickets to the Houston Symphony and was really surprised at the quality of the ETSO.

If you have to have the mega metro "fix" DFW is 2 hours or less away, depending where you going to in DFW and where in Tyler you live, Northwest outskirts, Hideway, or South Tyler, where most of the better/newer development is located.

I'm not sure Tyler would be active enough for you, or what your wife might do if she doesn't go to school, I'm a guy so I'm probably not really qualified on that aspect of this. lol

Anyway, there is enough interest on Tyler to have it's own sub-forum, by far the smallest city with a sub on here.

Oh, for the price range home you speak of, your would get for more "bang" for your "bucks" in Tyler than most major metros. I'm also a retired real estate broker. You may find a better "view" from your home "out" from town here. But NOTHING like Austin's west side, and much of the hill country that most on here will refer you too. Tyler, is pine trees, oaks, dogwood, azaleas in the spring, and will have SOME leave color started in about a month. Gentle rolling hills and meadows and forests.

But most of Texas, Tyler included WILL not be as clean as California. Unfortunately, many people here still litter. See, it's no "utopia" in the Tyler area, but one of the 2 maybe 3 nicest areas in Texas. More amenities than most 100,000 in city limits town, metro 225,000, 500,000 for health related care, as I stated.

Oh, you could have a "fairly" nice water front house here for the money you talk about, that "view" may be pretty good, you may have to look hard, but on Lake Palestine, 10-15 miles four lane road from Tyler it may be possible or a few areas on Lake Tyler, 10 minutes away. Oh,heck, we have a 14 story condo units that start a 250,000 over looking a golf course and small lake, called the Stretford in the Cascades, million homes. I've had people tell me that the Cascades remind them of North Carolina golf club developments.

I could live many other places, but I am here by choice, yeah, absolutely nicer places in some other parts of the country, sure. Best to you. If you would like to "direct" ask me questions, Tyler information is a hobby of mine, I'm "completely" retired, lol

Old 10-15-2016, 11:27 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,730,286 times
Ugggh, this post explains why I can't find a home in my budget in DFW.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:48 AM

101 posts, read 159,929 times
I'm also looking at relocating to TX and have been researching the state for a few months seriously. I'm far from an expert, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbluenote View Post
Houston is humid, Austin is cool and Dallas is... well, I don't know.
From most of the commentary and info I've read, most of TX is humid. Really humid and rough, during the summer. Sure, Houston is more-so, but Austin and Dallas are not going to be a walk in the park either.

Quote:
R/E in California is insane and we want a nice house.
Were you aware of property taxes in TX? Property may be less expensive than CA, but property taxes in TX are some of the highest in the nation (2nd highest, last I checked?).

Old 10-15-2016, 02:28 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,984,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbluenote View Post
We're considering moving to TX. It's the usual reason. R/E in California is insane and we want a nice house. The only experience I have with Texas was working in Houston for a little bit. I was really living out of a hotel room and been there every other week. So really the only information we have is from rumors and what some people are saying: Houston is humid, Austin is cool and Dallas is... well, I don't know.

Here's the details:

1. We're a couple, no kids and if we're lucky it'll stay that way so we're perfectly okay leaving the good school districts to people with offsprings. However, if our dream place is in a good school district, We won't mind.
2. We'd like to be close to a city so we can check out a nice restaurant or a bar on the weekend or maybe see a show once in a while. We want to have a life or at least be able to drive to some life in 10-15 minutes.
3. Views from our house if possible.
4. I work from home so commute is not an issue. She'll find a part time job and go back to school (maybe).
5. We'd like a house. 3-4 bedrooms, 3 car garage would be nice so I can turn some of it into a wood shop. our budget is about 500k. We can stretch it out to 600k or more if we need to but I am a little worried about property taxes in Texas.

We're really open to any location.
Austin is hot in the summer time, but less humid than Houston.
-WT

Old 10-15-2016, 02:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,962,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb View Post
I'm also looking at relocating to TX and have been researching the state for a few months seriously. I'm far from an expert, though.

From most of the commentary and info I've read, most of TX is humid. Really humid and rough, during the summer. Sure, Houston is more-so, but Austin and Dallas are not going to be a walk in the park either.
Yes--most of Texas is humid. With the exception of Far West Texas and portions of the panhandle plains.

Austin may be cool, but certainly not in a weather sense!

I'd advise the OP to look in or near one of the larger cities. Houston probably has the most diverse concert/restaurant/bar/show scene in the state (it is the country's 4th largest city.)

As far as weather goes, there's a reason we have air conditioning everywhere in the state.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,501 times
I live in Houston and it is noting but amazing. The only downside of it would have to be the large amount of people that are here. I love it here, but there is always traffic. I see a ton of fender-benders every day. But, if you dont mind that, I definitely recommend looking in to Houston! Also, I am an avid golfer. Houston has some of the best courses I have ever played. Kingwood Country Club is my #1 go to!! I wish y'all the best of luck!!

Old 10-22-2016, 03:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,766 posts, read 58,200,174 times
Boerne, Tx. Views, good schools,(resale + engaged and supportive community) < 30 min to SA and a host of nice vacation / retreat towns, 1 hr to Austin. Very close to UTSA and a lot of jobs, services, and activities in NW SA

Happening suburban town, tad expensive for TX, but there are other places nearby to fit your budget.

TX is really HOT in summer. Have you considered income tax free WA?

You like woodworking? Visit In November. Schedule near Thanksgiving to see the great Hill Country Christmas Lighting parades and events. I have been flying from PNW and attending this show for its 17 yrs. now I have a winter place nearby with a 35x70 workshop. It also has a nice cabin for us, and main home rents out for 3x the mortgage payment. (View, pond, small farm, lots of wildlife, all possible for under $200k, taxes are <$2000/yr)
Texas Furniture Makers Show | Kerr Arts and Cultural Center
https://texashighways.com/travel/ite...y-light-trails

I worked 40+ yrs for a CA based company.... lesson from coworkers - keep an investment property in the CA real estate market to preserve your prop 13 status. You may want to return to CA some day, and CHEAP property taxes and a paid off home will make that ezr.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-22-2016 at 04:03 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 06:42 AM

49 posts, read 68,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb View Post

Were you aware of property taxes in TX? Property may be less expensive than CA, but property taxes in TX are some of the highest in the nation (2nd highest, last I checked?).
I don't understand why people keep harping on the high property taxes in Texas. You must preface that by saying there is ZERO income tax in Texas. Plus I would rather pay LOCAL taxes to help my OWN community than pay an over bloated state government $ that no one knows where it goes and most likely does NOT go back into your local community.

When you discuss the property tax / income tax ratio there will be a sweet spot in income that it will make more sense to have zero income tax and higher property taxes. Plus most people are moving to Texas from EXTREMELY high cost of living places with VERY HIGH cost of real estate.

You need to compare apples to apples when you compare property tax. A 3000 sq foot house in a decent (not great) area in California would be 1 million, which you could get the same home in Texas for $500k. When you add the double cost of the home, the property tax even in California is close to Texas. Now you factor in the ZERO income tax in Texas vs the 10% income tax in California and it is a no brainer!

I would take that any day from a strictly financial standpoint. If I can afford $1 Million dollar home in California I'm probably making a good amount of income that I'm paying 8-10% state tax on, that in Texas is zero.

Now that doesn't factor in weather, shops, ocean, but realize you will PAY for those things in California.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:03 AM

4,854 posts, read 3,657,966 times
Fort Worth. Homes are affordable, decent schools, lots of fun stuff to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas