Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2022, 10:54 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Off topic, but the former lack of employment you mention is the reason talent has been so easy to grow there for the past decade +. From my peers, I hear it’s no where as easy as it used to be so it’s likely near the topping out point. It’s atleast well past the inflection point by now.

With San Antonio being nearby, they may eventually catch some of the CenTex magic in the near future.
Yeah, in the same way (on a larger scale) Phoenix has been able to use its proximity to SoCal, relatively cheaper housing, and fewer onerous regulatory processes to its economic benefit - we could potentially see this for San Antonio soon in terms of its relationship to Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 06:57 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Forgotten no but overshadowed yes. I spend a significant amount of time in the city for work but can't really think of anything that would make me move there over other major Texas cities. The Riverwalk gets old quick and there is nothing else unique about it when compared to the other major Texas cities.

I will say, it seems I meet the most contempt people in all of Texas living in San Antonio. Rarely do I hear major complaints. Residents generally seem to like it. Can't say the same for the other Texas cities which have their fair share of haters.

Right now, it does offer more bang for your buck in terms of housing.
That's how I feel honestly. It's just overshadowed by the other 3 and if I may add a couple of other reasons why I feel as though San Antonio is overshadowed b the other 3.

1) Best city in TX for family vacation but not much appeal for Millennials compared to the other 3. One thing I hear constantly about San Antonio is how "boring" it is. Now I'm not personally saying this but this is what I hear from Millennials. From my experience San Antonio has improved on vibrancy in the city center for it's everyday Millennial residents. I've seen lofts popping up and new shops and eateries catered more to residents in the heart of the city. You also have the Pearl which I really enjoy. It's a true gem. With that said the city center is still largely centered around tourist. Outside of San Antonio's center compared to the other 3 there's not much that separates it apart from Houston, Dallas, Austin. San Antonio feels smaller outside of it's core compared to the other 3. Even compared to Austin.

2) San Antonio lacks the kind of diversity Houston, DFW and even Austin has. When I visit San Antonio I notice real quick that it's a very Mexican, White, Black town. Don't get me wrong San Antonio is full of rich Mexican enclaves. There's nothing wrong with that AT ALL. But with the influx of immigrants and 2nd gen Millennials rising in major cities most would probably prefer to live in cities that already have a sizeable presence there.

3) Like someone mentioned earlier compared to the other 3 San Antonio White collar jobs are much smaller than the other 3. Which imo gives San Antonio outside of it's tourist area more of a hometown vibe than a true city vibe.

4) Personally I think the big military presence and the fact it's not as liberal as the other 3 make it less appealing to Millennials in White collar industries , liberal leaning demographic and certain immigrant groups that generally flock to other cities in TX.

With all that said IMO, San Antonio is a fine city. If you're raising a family and looking for a cheaper option with the same amenities as the other TX cities plus with a rich history unlike anything else in TX and diversity is not that big of a deal breaker to you than I would suggest San Antonio over the other cities.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:34 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,402 times
I think you will see in the future...San Antonio BECOMING more appealing to everyone, because of the condition, cost, crime and congestion of DFW, Houston and Austin.

Ditto for cities like El Paso and maybe San Angelo, Lubbock and Abilene.

With remote work becoming more the norm, people will elect to raise their kids in a less congested, lower crime medium sized city versus DFW, Houston or Austin.

The rising costs of the larger city housing markets will also be a driving force.

PS: the River Walk is just not a factor. Those I know that live in San Antonio never go anywhere near the River Walk or those few terrible tourist trap restaurants.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:44 AM

899 posts, read 2,286,957 times
Houston and Dallas are anchors of two of the top 5 MSA's. Austin is very much an "it" city.

Out of the "Big 4" of Texas, someone has to be last.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:09 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
That's how I feel honestly. It's just overshadowed by the other 3 and if I may add a couple of other reasons why I feel as though San Antonio is overshadowed b the other 3.

1) Best city in TX for family vacation but not much appeal for Millennials compared to the other 3. One thing I hear constantly about San Antonio is how "boring" it is. Now I'm not personally saying this but this is what I hear from Millennials. From my experience San Antonio has improved on vibrancy in the city center for it's everyday Millennial residents. I've seen lofts popping up and new shops and eateries catered more to residents in the heart of the city. You also have the Pearl which I really enjoy. It's a true gem. With that said the city center is still largely centered around tourist. Outside of San Antonio's center compared to the other 3 there's not much that separates it apart from Houston, Dallas, Austin. San Antonio feels smaller outside of it's core compared to the other 3. Even compared to Austin.

2) San Antonio lacks the kind of diversity Houston, DFW and even Austin has. When I visit San Antonio I notice real quick that it's a very Mexican, White, Black town. Don't get me wrong San Antonio is full of rich Mexican enclaves. There's nothing wrong with that AT ALL. But with the influx of immigrants and 2nd gen Millennials rising in major cities most would probably prefer to live in cities that already have a sizeable presence there.

3) Like someone mentioned earlier compared to the other 3 San Antonio White collar jobs are much smaller than the other 3. Which imo gives San Antonio outside of it's tourist area more of a hometown vibe than a true city vibe.

4) Personally I think the big military presence and the fact it's not as liberal as the other 3 make it less appealing to Millennials in White collar industries , liberal leaning demographic and certain immigrant groups that generally flock to other cities in TX.

With all that said IMO, San Antonio is a fine city. If you're raising a family and looking for a cheaper option with the same amenities as the other TX cities plus with a rich history unlike anything else in TX and diversity is not that big of a deal breaker to you than I would suggest San Antonio over the other cities.

Since when has Austin become bigger than San Antonio?

Austin may receive the most attention by the media but it still hasn't caught up to the big three. Not yet at least it will be a long time before that happens at least untill it catches up to S.A. in population. San Antonio is growing very fast as well.

San Antonio is far more heavily urbanized with a higher population density. All you have to do is compare Bexar county with Travis county where the main urbanized area is located and San Antonio is almost twice the size.

Travis county which includes all Austin and many of it's suburbs has about 1.27 million versus 2.1 million for Bexar county. They are both about the same size in land area. San Antonio is more dense it is a much older city and urban core that developed as a big city much earlier in time this is why there are far more historical districts.

Austin has more high rise development but it has a smaller urban core. San Antonio's inner city population is also more dense overall.

The area around UT is densely populated but outside that it doesn't compare to San Antonio's overall density.

San Antonio looks more like a big city with far more office building stock outside the downtown core than Austin.

Austin has the bigger downtown skyline which gives the appearance of a bigger city if looking at the skyline from a distance. Austin has a bigger skyline than Phoenix, Rome and Washington DC and a lot of others including S.A. but this doesn't mean it is the bigger city.

The Riverwalk goes far beyond the tourist section into many historic neighborhoods where it is intertwined with the urban fabric of central S.A. The Riverwalk has museums, performing arts center, art districts, theatres, city parks, corporate offices, schools, civic institutions that are built along the Riverwalk. It is not just hotels and tourist related.

There have been thousands of residential units built along and in the vicinity of the Riverwalk with more in the pipeline and currently under construction.

In addition San Antonio is building another urban waterway that is 4 miles long through the downtown area near the Riverwalk filled with art and spurring residential development. UTSA's downtown expansion, ruby city museum, the new Texas Public Radio HQ at the historic Alameda theatre are all located along the San Pedro Creek Culture Park.

Austin also has a vibrant Urban core but it hasn't surpassed San Antonio's outside having more high rise development.

San Antonio's urban core has more distinct urban districts. The Pearl district exudes the element of urbanity moreso than anything in downtown Austin. Austin has the Domain but that is not located downtown. Raney Street is a small vibrant neighborhood but nothing on the level of the Riverwalk.

If the Riverwalk were a street and had a linear layout like a Blvd the urban segment would be more than 5 miles long filled with dense urbanity and vibrancy. This would make San Antonio's downtown even more vibrant than it already is.

The Pearl has won global awards for it's architecture and urban development. It is filled with fine restaurants, retail, farmers market, culinary institute, music venue and amphitheater, bars and lounges, and residential all built along the Riverwalk. The Museum Reach and the Tobin Performing Arts center is just down the River.

The Tobin Hill area as well as River North are becoming more urban as well as the districts of Southtown that include several neighborhoods; King William, Lavaca, and up and coming neighborhoods of Lone Star, Collins Garden and Roosevelt. Not to mention Brackenridge Park/ S.A. Zoo district, Five Points and N.Starys Strip all seeing urban renewal. Lower and upper Broadway through Alamo Heights is also seeing urban development.

As far as economy San Antonio still holds on to third place in Texas. It has more multi billion dollar comparations despite Austin landing Oracle and Tesla. San Antonio's has bigger F500 and private companies and more of them.

And lastly, Austin and San Antonio are comparable for their diversity, but not to the same degree as Houston and Dallas.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 04-09-2022 at 09:18 PM..

Old 04-10-2022, 11:12 AM

2,217 posts, read 1,392,009 times
SHSA is like the Russian media for San Antonio.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
I think you will see in the future...San Antonio BECOMING more appealing to everyone, because of the condition, cost, crime and congestion of DFW, Houston and Austin.

Ditto for cities like El Paso and maybe San Angelo, Lubbock and Abilene.

With remote work becoming more the norm, people will elect to raise their kids in a less congested, lower crime medium sized city versus DFW, Houston or Austin.

The rising costs of the larger city housing markets will also be a driving force.

PS: the River Walk is just not a factor. Those I know that live in San Antonio never go anywhere near the River Walk or those few terrible tourist trap restaurants.
I strongly agree with most of your comment.

You are missing out though, downtown San Antonio is tons of fun.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:26 PM

Nice comment Sweethome!

Old 04-10-2022, 07:25 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyeverbodywants View Post
Why are you saying that SA is not congested? In my opinion, it certainly is congested. Drive along the 2-lane 1604 lately? The 35S from Hwy 90 has not been improved since about the 1960s or 70s. I can't speak for the 281 stretching northward from 1604, but that was also congested for as long as I can remember.
Ooof, 1604 is a nightmare. I can't believe Google Maps tells Houstonians to take it to get across San Antonio? Maybe at 11:00 pm that would work, but otherwise...?

Old 04-10-2022, 07:58 PM

Looks like he said less congested, not "not congested". Fwiw I agree with him. San Antonio is totally less congested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas