Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Interesting. I'm much more concerned with the true attitude of the person I'm socializing OR doing business with, rather than the particular words they use (which may or may not be indicative of that attitude). I don't tend to use those terms myself, professionally or socially, but if a person treats me with respect, if they call me "hon", I'm not likely to take offense - in fact, I'd feel that I was trying very hard to find something to be offended by, if I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 11:48 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
Seems like Texans (or maybe southerners in general) call people by their names in conversation more than some people do........and if we don't know their name we just feel the 'need' to call them something.....so it usually comes out as sweetie or babe or hon.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:53 PM

415 posts, read 1,718,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Interesting. I'm much more concerned with the true attitude of the person I'm socializing OR doing business with, rather than the particular words they use (which may or may not be indicative of that attitude). I don't tend to use those terms myself, professionally or socially, but if a person treats me with respect, if they call me "hon", I'm not likely to take offense - in fact, I'd feel that I was trying very hard to find something to be offended by, if I did.
While it's true that people have slightly different interpretations of the meanings of words, your subconscious plays a big role in your diction. I would say that it's easier to get someone's true attitude from their word choice than any demeanor they temporarily don. Almost every word or phrase out there has a synonym or two, and the connotation of the one you choose speaks volumes, as it were.

If you could only mean what was said, irony wouldn't exist. Since irony is well defined, it should be obvious that meaning can be conveyed beyond the specific words used. (Or, don't try to tell me it's respectful to be called Hon in a business setting...)

Old 03-04-2008, 01:22 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Problem here is that I've been on the wrong end of it.
Aw, case, I'm sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
In the Houston-Galveston area, I notice ma'am and sir are used fairly regularly. I use it every so often out of politeness. However, I rarely ever hear the shug, sweetheart, hun, or dear stuff, nor do I very often hear "bless your heart." (Same goes for San Antonio when I visit.) I actually look to that as somewhat impolite, passive-aggressive or uneducated behavior, but it's nothing to be bothered about. When I do hear it, I know I'm out in the country or close to it. Or maybe somewhere in DFW. I hear it there (and the whole Southern accent) a lot more than in Houston or SA. That's not to say I don't hear it - it's just a bit more neutral-diluted down here.
What CallMeLaura, Gretchen and others have said - I agree, too, that it's not appropriate in a business setting, especially a meeting; however, I'll qualify that by saying it depends what kind of a setting, IMO anyway. I work in a very informal industry, construction materials testing to be exact, and consequently alot of the men are your good ol' boys, country and redneck types. I once had a boss from Arkansas, an engineer no less, call me doll or babe and my current boss is a few years younger than me and he's from Mississippi, he calls me dear or babe. Contractors on the phone will sometimes call me sweetheart, hon, etc. But these are the guys you can tell are Texan/Southern by their accents.

If we're not in a meeting or I know they're not coming on to me, etc., it doesn't bother me.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:11 PM

397 posts, read 1,026,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Aw, case, I'm sorry!

What CallMeLaura, Gretchen and others have said - I agree, too, that it's not appropriate in a business setting, especially a meeting; however, I'll qualify that by saying it depends what kind of a setting, IMO anyway. I work in a very informal industry, construction materials testing to be exact, and consequently alot of the men are your good ol' boys, country and redneck types. I once had a boss from Arkansas, an engineer no less, call me doll or babe and my current boss is a few years younger than me and he's from Mississippi, he calls me dear or babe. Contractors on the phone will sometimes call me sweetheart, hon, etc. But these are the guys you can tell are Texan/Southern by their accents.

If we're not in a meeting or I know they're not coming on to me, etc., it doesn't bother me.
I think I know what you mean, and they may not mean badly by it, but I think these good ol' boys types often use it because (1) they have never been educated otherwise or (2) because they still harbor some sexist notions towards women. I just don't think it has a place in the business world - an engineer should know better.

This problem, BTW, is not unique to TX. We have some clients in Bakersfield, CA [where there are lots of these good ol' boy types] who also do this type of thing over the phone. I usually give them the benefit of the doubt by assuming that they are not being sexist, but simply have not been raised any better, and so I will usually say something like "feel free to address me as Ms. ...." They usually get it quickly, and the problem is solved.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:16 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
Bakersfield, huh? If I remember correctly, that town historically had a great number of migrants from Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas after the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression. Would make sense! But, and this is just what I see on tv, not from experience, it seems as if your average, blue-collar New Yorker addresses women in the same way. Have you noticed that?

Old 03-04-2008, 03:54 PM

397 posts, read 1,026,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Bakersfield, huh? If I remember correctly, that town historically had a great number of migrants from Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas after the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression. Would make sense! But, and this is just what I see on tv, not from experience, it seems as if your average, blue-collar New Yorker addresses women in the same way. Have you noticed that?
Yep, I think you are right. Just as I said, this is not a TX problem. Incidentally, you are right about Bakersfield. Many who live there absolutely love it. I find it hard to share their passion for it, and luckily I can do most of my work with clients there by teleconferencing from San Diego. I think if I were Texan, and lived there, I'd consider moving back lol! It has, of course, some of the cheapest real estate in CA, but that wouldn't lure me there for the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas