Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 08:09 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
And the governor will sign away Texas' future potential.
If only it might keep more people from moving here to Texas, it would a silver lining to the ridiculousness of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 03:43 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You'd lose that bet.
Right. Religions that have extremely strict gender roles are going to be A-OK with men and women parading around in each other's restrooms.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Has the whole world gone mad?

Whether a person is a man or a woman is programmed into our DNA. It is a LIFE BASIC. Whether or not someone believes this doesn't change the reality of it.

The number of people whose DNA doesn't match their genitalia is minuscule. The vast majority of people with gender identity issues are EITHER MALE OR FEMALE DOWN TO THE TINIEST SNIPPET OF DNA IN THEIR MALE OR FEMALE BODIES with correctly corresponding genitalia. Just because they don't accept this doesn't make it any less true.

This scientific fact has nothing to do with religion.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread; but, as a woman and someone who has worked in security and the criminal justice field for almost a decade, this bathroom bill is going to make me feel less safe.

Transgender women have been using women's restrooms for years. Hardly any sexual predator has gone through the trouble of dressing up as a woman to sexually assault women in public restrooms. A few years ago, I was using the restroom in a government building during the time San Antonio was debating its own bathroom ordinance. I saw a man with a beard and men's clothing walk out of a stall and wash his hands. It freaked me out. But, the thing is, I couldn't tell if he was a transgender man or a cisgender man. So, now I'm afraid that men who were born as males will exploit this bathroom bill.

I can only imagine that there are going to be a lot of cases of transgender men having the police or security called on them for using the restroom they will be required to use by this law. This law also puts transgender women at risk of being sexually assaulted in men's restrooms just like they are regularly sexually assaulted in men's jails and prisons. And, what does this law do to protect little boys from being molested by men in the men's restroom? Absolutely nothing. Parents should be watching their young children.

If the state really cared about the safety of women and children, they would address the areas where large numbers of rape, statutory rape, and child molestation actually occur. What about the potentially thousands of women who have been sexually assaulted on college campuses? Why not do something about colleges turning a blind eye to this problem? What is Texas going to do to stop teachers from sleeping with and molesting their students? Are they going to ban female teachers from teaching boys and male teachers from teaching girls? Contrary to popular belief, most victims of molestation were molested by someone they knew.

I don't know why conservatives talk about gun control laws and gun-free zones being ineffective because only law-abiding citizens are going to abide by them. Then, how come they believe that a bathroom bill is going to do anything to curb rapists and pedophiles?
Best response yet! My thoughts exactly. It seems like a few people on here lack the ability to look at the complexity of this issue. They're driven by fear and propaganda. Children are statistically more likely to be molested and abused by someone they know -- a teacher, priest, coach, uncle, etc.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Has the whole world gone mad?

Whether a person is a man or a woman is programmed into our DNA. It is a LIFE BASIC. Whether or not someone believes this doesn't change the reality of it.

The number of people whose DNA doesn't match their genitalia is minuscule. The vast majority of people with gender identity issues are EITHER MALE OR FEMALE DOWN TO THE TINIEST SNIPPET OF DNA IN THEIR MALE OR FEMALE BODIES with correctly corresponding genitalia. Just because they don't accept this doesn't make it any less true.

This scientific fact has nothing to do with religion.
They'll use the brain scans evidence of transpeople having similar brains to their identified gender but this opens up a new can of worms. First there aren't male or female brains per se or is there any evidence of there being unalterable brain microstructures. Any differences in brains would be the result of behavior. But after the whole notion of their brains being close to their identified gender was challenged now advocates are saying trans people just have wholly different brains from both male and females.

First they wanted to say that gender was a social construct while sex is real but now they're saying that sex is also a social construct. This trans theory stuff changes so much as to render it questionable science at best.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
They'll use the brain scans evidence of transpeople having similar brains to their identified gender but this opens up a new can of worms. First there aren't male or female brains per se or is there any evidence of there being unalterable brain microstructures. Any differences in brains would be the result of behavior. But after the whole notion of their brains being close to their identified gender was challenged now advocates are saying trans people just have wholly different brains from both male and females.

First they wanted to say that gender was a social construct while sex is real but now they're saying that sex is also a social construct. This trans theory stuff changes so much as to render it questionable science at best.
You are not kidding.

My family has a long history of mental health issues (serious mental health issues - debilitating in fact) on my mother's side. I had my DNA analyzed. Though I have no evidence of mental health issues in my own life (at age 55, so I think I'm pretty safe), my DNA does show that I have over five times the risk of mental health issues. (The general population has a debilitating mental illness rate of 2 percent - my DNA pinpoints my risk at 11 percent.)

Well, guess what. I don't and never have abused drugs or alcohol. Not as a teen, not as a young adult, and not now. But my brother has - since he was a young teen. He has fried his brain with drugs, huffing, and alcohol abuse.

And when he was in his late 30s he was involuntarily committed and diagnosed with schizophrenia. And guess what - there are now scientific studies that support the theory that the regular use of marijuana can cause changes in the brain of teens and young adults and actually bring schizophrenia that may have been latent or may have never even emerged (though the predisposition was there) to fruition. Based on my brother's heavy usage of MJ (as well as other drugs and alcohol) during his teen and adult years, I think there's a distinct possibility that his LIFESTYLE created changes in his brain which brought his latent schizophrenia or predisposition to the forefront. By the way, his medical team noted the lifetime of drug and alcohol abuse as contributing directly to his mental health issues - which created changes in his brain chemistry.

Let's look at another disease - Alzheimer's:

Quote:
Scientists believe that for most people, Alzheimer's disease is caused by a combination of genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors that affect the brain over time.

Less than 5 percent of the time, Alzheimer's is caused by specific genetic changes that virtually guarantee a person will develop the disease.

Although the causes of Alzheimer's aren't yet fully understood, its effect on the brain is clear. Alzheimer's disease damages and kills brain cells. A brain affected by Alzheimer's disease has many fewer cells and many fewer connections among surviving cells than does a healthy brain.
Hell, INACTIVITY creates brain changes!

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...ges-the-brain/

Neurological studies over the last 20 years show that the brain retains "plasticity" or the capacity and ability to be reshaped and experience changes, over the course of our lifetimes, often altered by lifestyles and life choices.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Kathy, good post but I just repped you! Consider this a second one.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Kathy, good post but I just repped you! Consider this a second one.
Haha, back atcha - on both threads on this tiresome topic.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:09 PM

Thank you Kathy. I just don't like it that they're dragging kids into this and prescribing dangerous medication. It's gotten out of hand.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:56 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,753,785 times
So Im a dark skin black male. If I identify myself as white am I white?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas