Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 11:04 AM

506 posts, read 510,075 times

Advertisements

And why?

I prefer H-E-B because I like the layout, the store selections, the fact they have Central Market and H-E-B Plus!.

Whenever I am in an area that has no H-E-B, I miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 12:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
HEB and Albertsons but I love HEB

Old 08-08-2017, 02:05 PM

554 posts, read 745,435 times
... Whenever we're in Texas (... we don't live there - quite yet! ...) we always make a trip to that fairly-new HEB in Lakeway ... It's like a whole 'nother city, in there!
The Randall's, right up the street, can't hold a candle to that HEB ...

Old 08-08-2017, 02:12 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
I think WinCo is the best. I was incredibly excited when they started building stores down here and I really wish there was one closer to me. I still occasionally make the trip out to one. I love their prices, bulk section and how well they pay and treat their employees, being a employee owned company and all.

I mostly shop at Aldi. Cheap, quick and I like the European small store format. I don't need 15 brands of peanut butter. I would shop at Trader Joe's more often if one was closer to where I live. I love TJoes for wine, cheese snacks etc.

I'll shop at Albertsons or Kroger sometimes.

I've been to a HEB once and I wasn't supper impressed to be honest. Lots of natives absolutely swear by it, so I'm sure there must be something to it. I suspect a large part of the "something" must be state pride because alot of the store brands used Texas in the names and labels.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:47 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
HEB is in very limited markets. Not sure why you think it's more statewide than it is. I had never heard of it until I moved to Austin. It's based in San Antonio. Those are the two main markets it's in. Randalls is very overpriced compared to HEB and those are my only two options in my area, so I shop at HEB.

When in Dallas, I shop at Kroger.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:27 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
HEB is mostly limited in Dallas and North Texas. It's in many cities and towns in other areas of Texas. I also found an article about them buying up land and even grocery stores in Dallas so that seems to be their next growth area. I've been raised on HEB and I seriously missed it when we lived in NC.

I will admit not all stores are equal in quality. When I lived in The Woodlands 20 years ago I did not shop at the HEB pantry stores because they were so limited in stock but it was really hard paying the high prices of other stores. Once we moved to Austin I was happy to have a full HEB again. It's my favorite store and I'm beyond spoiled to have 3 huge stores within 10 minutes and a cute little "designer" HEB in my neighborhood. I have never enjoyed grocery shopping but it's kind of fun when shopping a smaller store with products specifically chosen for the buying habits of your neighborhood.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
HEB is not in northeast Texas - in northeast Texas (I guess outside of Dallas?) Brookshires reigns supreme.

Brookshires even has a "Central Market" type of store called Fresh in Tyler. It's fabulous.

That being said, I do love HEB and wish it would move into northeast Texas but I've always heard there is some sort of "gentleman's agreement" that HEB and Brookshires won't move into each other's "territories." I don't know if that's true or not but HEB is edging closer and closer to the Tyler area.

Brookshires is a nice grocery store chain and Fresh is fantastic. But HEB could offer the same or better services and products. So we'll see.

For now, it's Brookshires and Fresh for me!

Old 08-09-2017, 12:54 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
I usually shop at one of these 4 grocery stores in Austin:

HEB on Slaughter and Manchaca and another HEB on West Wm Cannon at South 1st.

Central Market Westgate near where Ben White Blvd, HWY 290 East, South Lamar, and Westgate come together.

Whole Foods at the downtown location and the Whole Foods on West Wm Cannon,

Sprouts on Manchaca Road at West Wm Cannon .

Maybe about once a year I will go to Randall's, but only for a few items and when the HEB parking lot is overflowing. HEB is the best grocery store in the nation, in my opinion, that is, and their customer service is top notch.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:30 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Swear by the HEB! Love it. If they would go public I would be first in line to buy their stock, incredibly well-managed company in a cut-throat business with very slim profit margins!

I pity the parts of TX that don't have one! HEB does operate throughout south Texas and into Mexico.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:38 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
My favorite is HEB.

I notice no one has mentioned Walmart, but when I go there I notice it is full of people grocery shopping. I will not buy any fresh meat at Walmart, but I will use them for comparison shopping which IMO is about the only to shop there. Walmart use to be cheaper than anyone else on groceries, now I believe they are higher than most stores. I guess some people just haven't figured that out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That being said, I do love HEB and wish it would move into northeast Texas but I've always heard there is some sort of "gentleman's agreement" that HEB and Brookshires won't move into each other's "territories." I don't know if that's true or not but HEB is edging closer and closer to the Tyler area.
HEB and Brookshire's are located within a couple to three miles from each other here (and same county, so no county line dividing them that might a difference) so who knows. All I know is if it works in the customer's favor, I'm all for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas