Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2023, 02:45 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Maybe if your eyes are closed and you have noise cancellation headphones on
Oh please....

Most people who aren't emotionally tied to their opinions aren't going to go to San Antonio and come back with Southern vibes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 02:48 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,845 times
Kathryn, he was correct. Texans do not consider ourselves "southern," as that identification is long past. We're simply Texans. We have a minimum of seven regional accents, and they are not all southern-sounding. We range from coastal fisher to woodlands to oil patch to high finance to farming to ranching and on and on. Each of those areas has its own culture that blends into the greater Texan identity.

I grew up in the Panhandle, which was never part of the "South," being it wasn't settled until long after the Civil War. Our accent is closer to mid-west than southern, but even there it's different. We actually say "ing", for example.

I really do not care for all the people trying to shoehorn Texas into one category or another. We're just Texans. We don't need another cultural designation.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:49 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
I really do not care for all the people trying to shoehorn Texas into one category or another. We're just Texans. We don't need another cultural designation.
I don't understand people who actually give a **** about trying to say one place is or is not "Southern", "Midwestern", or whatever. A place is a place and the designators are for the sole purpose of people who want to try and define what cannot be defined. Stop pigeonholing places and just let them be what they are.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:58 PM

9,903 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Oh please....

Most people who aren't emotionally tied to their opinions aren't going to go to San Antonio and come back with Southern vibes.
Most people who aren’t emotionally tied to their opinions don’t overthink things don’t have a checklist of what makes the south what it is and base things regionally. San Antonio is regionally located in the south. That’s not anything to argue about.

What you are trying to say is that San Antonio isn’t the Deep South. Yes. Most would agree there. You’re confusing the two terms. There isn’t a single large geographical region in the United States that’s entirely monolithic, the American South included. San Antonio has completely different vibes from Atlanta. When most people think New York, they aren’t thinking Utica. Nonetheless, Utica is in the NE as much as San Antonio is in the south.

Old 06-14-2023, 03:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,815,368 times
Quote:
Oh please....

Like I said, I went to San Antonio with the tourist version of San Antonio. I didn't go there expecting it to be the south at all.

It's not after I lived there that I realized it was southern.

Have you lived there by chance? You really feel the southerness of residents when you become one of them.

I agree with Para. It's not deep south, but the people there definitely have that southern charm

Old 06-14-2023, 10:15 PM

3,892 posts, read 2,207,955 times
Quote:
Lots can be argued, but no way on earth is El Paso Southern.
I agree. El Paso is definitely western. Has more in common with Tucson or Albuquerque than any other Texas city. It's even in a different time zone: mountain.

Old 06-15-2023, 06:18 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I lived in San Antonio for 4 years. Right in the city.
It had a different demographic but it felt southern to me.
Ok, what city in the South does San Antonio remind you?

Old 06-15-2023, 10:08 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,308,925 times
People associate “The South” with the Southeast. Texas is not in the SE, so that’s where opinions start to differentiate. Texas’ culture is a blend of different cultures and a bit of what people view of as traditional southern is mixed in there as well. Much more so in the eastern part of the state.

Old 06-17-2023, 06:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
People associate “The South” with the Southeast. Texas is not in the SE, so that’s where opinions start to differentiate. Texas’ culture is a blend of different cultures and a bit of what people view of as traditional southern is mixed in there as well. Much more so in the eastern part of the state.
You are absolutely right.

Folks. We live in a huge state that is also smack dab in the middle of the southern half of our nation. Sheeze! IT'S BASICALLY A BORDER STATE, Y'ALL.

Old 06-18-2023, 07:57 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That’s not anything to argue about.

What you are trying to say is that San Antonio isn’t the Deep South. Yes. Most would agree there. You’re confusing the two terms.
You are mixing up definitions
Let’s get something straight … when people in the US say “The South” they are not talking about Los Angeles, Tucson, El Paso, Corpus Christi or Miami (notice that all of them are cities with high percentage of Latinos)

When Americans say “The South” they are usually referring to the states that were pro-slavery before he civil war and later had Jim Crow laws for almost 100 years.

That’s why nobody ever calls California, Arizona or New Mexico Southern states

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas