Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 AM

15 posts, read 13,379 times

Advertisements

So we're getting married and moving to Texas. I've never been except for airports, we're going to rent for 6 months to a year before buying. Right now were mostly looking at Dallas and Austin (probably outside of the main city). Also if theres a specific apartment place you recommend let me know. We have 2 cats, a gecko, and a dog. We're considering leaving the cat's with my parents until we're sure it's where we want to be so we don't stress them out too much. Hes been a lot and loves it, lived in el Paso. I've lived in Southern California and Rhode Island. This is what we're looking for...

1. He's a great performer and I'd like him to move somewhere he can still persue singing.
2. Has job opportunities. I'm a gymnastics coach, I don't know how big it is out there. But I am considering going back to school to be an rn, or become an emt. (Although I have my English degree so I guess I could become a substitute too.
3. Hiking and outdoor activities. I love kayaking and nature walks. I really want a little water nearby.
4. He doesn't want to be in a place that's really humid. I wouldn't mind considering Houston but I don't know if he would.

We both have chronic pain and the cold makes it worse. I'd like most of the year to be 70 to 90 degrees, I wouldn't mind random snow, and I know there's hotter days.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 09:06 AM

160 posts, read 197,129 times
Quote:
3. Hiking and outdoor activities. I love kayaking and nature walks. I really want a little water nearby.
Austin is the clear winner for hiking. Lots of really great state parks and lakes nearby. Outdoor activities around DFW are limited compared to Austin.

Quote:
4. He doesn't want to be in a place that's really humid. I wouldn't mind considering Houston but I don't know if he would.
The only place in Texas that isn't humid is far west Texas. Dallas, Austin, and Houston all have oppressive humidity in the summer. Its just something you have to accept.

Quote:
We both have chronic pain and the cold makes it worse. I'd like most of the year to be 70 to 90 degrees, I wouldn't mind random snow, and I know there's hotter days.
Its snows maybe once a year in DFW. Very rarely if ever does it snow in Austin or Houston. Its not uncommon for Houston and Austin to have week long periods of 100+ degree days. Again, hot and humid are just the way it is here. From June until October it is still over 90 degrees well after the sun goes down.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:16 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,274,037 times
All the major cities in Texas (unless you count El Paso) are going to be pretty humid and very hot.

Austin is ok for hiking.

Honestly, Texas doesn't sound like a good fit for what you are looking for.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:17 AM

Great thank you!

Hes looking for dry heat (why hes thinking el paso), but I'm good with humid as long as is hot and there's water. So maybe we'll look Austin and Houston if it's about the same humidity wise.

Are they about the same tornado wise? I know there's one out there now.

Does Houston have hiking?

Thanks again!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
Houston takes humidity to a whole other level. Also, it's very flat.

Austin is going to offer the best hiking.

Texas is in Tornado Alley. That being said, I've lived here 25 years and never had any significant damage from a tornado.

Other than far west Texas, you're not going to find a place that's not humid. And the panhandle gets a lot colder in the winter, so there's that. And southwest Texas is as flat as a flitter, whatever that means. Super flat. No hiking.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:05 AM

Ok so most likely Austin would be our best bet. I told him I'd consider El Paso but I just don't think it has much.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 AM

431 posts, read 258,151 times
I think you'll like Austin a bit more. Try looking for things in west Austin so you can be close to Lake Travis. It's a small lake but very scenic and plenty of out door things to do. You'll be about 3 hours from the nearest coastal beaches near Corpus Christie.

Dallas is a lot more cosmopolitan and much bigger with a diverse economy. If you consider Dallas proper stay in the White Rock Lake area (also a small lake). Not as scenic as lake Travis but a lot trails for hiking and biking and not too terribly far from the trendy uptown area.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2019, 12:39 PM

2,514 posts, read 2,223,585 times
What's your budget? Austin can get pretty expensive.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:01 PM

To buy 250k, to rent 1k a month or less ideally, could afford 1,300.

I was looking into Kyle. Anywhere within 20 minutes of the city is ideal.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:23 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,274,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyhaynes3590 View Post
To buy 250k, to rent 1k a month or less ideally, could afford 1,300.

I was looking into Kyle. Anywhere within 20 minutes of the city is ideal.
Unless you want a condo that budget isn't going to work in Austin.

Also, Austin is pretty humid especially if you are from the west.

El Paso is going to be the closest to offering what you are looking for, but that begs the question, why Texas?? Why not AZ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas