Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 06:43 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,048,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Dallas and even Ft Worth have sizable medical districts, albeit not like TMC.

Dallas combined with FW just has better culture, more population, better sports franchises, massive Texas Motor Speedway(nascar) and a much much mucho larger airport, that could be your size/scale item you've been looking for DFW Airport.
"Better culture" = how sway? Lol Houston is the most diverse metro in the country. Has more museums, more performing arts, and most people agree the people are friendlier and more cosmopolitan. But I'm happy to hear your counterargument.

Better sports franchises = maybe if we're only talking about the Cowboys, who are miles better than the Texans in every way. But the Rockets have more NBA titles, wins, Hall of Famers, and are a historically far better franchise than the Mavs. The Astros are one of the best franchises and baseball and have won a World Series, unlike the Rangers. Hell even the Dynamo have won two MLS Cups to none for FC Dallas.

On top of all that, all of Houston's stadiums are modern and centralized in the city. You can walk between Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park, and BBVA Compass and take rail to NRG Stadium. Three of Dallas four major league stadiums aren't even in the city, instead being sprawled across random burbs. The only real advantage Dallas has is there is hockey. So please explain how there are better sports franchises in DFW.

More population = cool!

NASCAR = true and also cool - not my thing but that's definitely an advantage for sure

Mucho mucho mucho larger airport = ehhhh, kind of but not really. DFW is a bigger airport with more domestic destinations, but most of the additional destinations are served by American Eagle (read: small commuter planes). Any major US destination is served from IAH as well (and though I'm not a fan of United, they are a little better than American imo). Additionally, IAH has more airlines serving it, more foreign destinations, and more international traffic, and that's not even including HOU which, in fact, also serves international traffic. There are only five metro areas in the US with more than one international airport (NYC, LA, South Florida, DC, and Houston). IAH will also become one of only a few airports in the world with nonstop service to all six inhabited continents when Ethiopian Airlines starts service to Houston this winter. DFW is a great airport too, but IAH has some strengths that DFW does not.

And with respect to the TMC, no the medical districts in Dallas and Ft. Worth aren't comparable. The TMC has some of the best hospitals in the world, especially when it comes to specialized things like cancer research/treatment and biomedical work. People come from across the globe to get treated there. The area is essentially the same size as downtown Dallas. Dallas and Ft. Worth do have great regional hospitals that serve the local population well, but we're talking apples and oranges here.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:07 AM

899 posts, read 2,287,689 times
Dallas has the State Fair of Texas, while Houston has the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:25 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default More population???

MORE POPULATION = KARACHI AND MUMBAI . Are those places considered COOL? They are also growing waaaaaay faster than Dallas. Well I guess Frisco is kind of like Karachi and Mumbai. I have heard some of the neighborhoods there being called "Little Mumbai"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
"Better culture" = how sway? Lol Houston is the most diverse metro in the country. Has more museums, more performing arts, and most people agree the people are friendlier and more cosmopolitan. But I'm happy to hear your counterargument.

Better sports franchises = maybe if we're only talking about the Cowboys, who are miles better than the Texans in every way. But the Rockets have more NBA titles, wins, Hall of Famers, and are a historically far better franchise than the Mavs. The Astros are one of the best franchises and baseball and have won a World Series, unlike the Rangers. Hell even the Dynamo have won two MLS Cups to none for FC Dallas.

On top of all that, all of Houston's stadiums are modern and centralized in the city. You can walk between Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park, and BBVA Compass and take rail to NRG Stadium. Three of Dallas four major league stadiums aren't even in the city, instead being sprawled across random burbs. The only real advantage Dallas has is there is hockey. So please explain how there are better sports franchises in DFW.

More population = cool!

NASCAR = true and also cool - not my thing but that's definitely an advantage for sure

Mucho mucho mucho larger airport = ehhhh, kind of but not really. DFW is a bigger airport with more domestic destinations, but most of the additional destinations are served by American Eagle (read: small commuter planes). Any major US destination is served from IAH as well (and though I'm not a fan of United, they are a little better than American imo). Additionally, IAH has more airlines serving it, more foreign destinations, and more international traffic, and that's not even including HOU which, in fact, also serves international traffic. There are only five metro areas in the US with more than one international airport (NYC, LA, South Florida, DC, and Houston). IAH will also become one of only a few airports in the world with nonstop service to all six inhabited continents when Ethiopian Airlines starts service to Houston this winter. DFW is a great airport too, but IAH has some strengths that DFW does not.

And with respect to the TMC, no the medical districts in Dallas and Ft. Worth aren't comparable. The TMC has some of the best hospitals in the world, especially when it comes to specialized things like cancer research/treatment and biomedical work. People come from across the globe to get treated there. The area is essentially the same size as downtown Dallas. Dallas and Ft. Worth do have great regional hospitals that serve the local population well, but we're talking apples and oranges here.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:41 AM

122 posts, read 222,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
He Houston "Bean" is stupid. Why be Knockoff Chicago? Like I don't even know why anyone would brag about that.

Dallas has the Eyeball and KW Park. The Eyeball is stupid, but at least is isn't a Chicago ripoff.

In addition to the largest St Patrick's Day Parade in Texas, Dallas also has Bastille on Bishop, the State Fair, the biggest Pride in Texas and a bunch of other stuff.

In the Nearby burbs you have at least half a dozen Oktoberfests, and places like Grapevine have grapefest and is the Christmas Capital of Texas.

Both Cities have great natural History museums.

Honestly both cities have alot of festivals and I don't think there is a clear winner.

Houston has a much larger Pride. Over 750,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...st_LGBT_events

Old 09-13-2019, 10:44 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Houston's baseball team won a World Series, Dallas hasn't.
Houston has two HBCUs, Dallas doesn't.
Downtown Houston is more lively than Downtown Dallas, although Central Dallas has nights where it's lively Downtown.

I will give Dallas credit, the TV show Dallas brought notoriety to Dallas outside of Texas. Houston hasn't really had major TV shows filmed in and around the city.
Ehhhh Technically Prairie View A&M is in Prairie View not Houston. Yeah it's close to Houston but that's kind of stretching it especially considering a lot of PV alumni comes from Dallas. PV has just as many Dallasites as they do Houstonians. Matter fact the DFW rap scene that had a spark some years back help put PV on the map. Dorrough/Mr.Rogers/GS Boyz/etc. all came out of PV or have PV connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Soon we will no longer need to worry about flooding in the Houston area. Currently a major undertaking is already started that will completely change the way flood waters are channeled. This current flood control plan will do away with almost all flooding. Also keep in mind that A storm like Harvry will only hit once every 500 years. I dont think any city would be able to deL with 4 feet of rain in a 3 day period.
Let me get some of that optimism your smoking on. LOL Unfortunately, Flooding will still be an issue in Houston and they can put as many band-aids on the situation as they want to but the city will continue to fall short due to decades of ignoring the signs in favor of greedy developers building whatever and wherever they want. We might not see Harvey for quite some time but it'll continue to be flooding of some kind in the metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Dallas and even Ft Worth have sizable medical districts, albeit not like TMC.

Dallas combined with FW just has better culture, more population, better sports franchises, massive Texas Motor Speedway(nascar) and a much much mucho larger airport, that could be your size/scale item you've been looking for DFW Airport.
DFW has better culture than Houston? LMAOOOO You got some jokes clearly.
Aside from Dallas having the Cowgirls, Houston does have the Astros and Rockets so yeah.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:15 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Ehhhh Technically Prairie View A&M is in Prairie View not Houston. Yeah it's close to Houston but that's kind of stretching it especially considering a lot of PV alumni comes from Dallas. PV has just as many Dallasites as they do Houstonians. Matter fact the DFW rap scene that had a spark some years back help put PV on the map. Dorrough/Mr.Rogers/GS Boyz/etc. all came out of PV or have PV connections.

Let me get some of that optimism your smoking on. LOL Unfortunately, Flooding will still be an issue in Houston and they can put as many band-aids on the situation as they want to but the city will continue to fall short due to decades of ignoring the signs in favor of greedy developers building whatever and wherever they want. We might not see Harvey for quite some time but it'll continue to be flooding of some kind in the metro.

DFW has better culture than Houston? LMAOOOO You got some jokes clearly.
Aside from Dallas having the Cowgirls, Houston does have the Astros and Rockets so yeah.
The Cowboys happens to be the most valuable sports franchise in the World.

The Cowboys and the Mavericks have very well known owners. I believe the average person knows that Mark Cuban owns the Mavs and Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys. With them being in the media, it helps market their sports franchises (directly and indirectly). That’s one thing that Houston doesn’t have.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:08 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The Cowboys happens to be the most valuable sports franchise in the World.

The Cowboys and the Mavericks have very well known owners. I believe the average person knows that Mark Cuban owns the Mavs and Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys. With them being in the media, it helps market their sports franchises (directly and indirectly). That’s one thing that Houston doesn’t have.
I’m not even arguing against Cowboys popularity. Everybody knows their one of the most popular sports franchises in all of sports. Easily in the states and Jerry Jones larger than life persona is one of the reasons for their popularity(for better or worst).

Everybody knows Mark Cuban but Dallas Mavericks are nowhere near the same level of popularity and doesn't come close to Rockets popularity. No NBA fan is going to a game to see Mark Cuban. The NBA is the most player driven league in all of sports. Mavericks haven’t been a real good team in a long time and they don’t have the legacy that the Rockets have. Rockets have James Harden and now Westbrook. Those are some of the most popular players in the league. More ppl know Harden than Cuban I promise you. During NBA season look on all the sports networks and see how often they talk about the Mavericks.

At the end of the day, a sports team is as popular as their wins. Cowboys/Lakers/Yankees/Red Sox/Celtics/Green Bay are like the few sports franchises that could suck and still be popular.

Aside from the Cowboys, Dallas isn’t that rich of a sports town.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:20 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Agreed on the sports stuff. At this point, Houston has more mainstream sports stars than DFW for sure. Only sport where this is not the case is football, but I bet JJ Watt is still a bigger name than any current Cowboy. Add in basketball and baseball, and it's no question who has the more popular names. There are kid baseball fans out there in Texas that can name the entire Astros lineup of the top of their head. Can't say the same for the Rangers, or the Mavs in basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Uh ohh...You know Houstonians are gonna rip you a new one trying point out how much better Houston food scene is over Dallas

I personally believe we've been closing that gap for the last 10 years....but die hard houstonians will never accept that fact.
Gap has certainly been closed due to the increase in diversity in the Metroplex, but there are countless lists that have "top restaurant cities". Last year, Bon Appetit awarded it to Portland, Maine. There are quite a few cities I would have given it to over Portland, ME but we have to let other cities not in the spotlight for the restaurants shine at least sometimes. This year was Dallas' time.

I also still say Houston has better local chains.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:21 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I’m not even arguing against Cowboys popularity. Everybody knows their one of the most popular sports franchises in all of sports. Easily in the states and Jerry Jones larger than life persona is one of the reasons for their popularity(for better or worst).

Everybody knows Mark Cuban but Dallas Mavericks are nowhere near the same level of popularity and doesn't come close to Rockets popularity. No NBA fan is going to a game to see Mark Cuban. The NBA is the most player driven league in all of sports. Mavericks haven’t been a real good team in a long time and they don’t have the legacy that the Rockets have. Rockets have James Harden and now Westbrook. Those are some of the most popular players in the league. More ppl know Harden than Cuban I promise you. During NBA season look on all the sports networks and see how often they talk about the Mavericks.

At the end of the day, a sports team is as popular as their wins. Cowboys/Lakers/Yankees/Red Sox/Celtics/Green Bay are like the few sports franchises that could suck and still be popular.

Aside from the Cowboys, Dallas isn’t that rich of a sports town.
Ummm...and Houston is? Well, I guess that popularity is only in Houston. I’ve yet to meet a Houston Rockets fan in Dallas, who’s not from Houston. Let’s be real, the Mavs and the Rockets are only popular in their respective markets. No team in Texas is popular like the Cowboys. Houston doesn’t have one team that carries that amount of fans beyond state lines. Again, we have teams in every major league. If that’s not a sports town, then what is?

Old 09-13-2019, 12:31 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Ummm...and Houston is? Well, I guess that popularity is only in Houston. I’ve yet to meet a Houston Rockets fan in Dallas, who’s not from Houston. Let’s be real, the Mavs and the Rockets are only popular in their respective markets. No team in Texas is popular like the Cowboys. Houston doesn’t have one team that carries that amount of fans beyond state lines. Again, we have teams in every major league. If that’s not a sports town, then what is?
This is true the Rockets and Mavs are more popular in their home markets, as is the case with literally every NBA team. But the Rockets do have James Harden who is a more recognizable star than any Maverick. Now there's Russell Westbrook. He (WB) literally has his own legion of fans that will become Rockets fans just because he's on the team. You can't say the same for the Mavs. Worldwide (and in part thanks to Yao), the Rockets are surely more popular to this day.

It's a similar thing in baseball with fans of certain countries following their favorite player from their home country. So many Astros fans from Venezuela (Altuve), Puerto Rico (Correa), and Cuba (Yuli).

DFW has the Cowboys, who reign supreme in all of sports. But in other sports that are more accessible to the general population, like baseball and basketball, Houston wins pretty solidly here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas