Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 10:01 PM

638 posts, read 571,968 times

Advertisements

We in Big Spring were previous Dallas people so we had experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 10:03 PM

638 posts, read 571,968 times
Experience is everything

Old 10-02-2020, 11:22 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,638,549 times
I've been doing Google Maps street view tours of Texas border towns (El Paso, Laredo, Brownsville) and they look extremely American to me. Classic sunbelt suburbia. I mean, how could you say that a massively wide highway with a Wendy's, Burger King, Subway, Sunoco, HEB, etc. looks like Mexico? The only similarity I can think of is that some of the auto shops look like ones you see in Mexico.

I also looked at the cities across the border and they were nothing alike. Obviously poorer, the signage is all in Spanish, denser with tighter streets, different architecture, more graffiti, etc.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:16 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,043,579 times
El Paso is the most Americanized, followed by McAllen/Mission area, then it's either Del Rio (pretty small city) or Brownsville. When it comes to border towns in Texas.

While yes, even Laredo has parts of town that resemble American suburbs, everybody still addresses each other in Spanish, and most of the city resembles Mexico more than it resembles other American cities. The only way you know you're in America is all the signs are in English. The same is true of all of these places pretty much, although out of the main ones, Laredo seems the most like Mexico.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
El Paso is the most Americanized, followed by McAllen/Mission area, then it's either Del Rio (pretty small city) or Brownsville. When it comes to border towns in Texas.

While yes, even Laredo has parts of town that resemble American suburbs, everybody still addresses each other in Spanish, and most of the city resembles Mexico more than it resembles other American cities. The only way you know you're in America is all the signs are in English. The same is true of all of these places pretty much, although out of the main ones, Laredo seems the most like Mexico.
All of Laredo that I've seen looks like American suburbia. It's like night and day compared to Nuevo Laredo, at least appearance wise.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:27 PM

I'm looking at Nuevo Laredo on a map right now and it doesn't seem all that different from Mexican neighbourhoods in south Texas. Maybe slightly more run down, but it looks a lot like the west and south sides of San Antonio (my hometown) other than all the signs being in Spanish (here they are more of a mix, with more English than Spanish, and all of the road signs are in English.)

I was expecting a lot worse, tbh.

Old 10-02-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I'm looking at Nuevo Laredo on a map right now and it doesn't seem all that different from Mexican neighbourhoods in south Texas. Maybe slightly more run down, but it looks a lot like the west and south sides of San Antonio (my hometown) other than all the signs being in Spanish (here they are more of a mix, with more English than Spanish, and all of the road signs are in English.)

I was expecting a lot worse, tbh.
Lol, only "slightly" more run down? The residential streets have lots of gang graffiti.

And as far as architecture ; Laredo is a mix of various sunbelt suburban styles (seems like mostly little ranch houses), while Nuevo Laredo is clearly much more compact and dense with all the cars parked on the street.

But someone earlier brought up that Laredo is in fact an old American city ; great point, hence the Mexican side being called NUEVO Laredo.

Old 10-02-2020, 02:52 PM

You can find gang graffiti all over San Antonio, even in areas that aren't that bad.

South Texas (including Laredo) in general used to be pretty much half white and half mexican (it's now vast majority mexican) and the mexicans were pretty much completely Americanized so it makes sense the architecture isn't too different from other parts of Texas. The same is true for all of these border towns. The whites seem to have mostly left south Texas though, not sure where most of them went.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n6YnS48CJM

Recent video of a high school graduation in Laredo, TX

I didn't watch the whole video but I stopped at several points and they were speaking English the whole time. That really goes against the narrative that Spanish is the "dominant" language of Laredo.

The only difference from a high school in say, rural Ohio is that they pronounce the Spanish last names the way a Spanish speaker would.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:28 PM

6,524 posts, read 7,602,183 times
Homes

Laredo = Wood structure houses with perched roofs and a front yards...if its in the hood a chain-link fence around the front yard and if not, no fence around the front but a wooden back yard fence.

Nuevo Laredo = Block houses with flat roofs and no front yard per se, but a front garden or front patio that is enclosed with an iron fence and gate. Wealthy Mexicans love the dome or even a roof top patio (which I wish we had more of here in the US)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas