Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:38 PM

108 posts, read 393,007 times

Advertisements

If you had to choose between living in Amarillo, Texas or Wichita Falls , Texas which would you choose and why ?

Which would be the better city for a single person ?

Which would be the better city for a family ?

Which would be the better city to retire in ?

I am basically just looking for other people opinions here.

My situation really does not matter that much.

What I am doing here is just trying to get other peoples opinions because I value other people opinions whether I agree or disagree with their opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,900 times
Can't claim to know much about Wichita Falls, other than it is a fine place to stop on my way from Amarillo to Denton to visit family. Seems like a nice place, but I have no experience other than the occasional stop.

Amarillo on the other hand, I live in the immediate area. Amarillo has a decent mall, fun hockey games, a few concerts, some tattoo parlors, quite a few bars, close to Palo Duro Canyon, Canyon has a great museum at WT. The traffic on I-40 is nuts, especially at I-27, but years of living in Lubbock and the years of steady visits to DFW have shown me it is not much nuttier than those places.

Economy is not stinking too bad around here right now, lots of housing selling, some real nice areas to live in, and some cheap areas (not too safe) as well. Decent hospitals, lots of places to eat, just all around a decent place IMO.

WF might be a nice place to live too, just don't know. Amarillo is working well for me right now though, so have to vote for it!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 PM

74 posts, read 237,785 times
Wichita Falls would be better, not too big or small, easier to get around, lower cost of living than Amarillo, less crime, the air doesn't smell like cow patties like Amarillo. Wichita Falls is much closer to the DFW area only 2 hours away. Amarillo is really out by itself.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:32 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,900 times
Agreed, DFW is much closer to WF, and is real easy to get around in.

Amarillo does not always smell like cow patties though. SW part of town I have noticed happens sometimes, but overall not very smelly.

If the OP desires convenient access to large city amenities, then WF would be by far the logical choice. If being a little more remote is preferrable, Amarillo would be a good choice.

For myself, I care little for the DFW thing, although I frequently visit family there. From Wichita Falls to Fort Worth, it seems like there is just more and more people. From Wichita Falls to Amarillo it gets more and more open with fewer people. I find that more comfortable, but obviously I am in the minority. Most folks like living in big cities. Frankly I kind of like being able to drive a ways without seeing much in the way of people, so Amarillo would be the choice for me.

But I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Wichita Falls. My limited experience has been all positive there.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:43 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,081,697 times
You gotta chose between the two? lol

Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 PM

135 posts, read 310,567 times
Go with Amarillo...you'll like it.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:55 PM

either way your not in a good situation.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,988,903 times
I've lived in Wichita Falls for over 45 years so for me at least, It's perfect. I like being only two hours from OKC or DFW if I can't find what I need here. Plus my truck driving job goes from Amarillo to Paris TX and back so living here I get home every night just like a nine to fiver. Traffic here is light, and homes are cheaper, but Apt. rent is not always cheaper then DFW believe it or not. Of course I have not rented since '98.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM

Housing and Apartments are expensive in Wichita Falls compared to the DFW area because there usually isn't as much available in Wichita Falls being a smaller city. Also I think many houses in Wichita Falls were more expensive to build because of the tornadoes so they build them more durable for strong winds and violent storms. The closer to Oklahoma you are the greater your chance is of being in a tornado.

Wichita Falls like Amarillo can be tough places to live, that is why many people choose to live elsewhere. Anyway why your narrowing it down to these 2 cities surprises me, but both cities do a good job selling themselves online, but once you get there it's not quite what you expected, that's why City Data Forums are such a good resource.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 PM

5 posts, read 11,402 times
It's obvious which is the better city. Wichita Falls' pop is barely 100,000 while Amarillo's is around 200,000. Amarillo's unemployment rate is lower and the city's growth rate is almost twice that of WF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas