Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2022, 02:41 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,024,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Summary of the video:
- Dallas downtown resident population almost 15,000 (2022)
- 67% of downtown residents have been there less than 2 years
- Big push to pass bond for new convention center
- Mayor Johnson sees Dallas as a great American city soon to be a great world city (although he wasn't clear exactly what would make it a great world city)
- Dallas continues to be the cultural center for the region (although some of the suburb cities are entertaining building their own performing arts centers, for example)
I get really confused as to what counts as “downtown Dallas.”

Dallaz wrote this in the streetscape thread:
Quote:
I’m talking about this lol https://dallasnews.imgix.net/2012-Uptown.jpeg

Edit: according to Wikipedia, Midtown Houston is 1.24 sq mi and Uptown Dallas is 0.925 sq mi, but adjacent neighborhoods makes it feel even larger. Turtle Creek, Victory Park, Harwood, etc are all adjacent to each other and relatively urban. Even with the smaller area, Uptown has a bigger population in comparison to Midtown (it’s Wikipedia’s numbers, so Idk how accurate).

Midtown Houston - 1.24 sq mi = 793.6 acres
Uptown Dallas - 0.92 sq mi = 591.8 acres

Midtown is 201.8 acres larger

Midtown Houston population - 9,500+ residents
Uptown Dallas population - 17,000+ residents
But in the “State of Downtown” video they showed a slide with this for the almost 15,000 people living downtown:

Top 5 lived in neighborhoods:

- Main Street District 38%
- Dallas Farmers Market 12%
- Uptown 9%
- Old East Dallas 7%
- Dallas Arts District 5%

So help me understand how Uptown Dallas has 17,000+ residents when all of downtown Dallas has less than 15,000. Is there a logical explanation for us “non-locals?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 03:40 PM

679 posts, read 274,317 times
Tallest buildings under construction in Texas's big downtowns (I lack info for Fort Worth, San Antonio and El Paso. If anyone can provide, please do. I will endeavor to maintain this as projects are completed and begin construction:

1. Waterline - 98 Red River (Austin) 1,022 ft.
2. Sixth and Guadalupe (Austin) 875 ft
3. The Republic (Austin) 710 ft.
4. 321 West (Austin) 675 ft.
5. The Modern (Austin) 658 ft
6. 415 Colorado (Austin) 640 ft
7. The Travis (Austin) 594 ft
8. Hanover Brazos (Austin) 513 ft
9. 700 River (Austin) 500 ft
10. Parkside Residences (Houston) 468 ft
11. Vesper (Austin) 452 ft
12. 1550 on the Green (Houston) 410 ft
13. Symphony Square 372 ft
14. Hyatt Centric (Austin) 346 ft
15.The Liinden (Austin) 333 ft
16. JW Marriott (Dallas) maybe 300 ft?
17. Jackson @ Market Parking Garage (Dallas) 125 ft?

Wow. Crazy that 9 of the 10 tallest buildings currently under construction are in Austin (and 13 out of 15).

With the Meta announcement and general tech selloff, is there slowdown in site?

Last edited by oil capital; 11-03-2022 at 04:17 PM..

Old 11-03-2022, 04:17 PM

679 posts, read 274,317 times
Because some of our participants can't decide if they want to look at "downtown" or the "core", here are teh tallest buildings under construction in Texas's big 6 cores (I lack info for Fort Worth, San Antonio and El Paso. For this post, I'm leaving out the low- to mid-rise developments. If anyone can provide, please do. I will endeavor to maintain this as projects are completed and begin construction:

1. Waterline - 98 Red River (Austin) 1,022 ft.
2. Sixth and Guadalupe (Austin) 875 ft
3. The Republic (Austin) 710 ft.
4. 321 West (Austin) 675 ft.
5. The Modern (Austin) 658 ft
6. 415 Colorado (Austin) 640 ft
7. The Travis (Austin) 594 ft
8. Hanover Brazos (Austin) 513 ft
9. 700 River (Austin) 500 ft
10. Houston Methodist Centennial Tower (TMC Houston) 474 ft.
11. Parkside Residences (Houston) 468 ft
12. Vesper (Austin) 452 ft
13. The Allen (Houston) 450 ft ?
14. 1550 on the Green (Houston) 410 ft
15. 23Springs (Uptown Dallas) 399 ft
16. Harwood No. 14 (Uptown Dallas) 388 ft
17. Symphony Square (Austin) 372 ft
18. Houston (Museum District Houston) 370 ft
19. Hyatt Centric (Austin) 346 ft
20.The Liinden (Austin) 333 ft
21. JW Marriott (Dallas) maybe 300 ft?
21. Maple Terrace (Uptown Dallas) maybe 250 ft?
22. Swexan Hotel (Uptown Dallas) maybe 225 ft?
23. The Oliver (near Knox-Henderson Dallas) maybe 225 ft?
24. Modera Waugh (Montrose Houston) 205 ft ?

9 of the 10 tallest buildings currently under construction in city cores are in Austin (and 13 out of the top 20).

Old 11-03-2022, 04:52 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
San Antonio

U/C
300 Main - 400 feet
A/C Hotel - 230 feet
The Flood Gate - 212 feet
Mira - 130 feet

While the skyline is not nearly impressive it is still the best downtown in Texas. We visit Houston and Dallas more frequently than Austin despite the proximity because we have no need.

As a building lover Houston is the best city in Texas hands down regardless of this urbanity pissing contest.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:00 PM

869 posts, read 319,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Second funniest post in this thread. Dallas' need for validation goes way beyond this conversation or these forums, but I think the forums reflect what I (and many others) have noticed in real life, as does the DMN's overly promotional journalistic style. And that is that Dallas, and many people from it, are VERY focused on making sure that others know about what is going on in Dallas, regardless of if we care or not. That's the entire reason that this thread exists and many others like it that end up in the statewide forum. Notice who created it.

No one from Houston or Austin would create a thread like this because frankly, Houston and Austin don't need to market themselves to the same extent. Houston is the energy capital of the entire world and arguably the medical capital as well. Austin is the state capital, as well as the live music capital and the tech capital of the entire south. Dallas has to market itself and always has had to do so because it doesn't really have a natural identity or reason to exist. It's kind of a modern jack-of-many-trades. But it's no single thing that one particularly thinks of when he or she thinks of Dallas, other than maybe the Cowboys. That lack of identity presents itself in some of the strange threads you see here. For example, you will never see a thread in the Houston or Austin (or really any other) forum where one person posts nine straight times (essentially talking to himself) trying to promote either city's music scene. Both because there's no need to, and culturally neither city is big on self-promotion, which filters down to the actual residents. I mean, just look at your usernames lol.

It has nothing to do with Houston or Austin people not caring as much about their cities - it's just that many people find the unique brand of Dallas puffery (that some insist doesn't exist) rather weird - both online and in real life. No other large city promotes itself in quite the same way as Dallas does. Some people love it. For me, having lived in all three cities (Houston/Dallas/Austin) it's a turnoff so I tend to call it out for what it is - puffery. I'm not a hyperbole guy.

Different strokes!

Don't forget "Dallas" the tv show.

Gottta give em THAT!

Old 11-03-2022, 05:07 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I get really confused as to what counts as “downtown Dallas.”

Dallaz wrote this in the streetscape thread:

But in the “State of Downtown” video they showed a slide with this for the almost 15,000 people living downtown:

Top 5 lived in neighborhoods:

- Main Street District 38%
- Dallas Farmers Market 12%
- Uptown 9%
- Old East Dallas 7%
- Dallas Arts District 5%

So help me understand how Uptown Dallas has 17,000+ residents when all of downtown Dallas has less than 15,000. Is there a logical explanation for us “non-locals?”
Within the Downtown loop there’s almost 15,000.

Within the official boundaries of Uptown there’s slightly over 17,000k as of 2019. I’ve heard that Uptown’s population is 20,000 now but I cannot confirm that with official stats.

Here’s the source from 2019. DDI = Downtown Dallas, Inc.
UDI = Uptown Dallas, Inc

BTW the uptown population doesn’t include the Harwood District or the area where Goldman Sachs will be built, because it isn’t officially apart of Uptown.

http://uptowndallas.net/assets/Uptow...Study-2019.pdf

Last edited by Dallaz; 11-03-2022 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Correcting spelling

Old 11-03-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
San Antonio

U/C
300 Main - 400 feet
A/C Hotel - 230 feet
Mira - 130 feet

While the skyline is not nearly impressive it is still the best downtown in Texas. We visit Houston and Dallas more frequently than Austin despite the proximity because we have no need.

As a building lover Houston is the best city in Texas hands down regardless of this urbanity pissing contest.

Very much agreed.

And that's the problem I have with the Dallasites on this forum...they can't seem to EVER acknowledge that they just don't come out ahead of everything, specifically when it comes to Houston. Most people would agree that Houston's buildings and towers generally outdo DFW's...but instead of acknowledging that, they'll come back with something like "Please!! There are no walkable areas around all those buildings though!!"

Sad

Old 11-03-2022, 05:28 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
San Antonio

U/C
300 Main - 400 feet
A/C Hotel - 230 feet
Mira - 130 feet

I agree. But this thread isn’t solely about skyscrapers. If it was, it would clearly go to Houston.

Old 11-04-2022, 12:24 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
....This is not a smackdown thread.......Everyone(that's not from Dallas ) is typing with their feelings......Excluding the recent new positive contributers...who know what this thread is about.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
....This is not a smackdown thread.......Everyone(that's not from Dallas ) is typing with their feelings......Excluding the recent new positive contributers...who know what this thread is about.

Boi, it's convenient for you to say that, lol. It only gets emotional after you and your ilk throw out some random shot against Houston...and you expect no one to defend it. I guarantee that if you took the time out to go through the entire thread, you'd find that it was YOU or another Dallasite that initiated it.

I GUARANTEE IT (in the words of the great Mattress Mack), lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas