Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who’s the better brand?
Yeti 2 16.67%
RTIC 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 10:12 PM

9,931 posts, read 6,638,998 times

Advertisements

Texas is to coolers what Switzerland is to analogue watches. Texas just makes them better. Not only is RTIC and Yeti from Texas but so is Igloo, the most generic of them all. 3 of the big 4 from Texas, the last one being Coleman.

But the more time passes, the more RTIC and Yeti are becoming rival companies.

Yeti’s general argument: RTIC is a knockoff brand, they directly copied Yeti’s design and lowered the price to make a cheaper version. Get the original

RTIC’s general argument: Yeti fans are paying for the brand. Those coolers aren’t worth near what they’re priced at. Why pay for Yeti when you can get something that’s as good for so much cheaper?

My opinion: Brands and designs always get copied, but this is good for competition. Not only is Yeti now having to adjust their prices, they also have to compete to get better, as not only is RTIC just as good, they’re arguably better. Competition is better for the consumers both for their wallet and experience. I side RTIC. Plus I’m from Houston so I’m biased a bit.

For those wondering, Yeti is headquartered in Austin, where it’s flagship store is. RTIC is headquartered in Cypress where it’s flagship store is. And Igloo is headquartered in Katy. Yeti also has a storefront in Dallas while not having one in Houston. Of course that’s because Houston has its RTIC store there as mentioned. And both have storefronts throughout the USA. RTIC also handles most of their logistics themselves, with 5 fulfillment centers across the country while Yeti mainly uses outside companies to handle their logistics. Yeti came first, RTIC started expanding into more products. Besides that, companies are extremely similar even the logo looks nearly identical. RTIC has the nice logo though due to the polar bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 12:14 PM

19,870 posts, read 18,144,412 times
RTIC was hammered in court for blatantly ripping off Yeti by copying a number of products. So you know right off the bat RTIC practices poor ethics.

I have a Yeti soft bag cooler that will keep beer, water etc. cold all day on the boat. I have two roto-molded Yeti coolers that will keep the same cold all weekend. They are quite amazing.

ETA - I looked it up via settlement RTIC redesigned a number of copied products.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
RTIC was hammered in court for blatantly ripping off Yeti by copying a number of products. So you know right off the bat RTIC practices poor ethics.

I have a Yeti soft bag cooler that will keep beer, water etc. cold all day on the boat. I have two roto-molded Yeti coolers that will keep the same cold all weekend. They are quite amazing.

ETA - I looked it up via settlement RTIC redesigned a number of copied products.
RTIC was merely slapped on the wrist via court. They’ve since went nationwide and opened full fill end centers everywhere. Safe to say it was a mere slap on the wrist. While I thin they did design it a little too similar, this allows competition as you see with anything of any industry.

I don’t think a company that charges so much for a product practices good ethics either. No monopoly practices good ethics.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:23 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,401,851 times
I have both. I cannot tell any difference in performance.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:09 PM

19,870 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
RTIC was merely slapped on the wrist via court. They’ve since went nationwide and opened full fill end centers everywhere. Safe to say it was a mere slap on the wrist. While I thin they did design it a little too similar, this allows competition as you see with anything of any industry.

I don’t think a company that charges so much for a product practices good ethics either. No monopoly practices good ethics.
Please don't misuse well defined economic terms. There is zero evidence Yeti ever had or tried to employ anything like monopolistic pricing power. They didn't restrict output. The spent huge money on R&D. They did not buy and close competitors etc. In other words Yeti did not behave like a monopoly.

Agreeing to a cash payment, wholesale product redesign and eating existing inventory is not a slap on the wrist.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Please don't misuse well defined economic terms. There is zero evidence Yeti ever had or tried to employ anything like monopolistic pricing power. They didn't restrict output. The spent huge money on R&D. They did not buy and close competitors etc. In other words Yeti did not behave like a monopoly.

Agreeing to a cash payment, wholesale product redesign and eating existing inventory is not a slap on the wrist.
You can barely even notice the differences in the redesign. If you put a 2015 RTIC next to a 2020 RTIC, I would barely be able to tell them apart if I didn't know. Instead of having a downward curve on the chest, it's now upward. the differences are very minor.

The cash payment was undisclosed, but literally 2 years after the settlement, RTIC multiplied in size as a company AND even expanded their product line. I'm not seeing how RTIC got any more than a slap on the wrist.

YETI was a monopoly at its time whether intentional or not, and RTIC gave them fair competition who not only lowers prices for consumers, but also improves product. YETI had to invest in leaking prevention since RTIC added this to it.

I'm not a fan boy of either, but I'm neither seeing how RTIC was "hammered" given they multiplied as a company since the lawsuit, and virtually kept the same design. Nor do I see bad ethics for increasing competition which is proven better for consumers including here. I'll have to disagree here.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:33 AM

68 posts, read 44,857 times
I prefer Pelican over either of these. Better latches, to name just one.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:32 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
Yeti was never a monopoly - as mentioned, igloo and coleman sell coolers. So it was it made them a 'monopoly' when they made a better cooler?

That said, I do fine with a Coleman - it keeps my drinks iced all day at the lake and that is what I need.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:58 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,849,322 times
I owned a Yeti - gave it away. Have an RTIC. Honestly, I fail to see the hype in either - you can buy a LOT of ice for the premiums they charge.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:11 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,405,462 times
Yeti but i prefer Coleman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas