Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 01:25 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
At least we are trying to make an effort but what is Houston doing? I know Dallas is far from being like New York or Chicago but at least we are building rail lines so that citizens of Dallas will have more than one way to commute to work.
Please don't quote me if your only intention is to start some petty pissing match between Dallas and Houston, because I'm not getting involved in that. I made my points about both cities, so let's leave it there.

And "we"? I wasn't aware that you were lending your personal resources to cultivate DART's rail system. How much planning or research have "you" personally invested in this project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Do you know there's a 14 mile line under construction right now. When completed DART will have 86 miles of track.
86 miles of track that will have a lower overall ridership than Houston'2 26 miles don't forget that part

you can have rail to Tuscaloosa if you would like, but how wonderful is it if the ridership is low???

here is a pros and cons for you

Dallas
Pro: has a long one
Cons: no one rides it

Houston
Pro: residents make good use of rail/ high ridership
Cons: It has to listen to Dallas brag about their long one all the time

Old 11-25-2011, 01:28 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Oh God, were not going to argue about which rail system is better again are we?

People here use cars and dont really walk or use public transit as much. It was the same back in LA. Thats why traffic is horrific in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and LA despite hundreds of miles of freeways. It doesnt make our cities any less, but lets be honest. We live in an overwhelmingly car centric area.

Personally, I like it better that way. Id rather sit in my car to commute for half an hour where I can control how warm/cool the air is, where I can control the music, etc. than half to share a bus or rail car. I lived in Chicago for 2 years. I did the commute by heavy rail bit. I found it overrated. The commute times are the same but the privicy of a car is better in my opinion.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:29 PM

6,696 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Please don't quote me if your only intention is to start some petty pissing match between Dallas and Houston, because I'm not getting involved in that. I made my points about both cities, so let's leave it there.

And "we"? I wasn't aware that you were lending your personal resources to cultivate DART's rail system. How much planning or research have "you" personally invested in this project?
You really think I'm trying to start something? You gave your opinion and I gave mine, let's leave it at that.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
86 miles of track that will have a lower overall ridership than Houston'2 26 miles don't forget that part

you can have rail to Tuscaloosa if you would like, but how wonderful is it if the ridership is low???

Dallas

Houston
Pro: residents make good use of rail/ high ridership
Cons: It has to listen to Dallas brag about their long one all the time
I cannot speak for every station but the stations by my house are busy in the mornings. Some of the students at my school use DART everyday.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Oh God, were not going to argue about which rail system is better again are we?

People here use cars and dont really walk or use public transit as much. It was the same back in LA. Thats why traffic is horrific in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and LA despite hundreds of miles of freeways. It doesnt make our cities any less, but lets be honest. We live in an overwhelmingly car centric area.

Personally, I like it better that way. Id rather sit in my car to commute for half an hour where I can control how warm/cool the air is, where I can control the music, etc. than half to share a bus or rail car. I lived in Chicago for 2 years. I did the commute by heavy rail bit. I found it overrated. The commute times are the same but the privicy of a car is better in my opinion.
Nahhh, I don't think its gonna get that far. I think arguing is pointless.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:52 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
You really think I'm trying to start something? You gave your opinion and I gave mine, let's leave it at that.
Evidently, you DID start something, because here y'all are, debating rail in both cities.

I'm the one who simply stated an opinion, but you took it as an opportunity to pit the cities against each other.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:58 PM

Dallas

Here's just a few

Pros: Nice urban developments near the CBD and Uptown, the new park over Woodall Rodgers Fwy., Downtown Dallas is getting better but it has a long way to go, crime has went down, Older buildings in Downtown being redevloped (Elm Place), and the Reconstrcution of LBJ Freeway.

Cons: There's some neglected areas that needs to be addressed, too many suburban style shopping centers, horrible traffic, not a lot of retail options in Southern Dallas, and nelgelcted freeways in Southern Dallas.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Dallas

Damn you!

Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Damn you!
well what's the use in having a long one if no one likes riding it??

I would say the shorter one is better if more butts ride up and down it everyday. Size isn't every thing; it is how it is used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas