Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 05:00 AM

39 posts, read 40,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Honestly there are no real nice lakes anywhere near here.
What about Lake Tanglewood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 09:08 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,491,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieSam28 View Post
What about Lake Tanglewood?
I had to google it. I’m a native Texan and never heard of it. It looks nice but it’s tiny. I really think you should visit Amarillo. I’ve driven through it and don’t know a lot about the city but in general the far flung midsize cities in Texas aren’t really the best. I still think Oklahoma has better options especially for retirees.

Plus, like a lot of cities in Texas Amarillo has an aging white population and a large and growing younger Hispanic population so the odds of it staying conservative are low.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:15 AM

2,866 posts, read 2,183,306 times
If you're cool with the smell of manure and being isolated from other cities then Amarillo might be right for you, otherwise no. Coming from South Carolina you don't really know what being in the middle of nowhere means.

Not sure how you expect 'vote conservative' to translate into QOL, but in Tulsa there are ghettos and homelessness near downtown so don't expect to run away from these issues just because a city leans one way politically.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:53 AM

15,540 posts, read 10,527,165 times
I've spent a lot of time in Amarillo and have never smelled manure there. Now, Hereford reeks of it. I suppose, on occasion, the wind could blow it over to Amarillo, but again I've never caught a whiff of it.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:55 AM

5,634 posts, read 4,958,758 times
I do remember the distinct smell of feedlots when I was in downtown Amarillo. Yes, downtown. Hopefully that happens only rarely.

Regarding terrain, I was surprised at how much non-flat terrain there is pretty close to Amarillo, in multiple directions.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:27 AM

15,540 posts, read 10,527,165 times
It really drops off out towards Bishop Hills on the Tascosa Highway, love driving that road.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:38 AM

17,825 posts, read 13,738,015 times
Canyon is a wonderful little town. Palo Duro Canyon is a nice diversion from the flat lands surrounding it.

The two things that haven't been mentioned is that outside of the built environment and the bottom of the canyons there are literally no trees out there. If you live out there you need to enjoy sky because that is what you have.

The other thing is that the Texas panhandle has vicious winds. In the summer it feels like you have a hot blow dryer hitting you and winter wind chills can be 20 degrees lower than the actual temperature.

However, I can't say enough good things about Canyon, Tx despite the area that it is in.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:42 AM

751 posts, read 1,484,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I had to google it. I’m a native Texan and never heard of it. It looks nice but it’s tiny. I really think you should visit Amarillo. I’ve driven through it and don’t know a lot about the city but in general the far flung midsize cities in Texas aren’t really the best. I still think Oklahoma has better options especially for retirees.

Plus, like a lot of cities in Texas Amarillo has an aging white population and a large and growing younger Hispanic population so the odds of it staying conservative are low.

I answered the Lake Tanglewood question to the OP in a DM.
Basically it is a little lake with a residential development around it, it is not a destination lake. Real nice area though.

Amarillo has a high number of hispanics, always has had. Funny thing is, most of the liberal folks I know are white, most of hispanics I know are conservative.

The remote-ness of the city is something that many folks from out of state are absolutely unprepared for. I regularly make the 5 hr drive to DFW, or the other direction to Albq, to visit family and think nothing of it. Many of my work friends are from the deep South (South Louisiana and Mississippi) and think that "casual" drive is insane. I am quite sure plenty of other folks in this country would think the same, but it is completely normal for many of us out here.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:54 PM

268 posts, read 180,940 times
Mildish winter?

If you are used to a SC coastal winter...winter in the Texas Panhandle is going to be a shocker. LOL

Old 06-14-2021, 05:45 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,017,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I've spent a lot of time in Amarillo and have never smelled manure there.
Perhaps you are more used to the smell than others? I definitely have smelled it every time I've gone to Amarillo, which I will admit is only a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas