Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:16 PM

112 posts, read 166,297 times

Advertisements

Who saw Ol Yeller? Who cried when Ol Yeller got shot at the end?

Okay so it's 60 years old and a wee bit sentimental. It got a lot of things right that other movies set in Texas get wrong.

Despite being filmed in Cali it looked like Texas, with its hills and trees. A nice touch especially considering most Texas movies at the time (like The Searchers, filmed the year before) were filmed in places like Monument Valley.

The accents aren't overdone.

One of the kids is named Travis.

There's a horny toad scene.

Lone Wolf McQuade is another one I like a lot. It's a little more formulaic but that can be excused because it was set in modern (at the time) times and released in 1983 when Westerns were arguably at their nadir.

The worst may be The Comancheros. John Wayne and Stuart Whitman supposedly travel from New Orleans to Sweetwater but spend the night in Castle Valley, Utah. Thank you, Hollywood.

What are your thoughts? Any representations of Texas or Texans in movies just thrill you or gall you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 02:38 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,997,817 times
I like Friday Night Lights.I hate the old westerns who have the land way off.Theres lots of great movies I like about Texas but MOJO is the one i like the best

Old 06-25-2015, 02:55 PM

5,275 posts, read 6,447,279 times
best: Office Space. - the suburbs, the chain restaurants. Going to an empty field to beat the copier. Texas to the bone.
Killer Joe does a great job of capturing the sorry side of Dallas.
Dazed and Confused
Slackers
Varsity Blues to me is better than Friday Night Lights at capturing the realities of small town high school football.

Like his work or not, Matthew McConaughey gets lots of Texas locations and references into his movies.

Worst: No Country for Old Men. A ponderous, generic, pompous horror movie. So overrated it's not even funny.

Never seen too many of the classics or westerns so I can't judge.

Most of the movies about the Alamo tend to be cheesy and one dimensional. Not sure I'd recommend a single one.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:07 PM

112 posts, read 166,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
best: Office Space. - the suburbs, the chain restaurants. Going to an empty field to beat the copier. Texas to the bone.
Good one. I recently saw a 2004 movie filmed in Addison on Netflix. It was called Primer. It kind of reminded me of Office Space. Only without any laughs.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:23 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,054,194 times
Richard Linklater and Mike Judge capture Texas best with Dazed, and Office Space. High school and then off to work in some suburb outside of town, chain stores galore, lol.

Boyhood, great for contemporary life. Reality Bites captures that post-grunge, proto hipster life that I saw come alive late 90s-early 2000s. Ethan Hawke reminded me it every guy in Austin circa 2003.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:36 PM

4,455 posts, read 5,377,072 times
Bernie

Old 06-25-2015, 05:40 PM

Again Richard Linklater! Brilliant director.

Mike Judge captured Texas to a tee with King of the Hill. I know its a tv show but those writers had to be from Texas. There's no way they could've captured all the nuances of life in Texas without being natives.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:52 PM

I can't believe I forgot! Lone Star by John Sayles!!

Best Texas film hands down

Old 06-25-2015, 06:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,198,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I can't believe I forgot! Lone Star by John Sayles!!

Best Texas film hands down
NO WAY! That honor belongs to the movie GIANT with my all-time favorite actor James Dean! Not meaning to slight the other two leading stars, Rock Hudson and Liz Taylor.

Quote:
In 2005, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Old 06-25-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
NO WAY! That honor belongs to the movie GIANT with my all-time favorite actor James Dean! Not meaning to slight the other two leading stars, Rock Hudson and Liz Taylor.

Fair enough. Yes, that's a classic.

But it should go:

Giant
Blood Simple
Lone Star
The Last Picture Show
Dazed and Confused
Paris, TX
Friday Night Lights
Urban Cowboy
Rush - 1991
Rushmore
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas