Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 01:14 PM

624 posts, read 907,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I personally found that ride up to be a little harrowing. Very unique experience though...

WRT The Alamo, what has always struck me about it is how it's just smack dab in the middle of downtown. Kind of takes away from the mystique. I much prefer going to the other missions around town.
Yes very cramped and hot on that tram on the way up. I hear that about the Alamo too but there wasn't really a downtown in 1718.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 01:15 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,273,384 times
Maybe it is because I had the right expectation, but I actually thought the Alamo was neat. It was kinda over crowded. As one would expect. Yes it doesn't look the way it used to, I already knew that from elementary school expected that as well.

I will say that despite being cool, it was the least cool to visit of the the San Antonio Missions, all of which are well worth the time and less crowded.

The San Fernando Cathedral is also an essential stop. There are not very many buildings in the US from the 1730s and it is the oldest continuously functioning religious community in the state. I mean we have "historical" buildings, churches etc in the state that are hundreds of years younger than that cathedral.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Yep. It’s not the physical remnants, but what actually took place in that location.

One can say the same thing about many great battlefields around the world. Most tourists seem to be looking for postcard entertainment rather than delving into real history.
Agree, I did take that into consideration seeing Liberty Bell and Plymouth Rock.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
I heard complaints The Alamo was underwhelming, they expected a big building or fortress. One if my relatives from out state said that to me. I explained it was a mission first built in 1718, they had no idea.
I knew what it was going into it and wasn't at all underwhelmed.

Maybe visitors who don't know much about it NEED to be "underwhelmed." That's part of the ambience to me, the whole mission thing. A little outpost.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
From a tourist's perspective Plymouth Rock and the Liberty Bell were underwhelming too, but I did enjoy going up into the St Louis Arch.
I agree about the Liberty Bell (in fact, most of Philadelphia) and Plymouth Rock. Salem too for that matter - and also, Jamestown.

It's amazing to me that so much important history in our country happened in such small places.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Maybe it is because I had the right expectation, but I actually thought the Alamo was neat. It was kinda over crowded. As one would expect. Yes it doesn't look the way it used to, I already knew that from elementary school expected that as well.

I will say that despite being cool, it was the least cool to visit of the the San Antonio Missions, all of which are well worth the time and less crowded.

The San Fernando Cathedral is also an essential stop. There are not very many buildings in the US from the 1730s and it is the oldest continuously functioning religious community in the state. I mean we have "historical" buildings, churches etc in the state that are hundreds of years younger than that cathedral.
There is a laser light show on the weekends at San Fernando “This unique video art projection by international artist Xavier de Richemont depicts the historical discovery, settlement and development of San Antonio, our wonderful Lone Star State, and United States history. The Saga projection covers 7,000 square feet of light, color and visual narration projected onto the majestic façade of San Fernando Cathedral” I have never seen though.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree about the Liberty Bell (in fact, most of Philadelphia) and Plymouth Rock. Salem too for that matter - and also, Jamestown.

It's amazing to me that so much important history in our country happened in such small places.
I really liked Philadelphia's city hall, thought it was magnificent. I have not been to Jamestown but did see Salem.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I really liked Philadelphia's city hall, thought it was magnificent. I have not been to Jamestown but did see Salem.
Jamestown is small. The museum though is excellent. Well worth the visit to see Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:59 PM

1,742 posts, read 1,037,253 times
The Mona Lisa is underwhelming too...

Back to the list... I'm surprised how few visitors the Kimball gets in Fort Worth... I've heard nothing but rave reviews about that museum.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Jamestown is small. The museum though is excellent. Well worth the visit to see Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg.
I admit I've only driven through VA on my way to D.C. missed opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas