Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:00 PM
RGV RGV started this thread

570 posts, read 3,221,942 times

Advertisements

thx for all the comments.

Dwong the stadium is in Arlington, between Dallas and Fort Worth, but closer to Fort Worth.

So, I guess they'll be the Fort Worth Cowboys .... Just Kidding!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 03:39 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV View Post
thx for all the comments.

Dwong the stadium is in Arlington, between Dallas and Fort Worth, but closer to Fort Worth.

So, I guess they'll be the Fort Worth Cowboys .... Just Kidding!!!!
Why did they choose this location. And what bout the roof?

Old 05-22-2008, 04:58 PM
RGV RGV started this thread

570 posts, read 3,221,942 times
It all has to do with which city offers the better deal.

The roof is retractible. (sp?)

Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Yes, the roof on the NEW stadium IS retractable. The NEW stadium has ALREADY landed a deal to host a Super Bowl. Only problem is Arlington does not have public transportation - ouch. There are supposed to be some details being worked out in order to provide some type of public transportation though. You know most of the higher up officials w/ the NFL are most likely going to be staying IN Dallas though. As for the new stadium, right now from the ticket prices and those stupid "Personal Seat License" it might be a bust. Not to get into too much here and hijack another GREAT PHOTO THREAD BY RGV................ but the days of these huge super elaborate stadiums is going to come to an end very soon.

Okay, back to the ORIGINAL topic - ANOTHER GREAT PHOTO THREAD BY RGV!!!! It pains me to see so many of our beautiful small towns squares become ghost towns and fall into disrepair. The architecture is so different than todays modern buildings and even mid-centry modern. We are losing the battle I'm afraid on these gems of what once was such a BIG part of life in America for so many generations and almost the very way our country got its greatest lift to become what it is.

Now, the pics. LOVE'EM!!! That white house w/ the wreaths on the front doors that is in need of some MAJOR TLC has something one normally does not see, the pale blue ceiling on the porches. Go back and look and at first it looks like a blue strip is painted on the top of the second story right under the porch when it is actually part of the ceiling before the siding starts. Then you can see it on the bottom porch as well once you notice it. The reason being is that the blue paint would fool insects into NOT building a nest up there as it was "sky". If it works or not I don't know but this is a very old time tradition in the South.

I like that the old movie theaters on the town squares are revitalizing nowadays. I see that one is hosting an area dance recital. I've been in ours here in Garland for dance performances and they are quite fun. Love the old ticket booths. Too bad that soda fountain is not open for business. If it is indeed open they need to advertise like crazy and show it. Become a regular place for people to go eat and such for 3 meals a day and snacks and such.

As always, ANOTHER FINE JOB BY RGV!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default Glorypark, The Road To Glory, And Glorious Images

And one more thing, momof2. I just read the other day that Tom Hicks' Glorypark development, which was supposed to be built between Rangers Ballpark in Arlington and the new stadium for the Cowboys, is being put on hold indefinitely. Ouch! That's going to sting by the time we get ready for the 2011 Super Bowl, with probable plans for something more scaled-down than the first time. Stay tuned.

And you know, folks, the great pics RGV takes are almost like a modern-day Picasso painting many great works of our times. And we've managed to capture the simplest of another time. You're practically in a time machine or some other contraption about to whisk you away to another place and, occasionally, another time. You don't even need to get into a car when you've got the quintessential American portrait, done a thousand times over and exceedingly more ways, right before your very eyes!

Corsicana's square. Just another slice of American life in the great state of Texas.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:08 PM

151 posts, read 817,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I'm still wondering why a roof was never built for the Texas Ranger baseball field...playing day games in the Texas summer heat is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
I TOTALLY agree!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,392 times
What a nice trip down memory lane. I was born in Corsicana but I haven't been there for many years. I've been living the past 7 years in South American, but am thinking very seriously about moving back to Corsicana, if I can find a place there.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
Thanks RGV, great pics. Threads like this make me so happy I discovered CD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas