Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2022, 10:43 AM

15,647 posts, read 7,683,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I don't want it to "add water", I want it to deter crossings!!

Right now, and for a long time, you can see the video where people are walking across some sort of ridge, for lack of a better term, that's in water about 1 foot deep. That creates a "secure border"????
That's how the river has always been. It's likely some sort of limestone or sandstone that the river hasn't eroded. If it was softer, there would be a deeper channel there. It's not dredgable, and in any case, deeper water doesn't stop people crossing the river, since they cross on rafts or by swimming in areas where the water is too deep to walk. And, the Mexican side can't be touched, since it belongs to Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 11:04 AM

20,005 posts, read 18,299,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Then send money to Abbott or Bannon, or otherwise do something. I think most know Biden isn't going to dig/add water to the RG or build the "Bannon Wall".
The administration, via The VP, just the other day claimed that the border is secure.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:40 AM

573 posts, read 340,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
Piranha imported from the Amazon would also help- so we have a few less catfish and carp - works for me.
Go import some then, you're done working.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:43 AM

573 posts, read 340,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The administration, via The VP, just the other day claimed that the border is secure.
So? Not my claim.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:29 PM

20,005 posts, read 18,299,251 times
Quote:
So? Not my claim.
Just making a point.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:14 AM

24,114 posts, read 15,213,644 times
Quote:
I don't have numbers except for Texas.
https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08...using-program/
Over $12 million as of 8/31/22. That's Texas taxpayers paying for all that, and still paying for it.

Another interesting bit is that with DeSantis and Abbott busing/flying immigrants to more liberal states, it appears they may be increasing the chance that these immigrants will stay in the US and not be deported, thus increasing the amount of immigrants staying in the US.

"Asylum judges in districts around the nation’s capital tend to grant refuge more readily than do judges in most of Texas’s thirteen immigration courts. In the Houston court, for instance, some judges denied 100 percent of asylum claims in 2021; a judge in El Paso denied 99 percent. By contrast, in a Baltimore court, where D.C. asylum seekers often appear, one judge denied just 10 percent of claims last year. "
https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-po...migrant-buses/

It appears that these immigrants are happy to accept the free bus or plane ride to DC or NY or Chicago (as Abbot has stated, he will bus/plane the immigrants to these locations if they volunteer. The couple articles I've read (including the Texas Monthly) have stated that typically, the immigrants, once released, have to pay their own way to wherever they want to go, so Abbott is giving them a free ride to where they want.

"What Abbott’s now doing—using state funds to move asylum-seekers somewhere where their families or nonprofits can take care of them—is something immigrant advocates have long dreamed of. Indeed, some nonprofit organizations such as Miles4Migrants, which accepts donations of both cash and frequent-flier miles, exist entirely to help asylum-seekers pay for trips to reunite with family who can shelter them as they await the outcomes of their legal proceedings. "

As for the complaining part, I've read in various articles is that because Abbot/DeSantis don't tell the mayors of the other cities, and they are not ready. But most recently in DC, the mayor has requested FEMA funds, and it appears likely that the US Govt will give them funds. So again, now federal taxpayer money is helping to pay for the immigrants along with Texas residents. [edit to add: and many local charities, both religious and non-religious, are helping and are receiving donations].

Abbott is also seeking donations on the TX/Governor website to help offset, but the only amount I've been able to find is that only $167k has been donated. It didn't have a source so I won't stand by those numbers, but either way, it's pretty low.

Last note for this post: Immigrants cannot get welfare unless they've been in the US for 5 years (Findlaw.com, and many other sites).

Most recent update I could find is now at $14 million
https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-poli...as-14-million/

After researching this, I'm actually for what Abbott is doing - and hope it continues. I don't mind my property, sales, car, and whatever other taxes I pay in Texas go to help send the immigrants to where they want to go and have an increased chance of staying in the US.
Oil lease revenue has doubled and so has the revenue from sales taxes. Texas has no money problem. Last I read those chartered buses are running $1700 a person. And the charter company has to sign off that they will have no contact with anybody in the city where they are headed.

Old 09-18-2022, 12:43 PM

11,929 posts, read 8,154,641 times
https://nypost.com/2022/09/16/martha...ational-guard/

Just virtue signaling elitist's who quickly punt off the problem and cover up their intentions. If they really cared about this, they could easily have afforded to keep them stationed there and provided the necessary resources and shelter to care for them, instead they called it a 'Humanitarian Crisis' and punted them off to Cape Cod.. ..If they want immigration so badly, they should make every effort to push for programs with regulations for less fortunate foreigners to enter the country legally, with accountability, and knowing who is on our homeland.

Quote:
Massachusetts called in the National Guard on Friday to deal with the “humanitarian crisis” that locals claim was set off by just 50 migrants being flown to Martha’s Vineyard by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis — before the deep-blue state shifted the new arrivals to Cape Cod.
50 migrants.. ..a humanitarian crisis when over 2 million of them crossed the border to date this year flooding into southern states amassing chaos at the border without any restriction of where they go while they seek Asylum. Meanwhile very little hits the news about real problems they cause to citizens or even legal immigrants who inhabit border towns.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09...ity-democrats/

Quote:
Ranchers complained that large groups of migrants were entering through their border-adjacent land, cutting high fences, which risked setting their animals loose, damaging the water lines that supply their vast ranches in a semi-arid climate and making it harder for them to tend to their livestock.

On her family’s 17,000-acre ranch, Carruthers saw the same problems. Visitors who came to hunt wild game started stumbling upon the bodies of migrants who apparently died of heat while making the journey. One day, her husband was outside feeding the animals when he saw state police arresting a group of 49 migrants. They worried about the safety of their family.

But Democrats nationally weren’t talking about the border issues her community was experiencing firsthand. They were critical of efforts led by Republicans like Gov. Greg Abbott to build a border wall and increase the presence of law enforcement. Democrats, Carruthers said, weren’t listening. So she switched parties.
Also the thought that migrants prefer blue states because they have friends / families in there is subjective... I won't doubt that there is plenty of truth that they will choose blue states, but I do not believe there is a heavy bias of preference towards them.

An equal argument can be made that migrants tend to prefer southern states because the CoL, available work, and overall environment is less hostile and ironically more forgiving to them despite that they are red states.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...-in-red-states

Quote:
But increasingly the migrants are hopping off the buses before reaching Washington and New York, which are too expensive to settle in for many migrants who don’t have friends or family in those cities. Instead, they are disembarking in red states along the route, where the cost of living is much lower — but where their presence has generated opposition from some state and local officials.

Old 09-18-2022, 01:08 PM

62,106 posts, read 87,887,000 times
But.... Who is going to clean houses, work on fruit/veggie/cotton fields, help in construction, roofing, wipe bottoms in nursing homes, collect trash, mop floors, work in sweatshops etc. for minimum wage?

Old 09-18-2022, 01:24 PM

6,574 posts, read 3,241,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
But.... Who is going to clean houses, work on fruit/veggie/cotton fields, help in construction, roofing, wipe bottoms in nursing homes, collect trash, mop floors, work in sweatshops etc. for minimum wage?
Depends on where you live, I'd imagine. Although I'm now retired, when I was still working, $8.50 was the Federal minimum wage. In some places, it's now in the $15 range, and because that's not attracting enough help, they're now offering up to $20. At that rate, every once in a while, I think about going back into the workforce, just to grab a little "pocket money".....

Old 09-18-2022, 01:30 PM

11,929 posts, read 8,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't mind immigration. I think immigration is a very good thing for many reasons (mostly economical).. regardless of what class of people so long as they are here for good will...

But I do mind the execution of our current immigration policies.

We can still allow immigrants to come here under a legal process that will give them more accountability than they currently have. I agree that America's immigration policies are difficult for less fortunate foreigners and there does need to be a change to allow people who have good will to be here (regardless of what profession or field of work they desire to be in) to come here, but letting them just walk over the border undocumented without any accountability is not that change.

The next issue I mind is these so called progressive leaders (who align more so with elitists than actual progressives) are completely okay with them flooding our borders and not a peep about the problems they cause to law abiding people, but they don't even last 48 hours if you set the same people on their door steps. It is elitism. They're okay with 'us' dealing with the issue but do not follow through with the very words they preach on a personal level.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 09-18-2022 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas