Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 11:13 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,435,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
50-50 chance that realtor is checked out to be with Willie, Waylon and the boys.
That would be unfortunate, considering how long Waylon's been dead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 09:19 AM

75 posts, read 111,706 times
Wow!!! Thank you so much everyone. Thanks for all the feedback.

Related to soil, I do see properties with lots of rocky terrain in that area (HC), though the vineyards seem to do okay, I’m okay with raised beds for personal gardening, but hope to be able to make the area around the home more lush. Maybe this is unrealistic.

I appreciate that StealthRabbit chimed in and has the perspective of both areas (CO and TX, even Pacific NW). We actually romanced a property in Masonville CO for a while. Beautiful! Once we moved on and decided it wasn’t the right fit fires had the whole area evacuated the following season!

We spent 25+ years in N Cali. Loved it but the Bay Area folks brought changes we didn’t prefer, drove prices up, and drugs were an huge issue. No real industry for opportunities as kids got older etc., a lot of moving pieces there. (Kind of similar to changes in Colorado I guess!) It became harder to raise kids and make a living. We’ve been blessed here in CO and there are many things to like, even love and miss if we leave, but politics and attitudes are changing, (we left Cali for a reason), the cost of living is increasingly difficult, as is the pace required to afford it all and the winters are just too much for me and my health anymore. So I share to clarify that we aren’t expecting to find utopia, every place has pros and cons and people who think differently. That’s all fine, we are just looking at our final move to a warmer, but tolerable, climate. Yet, we’ve never really lived in a humid+hot area. N California was super humid but off the redwood coast it was always cool. A very big change to think of Texas weather.

As far as cons to the Tyler area, there are not many. Still, the biggest is probably the humidity, and maybe the economy. While we cannot stand big cities, we do need access to something big enough to earn a living. Our older kids want to go too, but they too need some proximity to a nearby population to make a living. We aren’t ready to retire (our clientele are dentists and I’m a mental health provider). People have to make enough to be able to care for both their teeth and mental health. We have found smaller areas don’t always have the economic opportunities for this in a consistent way.

This is why we thought maybe being north of San Antonio might be nice… access, just not in it! We aren’t fans of Dallas but I guess the same could be said about being just outside of it.

One of my kids was asking if the immigration issues are impacting the hill country area as far as crime and homelessness. Any comments there? I’ve never lived in an area with much in the way of immigration issues, I grew up in a very diverse area, but I was young and didn’t think in these terms, life was different. So I’m not trying to be offensive here I just literally know nothing about it.

Also, someone who spent some time outside of Austin for a few years just warned me last night about the cartel out there/gangs etc. He literally had nothing positive to say about the area or the state for that matter! Any comments on that?

I know crime and crap are everywhere… I don’t need to live where everyone thinks just like me etc. but since we are still raising kids and we Homeschool, it would be nice to find a spot that is basically safe and supportive and where the kids can be involved in a good balance of activities etc.

I will check out all those links and bits of info shared-super helpful! I appreciate all the input. I love the community here-always helpful with info.

Old 02-03-2023, 09:24 AM

StealthRabbit…
You mentioned selling off land in the HC… would love to learn more! Can we private message?

Old 02-04-2023, 03:30 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,312,545 times
If you want the Hill Country atmosphere, but not the tourists and such, move West of Fort Worth in the Palo Pinto area. It's just as pretty with rural charm.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:28 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,435,928 times
You might want to look at the Vernon area. 50 miles to Fort Worth, far enough away to be quiet and more affordable. Kinda humid in the summertime, with most of the rain coming then, but winters are generally very mild, especially compared to Colorado winters.

My mom's family is from that area; it's quite beautiful with big open sky and far more lush vegetation than the Hill Country; and so far, it's not on the tourist trap routes.

On Realtor dot com, there's a 10 acre plot for $50K, 6 miles outside town north of the Pease River. That's a danged reasonable price for land.

Old 02-05-2023, 04:15 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,312,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
You might want to look at the Vernon area. 50 miles to Fort Worth, far enough away to be quiet and more affordable. Kinda humid in the summertime, with most of the rain coming then, but winters are generally very mild, especially compared to Colorado winters.

My mom's family is from that area; it's quite beautiful with big open sky and far more lush vegetation than the Hill Country; and so far, it's not on the tourist trap routes.

On Realtor dot com, there's a 10 acre plot for $50K, 6 miles outside town north of the Pease River. That's a danged reasonable price for land.
Vernon is not that close to Fort Worth... Maybe Wichita Falls.

Old 02-05-2023, 09:05 PM

Thank you again. Good info for consideration. The hill country came up due to lower humidity (for Texas!).

Old 02-05-2023, 10:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
For NW of Ft Worth, there is a CD poster from Wichita Falls, who moved back from a Long distance relocation. I have already had my fill of tornado alley, so personally would prefer Hill Country weather to taking that risk (which may be slight, but still possible). I also much prefer Hill Country metros (Austin and San Antonio) to Dallas, Tyler, or Houston. Just by personal preference, and where I would prefer to raise a family. (Tho Texas would be low on that list). Exposing my kids as minority students to many different cultures and ideas and political systems was a primary objective of ours.

Home schooling is fairly popular everywhere. But search for a Texas homeschool network. There are several. If kids are Jr Hi age +, I would try to stay within 20 - 30 minutes of a community college or state U that would allow dual enrollment or FT college instead of high school. (Free in or income tax free state). I did read that some schools in Texas are offering the FT college track instead of HS. So students can graduate with an AAS instead of a HS Diploma.

Hill country building costs? I find them quite affordable, and very easy (few permits or inspections required). I plan to build my next for considerably under $100/sf. Hopefully under $80. I have a few rural view acreages I picked up very cheap. (Not large enough for OP). I've seen a few Hill Country camps close their doors and sell quite reasonable. Lots of infrastructure in place. I would buy one as shared equity with other homeschool families. Years ago I knew of homeschool families who wanted to buy vineyards, but they were too expensive in the USA, so they bought them in France. They came with multiple houses + caretakers, and we're quite inexpensive.

I.e. there is a way, if you can think and act, outside the box. Of 40+ properties I have only used a realtor 2x, and the vast % of my purchases were never posted for sale. If you wait for properties to be listed for sale.... They are way too expensive, and you have to compete with many other prospective buyers. If you find and negotiate and write a contract BEFORE property is marketed... You can get it very fast and for a fair price, on NO competition. (And no third parties, delays, or complexities or commissions to muff up your purchase).

Old 02-15-2023, 08:20 AM

Always great info and insights Stealthrabbit. Thanks to everyone’s contribution. I just wanted to clarify that I’m not looking to isolate or keep our family unexposed… look forward to the diversity. I was referencing more concern about crime and tension related to the immigration issues, if there are issues.

We are heading to the Hill Country area in April. Can’t wait… it’s snowing again! Lol.
It seems it would be difficult to hear about properties not yet to market as an outsider. ?????

If one had land that had or could get an exemption, what kind of savings does this equate to? % wise, I’m curious as I see some properties that say they have the exemption but the taxes still appear to be quite high.

“High” fencing, I presume is to keep the wildlife out of certain areas, how high is this?

As always, appreciate y’all’s!

Old 02-15-2023, 09:59 AM

18,133 posts, read 25,311,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommalot View Post
Regardless, it would be nice to find the least humid place that doesn’t look and feel like mars…
Good luck with that
In Texas, the drier it is, the closer you are to the Chihuahuan desert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas