Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 07:41 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Illegal window tint is going to be rampant now. Usually that is where it is caught, during the safety inspection.
Tint laws are supposed to protect police officers during traffic stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 09:20 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Tint laws are supposed to protect police officers during traffic stops.
I am aware of the law. Again, just saying there is no checking of tint if safety inspections cease to exist. It will be up to the police officer solely now to check tint if deemed too dark.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:27 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Florida doesn't have safety inspections, Nor does Georgia or even Illinois. All three have similar per-capita deaths on the roadways as Texas as well as large population centers comparable to Texas major metro's in size. Only 15 states including Texas even require Safety Inspections.

Also, Safety inspections are not going away for counties that require emissions testing, which includes most urban areas...

The folks out there that are an endangerment on the road are not cars falling to pieces but rather drivers who shouldn't be behind the wheel to begin with.
National statistics show that the major cause of accidents is distracted driving, mostly cell phone use. More die from that than even drunk driving. Drunk driving is illegal, why isn't using a phone while driving?

Old 06-02-2023, 02:21 PM

11,812 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
National statistics show that the major cause of accidents is distracted driving, mostly cell phone use. More die from that than even drunk driving. Drunk driving is illegal, why isn't using a phone while driving?
It technically is, but impractical to fully enforce.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:19 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I am aware of the law. Again, just saying there is no checking of tint if safety inspections cease to exist. It will be up to the police officer solely now to check tint if deemed too dark.
I see illegal window tint all the time as is. The tint shops will sell it to you and many inspection shops won't fail someone over it as they want to keep getting those customers business.

I can't say how often police pull folks over for tint violations, but as I see illegal tint all the time around here, I doubt its much of a priority. Funny story, back when I first moved to the DC area a decade or so ago I got pulled over in Virginia for illegal tint as my car still had Texas plates and Virginia's tint laws are (or were) stricter than Texas laws. By the way, this was at night in heavy traffic, and the cop saw me from a parking lot and maneuvered through all the traffic to pull me over.

I can't imagine anything like that happening in Texas, at least not in the metros. Maybe in smaller towns.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:09 PM

348 posts, read 831,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
Getting rid of inspections without getting rid of the fee is idiotic.

To clarify, the fee of $7 that goes to the inspection station will no longer be collected. The rest is a little complicated. Until several years ago, inspection stations paid a fee to the state for each sticker they issued and that was part of what the customer paid. Since the inspection stickers went away, that portion of the inspection fee has been collected with the registration fee, and the station collected only the portion they would keep. That portion of the fee is $5.50 and the new bill will raise set the replacement fee at $7.50.

In total, you will save the $7 cost of inspection but your registration renewal will cost $2 more, if I'm reading this correctly.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:31 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
What states are those? And do they compare in size and magnitude to Texas? Similar sized urban areas, similar road structure, etc? For example: Just because a lack of seat belt laws works for New Hampshire doesn’t mean it will work for Texas, Florida, California, etc.

And I’ve known honest shops who did quick inspections, who cranked them out fast, accurately and legally. They had some wipers and bulbs for sale but didn’t deal with the bigger stuff. So now those jobs have been eliminated by the government, and the money confiscated by the government. I’ll remember this one next time I vote.
California doesn't have safety inspections, just periodic emissions inspections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas