Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2023, 06:58 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You get a zero for your effort. You didn't even understand her point. It was about how easy it was to get to things, not that people walked to them.

I don't think Dallas is that hard, but Houston is really easy.
Yeah reading is fundamental and I see quite a few in here lack the fundamentals.

They also ignored the fact that I said over and over the immediate areas around Uptown but keep making it out to be that I said that Uptown is the only walkable area in Dallas.

I think Red has a weekend acquaintance with Dallas but he wants to school people who actually have family there and actually experience life there as residents do and not pop in to a Hotel near the rail and think the entire city as such access.

Maybe in some decades when enough TOD density has been built it will make more of a difference but as of now Dallas is a completely different experience than what it is made of to be.

Red and that other one can get to put words in my mouth all they like, but it doesn't change the fact that the average Houstonian has easier access to amenities by car, bus, bike, feet or whatever because the acreage Houstonian is never far from an amenity laden arterial street. He is acting lie the average Dallas person doesn't have to get in their car also.
But what he is blindly ignoring is for most things you get in your car and then turn onto a main street and everything is there. In Dallas you are undoubtedly getting in the car and taking many streets, sometimes multiple highways before you get there.
In Houston a gallon of milk is always around the corner at the corner store. Dallas, not so much.
He clearly doesn't know Dallas.

Next time you are in Dallas Red pick any area that's not north of Downtown and explore (other than the Bishop Arts area). I bet you have not been in those areas because there's nothing there but residential and by residential I mean street after street of of single family homes.

Have you even lived inside Beltway 8 Red? I hope you are not comparing life in Sugarland to your weekend in Uptown.

People always compare their life in some random place to their weekend visits and think that their 3 star stay makes life greener on the other side. It is not. I had the same illusion of Vegas until I wondered if the strip. You constantly mention getting song Houston and not once. Mentioned getting around Dallas. Because your didn't get around Dallas.

This is very easy. Dallas and Houston both host huge events such as the superbowl. More than a decade later you still hear complaints about how getting around to events when Dallas hosted was horrible and how Houston's was much easier to navigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
See the problem with your assessment is you're going straight off the numbers and not actual experience. Now Energy corridor has all the potential in the world to be a very pedestrian friendly neighborhood because of it's density and proximity to retail stores,etc. But walking in that area was extremely difficult It was actually quicker to get in my car and drive to the park instead of walking with my child.
See the problem with your accessment is you keep willfully ignoring the fact that I mentioned that we are going with the assumption that upwards of 90% of residents in both metros are going to be getting in their cars anyway. In fact more people in Dallas will be getting in their cars.

So we have already passed the fact that we are taking about getting to amenities by car multiple times, so I don't know what you are trying to do my making the argument that The EC is not walkable when the premise has nothing to do with walking. We are talking about proximity to amenities and not even the Dallas folk are making the argument that Dallassites are closer to amenities so so acting like people don't know places, clearly you are the one operating under limited experiences.

The Dallas folk. Like my BF Dallaz, it's arguing quality of amenities so you are on a different page with everyone. Please keep up

Old 08-26-2023, 08:42 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You completely missed my point probably because you're an insecure Houstonian especially when Dallas gets mentioned in a positive light.

From my experience, getting around Houston in most commercial areas is not easy because you have to get in your car for places that should be a 10 minute walk at best. Then factor in driving with thousands of other drivers just to literally drive down the street and it can get exhausting real quick. Like I said, Houston's density largely doesn't work in it's favor because most people are opting to get in the car due to it's lackluster non friendly pedestrian infrastructure.

My experience in Energy Corridor off Eldridge is a prime example of how exhausting it is to DRIVE and WALK to these close places next to our residence.

Have yall ever lived anywhere else other than Houston? Doesn't sound like it if yall think navigating through Houston is easy. And it's gotten worst btw because more people have moved here.
I lived in DC, Hampton Roads and Austin for years. LA and Dallas too for quick spells.

In my opinion, Houston is easier to get around than any of them. DC is definitely easier by walking. All of the others are harder by both walking and driving.

I'm not saying that Houston is developed or laid out perfectly - the city has a LOT of work to do on that front. But overall, when it comes to getting where you need to go in the time you want to take to get there, Houston isn't bad.

Old 08-26-2023, 10:13 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yeah reading is fundamental and I see quite a few in here lack the fundamentals.

They also ignored the fact that I said over and over the immediate areas around Uptown but keep making it out to be that I said that Uptown is the only walkable area in Dallas.

I think Red has a weekend acquaintance with Dallas but he wants to school people who actually have family there and actually experience life there as residents do and not pop in to a Hotel near the rail and think the entire city as such access.

Maybe in some decades when enough TOD density has been built it will make more of a difference but as of now Dallas is a completely different experience than what it is made of to be.

Red and that other one can get to put words in my mouth all they like, but it doesn't change the fact that the average Houstonian has easier access to amenities by car, bus, bike, feet or whatever because the acreage Houstonian is never far from an amenity laden arterial street. He is acting lie the average Dallas person doesn't have to get in their car also.
But what he is blindly ignoring is for most things you get in your car and then turn onto a main street and everything is there. In Dallas you are undoubtedly getting in the car and taking many streets, sometimes multiple highways before you get there.
In Houston a gallon of milk is always around the corner at the corner store. Dallas, not so much.

Next time you are in Dallas Red pick any area that's not north of Downtown and explore (other than the Bishop Arts area). I bet you have not been in those areas because there's nothing there but residential and by residential I mean street after street of of single family homes.

Have you even lived inside Beltway 8 Red? I hope you are not comparing life in Sugarland to your weekend in Uptown.

People always compare their life in some random place to their weekend visits and think that their 3 star stay makes life greener on the other side. It is not. I had the same illusion of Vegas until I wondered if the strip. You constantly mention getting song Houston and not once. Mentioned getting around Dallas. Because your didn't get around Dallas.

This is very easy. Dallas and Houston both host huge events such as the superbowl. More than a decade later you still hear complaints about how getting around to events when Dallas hosted was horrible and how Houston's was much easier to navigate.
Where in Dallas would a huge stadium and accompanying amenities fit without destroying total neighborhoods? Arlington had the available land and in a central location. I agree that DFW should have centralized the Super Bowl and I think there was a huge lessons learned from that mess. The weather didn’t help any either.

Old 08-27-2023, 12:10 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:

1) Exactly what is immediate to you? Sounds like goalposting but I'm curious what are the immediate areas around Uptown you speak of?

2) Pop in a hotel near rail? The last time I was in Dallas I was at the Hilton Anatole and I don't recall any rail lines nearby. Nowadays though whenever we do go to DFW where either staying in Mansfield or Hickory Creek with relatives but okay.

3) You complain about me misconstruing your words yet you're doing that to me. LOL Never did I say Houston doesn't have easy access or that Dallas has more of that access to amenities. I simply said it's nothing to brag about because those heavily dense commercial filled streets are a b*tch to drive in. And that's because the infrastructure is sh*t and it's too many cars on the road because of that infrastructure and because of that density. Give me the Dallas suburbs with less commercial streets. Separation from residential and commercial spaces and I can get a little bit more relief driving in those spaces compared to what I go through in Houston everyday and especially during peak hours. That's my personal opinion. Why are you arguing against that? You think it's better to drive in Houston. FINE congrats!

4) Give us an example of the many streets and even multiple highways where Dallasites would have to go to get a gallon of milk. Give us a specific example since I know nothing about a city I've been going to since the late 80s.

5)South of Bishop Arts District is pretty much Oak Cliff/ Red Bird/ Cedar Crest. I mean I been hitting up South Dallas for years. What don't I know about that area? Use to get cd's and tall tee's at Big T's back in the day. You got some nice Black owned down home food joints like Sweet Georgia Brown, Rudy's Chicken and Wingfield's Breakfast & Burger that's pretty good. Me and my friends use to hit on girls back at the Redbird Mall, that was always fun. The Dallas Zoo is technically south of Bishop Arts District. I mean what am I missing here? Are you talking about food desserts? Because if so I can assure you Houston has those as well. Have you been to 5th Ward? What about Acres Homes or Sunnyside? Hell East Houston? Help me help you.

6) Have I lived inside the Beltway before? Let me see, I've lived in Westchase, 3rd Ward, Humble, Energy Corridor, Galleria area, Northwest Houston, The Woodlands and now I live in Katy. I been in Houston now over 15 years. The only areas I don't know like that is anything east of 59/69. I don't know where you get this idea that anytime I go to Dallas I'm staying in 5 star hotels. Most times I've gone to Dallas I was staying with friends or family. And I would stay for days, weeks, summers throughout my life. My ex of 2 years stayed in Far North Dallas. She stayed 5 minutes away from Valley View Mall before that shut down. This was many years ago back in 2005-2008ish. Between her and my best friend I would be there or in Carrolton. Back then we rarely even went into the core of Dallas like that unless it was Deep Ellum.

You need to get out of Houston more.

Old 08-27-2023, 12:24 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I lived in DC, Hampton Roads and Austin for years. LA and Dallas too for quick spells.

In my opinion, Houston is easier to get around than any of them. DC is definitely easier by walking. All of the others are harder by both walking and driving.

I'm not saying that Houston is developed or laid out perfectly - the city has a LOT of work to do on that front. But overall, when it comes to getting where you need to go in the time you want to take to get there, Houston isn't bad.
And that's your experience. My experience on the other hand is that Houston is more exhausting to drive in than any other city I've lived in due to the infrastructure and density.

Like tonight, I'm on one of the side streets off Washington ave. coming from a taco stand. I have to make a left on Washington but it's hard to see oncoming traffic to my left because there's cars parked on the side of the street that's blocking my peripheral vision. So while I'm focusing on that there's a few people walking across the street that I also have to look out for plus traffic from my right side as well. So basically I have to time this and basically pull out on a prayer and hope I don't get hit by oncoming traffic. Compared to other cities I lived or been in for brief stints that scenario doesn't happen as often as my experiences in Houston. The infrastructure, the aggressive driving culture, lack of cohesive walkable places, the density, the many amenities, the growing population is making Houston from my perspective a more unbearable place to get around in. This just my experience.

Old 08-27-2023, 02:17 AM

835 posts, read 454,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

I agree with this. Driving in Houston is substantially easier than driving in Chicago imo. There’s a lot more congestion on surface streets due to higher retail density and parking is an enormous headache. Going longer distances in Houston is a lot easier due to its car centric planning. Also Downtown Chicago drivers are just awful. Now walking and transit are definitely available here whereas in Houston that really isn’t an option outside of a select few neighborhoods. Dallas is pretty much the same imo.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:48 AM

Houston marches to a different drum than Dallas. It is crazy sometimes, but it does give the city more energy.

Norman was talking about buildings looking out of place in Houston last week, but I have to say that student Housing building being built next to UH really jumps out at you when you are on 45 heading to Downtown. I will try to find pictures of it, but it looks like a beast of a building with nothing comparable around it.

I know that the UH area is trying to get away from that commuter school image so I expect more of those buildings in the future, but man, that pioneer building reminds me of those Anti Ashby Hirise posters where the tower has fangs and is looking menacingly down at the neighborhood.

Edit: I found some shots:

1. https://imgur.io/bRS5BBM

2. https://imgur.io/At5Smye

3. https://imgur.io/35QqXFz

The second link has a nice shot of downtown in the distance and the 3rd you can see TMC to Greenway and Upper Kirby areas. But from the first pic you really see how isolated the building is.

The shorter student housing building in front also shows how Houston marches to a different drum.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Nb6RCmvZ8jXWcLLg6
More transit oriented development like this would boost the energy of that area. But then they went and spoiled it with parking fronting the rail station.

Never understood why Houston continues to build parking on the side of the building that faces a train station. The garage could easily have been accessed from a side street, but developers are always scared to give off the impression that parking is not readily available. It's like they are scared that the project won't be successful if parking isn't among one of the first things people see.

Old 08-27-2023, 11:05 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:

Some of you people are just out of it. You might recall DFW suffered one if its worst ice storms in decades a few days before Superbowl XLV.

Old 08-27-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Some of you people are just out of it. You might recall DFW suffered one if its worst ice storms in decades a few days before Superbowl XLV.
The icestorms affected logistics but logistics was awful all around. Spread out activities with poor linkages between them.

The world cup is coming. We are going to see how each city handles things side by side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas