Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas’ best signature event
Fiesta (San Antonio) 4 9.30%
Mardi Gras (Galveston) 3 6.98%
Rodeo (Houston) 13 30.23%
South by Southwest (Austin) 8 18.60%
Stock Show (Fort Worth) 3 6.98%
Texas State Fair (Dallas) 12 27.91%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 11:45 AM

6,525 posts, read 7,607,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I think SXSW stands above the rest in national recognition, but like Malcorub16 I chose the Rodeo as it is a more broadly, stereotypically Texan signature event
Yes, the rest are all quintessential Texas. I couldn't see them happening anywhere else.

SXSW, however, could essentially be held in New York, California or Seattle and it would be basically the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 12:04 PM

10,050 posts, read 6,754,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Yes, the rest are all quintessential Texas. I couldn't see them happening anywhere else.

SXSW, however, could essentially be held in New York, California or Seattle and it would be basically the same thing.
The rest except Mardi Gras

Old 09-11-2023, 12:11 PM

6,525 posts, read 7,607,879 times
^ ah, true!

Old 09-11-2023, 03:00 PM

5,275 posts, read 6,448,287 times
Every state has a fair, and Texas' isn't that different. Many other state fairs have better (and by better I mean more contemporary or currently famous) musical artists, are cheaper, and the actual attendance is questionable due to the cartel that runs the TX State Fair - but some might even have larger attendance.

Many states also have rodeos. Back when I knew people who showed actual animals, the Houston Stock Show and Rodeo wasn't particularly anything out the ordinary. San Antonio and Ft Worth were equally as big a deal.

I've only heard about Fiesta in San Antonio on TV, even though I grew up close by.

Old 09-11-2023, 03:08 PM

18,167 posts, read 25,408,723 times
I think is funny that Houston brags about having the biggest rodeo/fair.

The best fairs I've been to have been in small towns of 20k people.
I even liked the one in Conroe better than the one in Houston.

Old 09-11-2023, 03:13 PM

10,050 posts, read 6,754,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I think is funny that Houston brags about having the biggest rodeo/fair.

The best fairs I've been to have been in small towns of 20k people.
I even liked the one in Conroe better than the one in Houston.
You’re confusing the rodeo with the state fair

Old 09-11-2023, 03:20 PM

15,299 posts, read 35,767,100 times
Hmm...the ranking says 'signature' event. Signature for who, I guess? People in state, or visitors from out of state?

But then the first post says "respective city’s signature events rank against each other". That is a different question, really.

The State Fair and the Houston Rodeo are great events, but they have parallels in many other states. While they have unique aspects to them, I don't think they are uniquely Texas.

While I Much prefer Mardi Gras (Galveston) to Mardi Gras (New Orleans) for a variety of reasons, people outside of TX likely do not know if exists and even Texans will (best case) ask which MG you are referring to if you do not explicitly say. Honestly, Dickens on the Strand is a better uniquely Galveston thing.

The Stock Show in FW and SXSW in Austin both are known internationally (my European co-workers really are into the 'old west') and are more unique.

I think Fiesta SA is also unique but not nearly as widely known, for whatever reason.

Now, given a choice of one event, I would pick the State Fair during UT/OU weekend, but that is just me .

Old 09-11-2023, 05:12 PM

598 posts, read 325,407 times
Houston rodeo especially the trail rides leading up to the parade to the rodeo site. I recall a Massachusetts guy and his wife in Houston their first day for his new job in Houston. His wife looks out and sees horses being ridden near downtown Houston and she thought my gosh I head no idea they still rode those to work.

Old 09-11-2023, 06:28 PM

21,528 posts, read 10,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
There was previously a Rodeo vs State Fair poll.

This time around, I thought it would be interesting to see how these events, which are their respective city’s signature events rank against eachother.

Fiesta San Antonio
Mardi Gras - Galveston
Rodeo - Houston
South by Southwest - Austin
Stock Show - Fort Worth
Texas State Fair - Dallas
I had to vote rodeo since I've only ever been to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. I did go to Cow Town stock show once but it was just a ride around the corral and not much more than a tourist attraction. I went to Galveston once while Mardi Gras was happening but it wasn't a big event so I couldn't judge what it was like.

Never been to the State Fair, and never heard of Fiesta. Now I'm intrigued.

Old 09-11-2023, 06:31 PM

21,528 posts, read 10,653,289 times
I forgot to mention SXSW. It used to be awesome when it first started. Very quintessentially Austin. You could buy tickets and go to like 20 live shows for a few dollars. That was cool. But then the word got out and it became very corporate Hollywood, and now I couldn't afford to go even if I wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas