Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:49 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times

Advertisements

I agree that the rates are too high. However, when my current contract ended in April and I checked out the "power to choose" offers in my area, I found that we had more options now and less expensive offerings. I was able to get a "carbon neutral" plan 1 cent cheaper per kw/hr. this time so I was pleased.

I'm hoping that more wind energy and more companies coming into our market will increase competition and lower prices. Regardless, I'd NEVER go "month-to-month." Locking in the price for a year seems to be the best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
i went month to month, cuz i am moving to the waaaaaaaay out country around Gatesville/South Mountain/Jonesboro/Evant areas late September, and i didnt want to have a cancellation fee, cuz i think they have electric cooperatives out there perhaps.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I agree that the rates are too high. However, when my current contract ended in April and I checked out the "power to choose" offers in my area, I found that we had more options now and less expensive offerings. I was able to get a "carbon neutral" plan 1 cent cheaper per kw/hr. this time so I was pleased.

I'm hoping that more wind energy and more companies coming into our market will increase competition and lower prices. Regardless, I'd NEVER go "month-to-month." Locking in the price for a year seems to be the best bet.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
JamesAbilene: You are absolutely right. The politicians and utilities got together and told us that deregulation was going to make electricity cheaper. Sold us a bill of goods, they did.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:31 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
The funny thing is Perdenales Coop is being hauled before Congress because of their lavish salaries and kickbacks. Yet the energy in regulated markets in Texas is still 50% cheaper than in Houston and Dallas despite this corruption.

Should show you how uncompetitive 'deregulation' is and how the companies fix prices.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:58 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
In the city I live in we can't choose who we buy our electric from as the city owns a major elec power plant. Years and years ago everyone said this city had the highest electricity in the area. Not any more. Since we have lived here for 15 years we have had lower rates than all of my relatives in neighboring cities w/ TXU. On my current bill it shows my usage amounts to $18.18 a day. Last month it was $10.03 per day. For the same month last year, $16.31 a day but our usage is up from that time last year. I guess to keep us all happy and cool $18 a day is not toooooo bad. I still wish it was lower.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
$18 /day is not too bad?

$18 x 31 days = $558 /mo.

I'd say that's downright horrible!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
$18 /day is not too bad?

$18 x 31 days = $558 /mo.

I'd say that's downright horrible!!!
Well considering my husband prefers to sleep in a meat locker. The house stays set at about 74-76 all the time. Two story, 5000 sq ft, two zones (up and down), pool, kids and dogs going in and out all the time. A teenager that doesn't get "TURN OFF THE LIGHT!" yet. I'm thinking of deducting her usage from her allowance . Overall the house is pretty energy efficient. Just that there is a lot going on. I've thought about doing some kind of solar but w/ the HOA we are not allowed to do ANY kind of solar panels. Someone even told me about some that look like shingles. No can do still. URGH!!! We have tons of trees that help shade the house as well on our lot. The way the house is situated I don't have to lose many lights at all during the day so even if we are home downstairs you won't find a light on (upstairs w/ the kids is a different story - WHY DO YOU NEED A LIGHT ON IN THE BRIGHT OF DAY W/ A BIG WINDOW LETTING IN NATURAL LIGHT!!!! - they don't get it, urgh).

If the house was half the size that would be only $9 a day. For the average user in this area w/ a house of only 2000 sq ft it would be $9-10 a day.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
A teenager that doesn't get "TURN OFF THE LIGHT!" yet. I'm thinking of deducting her usage from her allowance .
Mom, for a while, I charged my then 9 year old a quarter each time she forgot to turn off the light-payable immediately. It worked until enforcement became lax. Wife thought I was being a meany, but she doesn't pay the bills.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:05 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Momof2 that's not bad on relative terms. Our house is a little less than half the size of yours, and the bill is proportional. We've done a few things to make it efficient as well. The summer heat came on a little early this year which has hurt a little.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 AM

430 posts, read 1,359,202 times
Most of the electricity in Texas is generated by Natural Gas. It looked like a good deal when gas was 20% of what it is now.

TXU was going to build some more coal plants, but everyone is upset about "Dirty coal".

When TXU was bought by private equity, everyone cheered bcause PE decided not to build those plants.

Duh.

We'll see who will be laughing when demand outstrips supply sometime in 2010.

MO is fortunate to have nukes, coal plants, and HUGE KS windfarms to supply it as well as slow-growing population.

We need to build some more nukes in TX. I'd like to pay the pennies they do in MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas