Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:58 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

sorry to read that Charlie Robinson and wife Emily of Dixie Chick fame have divorced--
read article not too long ago in SA paper I think about how happy they were on their ranch outside SA
guess not...
been married about 10 years and have 3 small children
I am sure their careers had lot to do with it--Dixie Chicks have rebounded from that put-down of GB and have another top rated CD--his has never really "taken off" if you compare them...
although he is considered a quality song writer/musician but is just a little too outside the curve for mass-marketing--which he says he does not want...

really low profile divorce--did it in Bexar county

Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 PM

348 posts, read 1,223,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
sorry to read that Charlie Robinson and wife Emily of Dixie Chick fame have divorced--
read article not too long ago in SA paper I think about how happy they were on their ranch outside SA
guess not...
I am sure their careers had lot to do with it--Dixie Chicks have rebounded from that put-down of GB and have another top rated CD--his has never really "taken off" if you compare them...
although he is considered a quality song writer/musician but is just a little too outside the curve for mass-marketing--which he says he does not want...

The news is sad to hear since they have children together.

Since we don't know the reasons, I do know that as a songwriter, Charlie is a top-notch talented artist and one cannot compare their music careers. Apples to oranges. He is a star in Americana music.

Whenever Charlie or his brother Bruce are playing a concert in town, we always try to go since they are so talented and enjoy listening to their music. More so than Top 40 sound and flashy lights of the Dixie Chicks.

The Dixie Chics are part of a different beat, genre and perhaps those two worlds did collide. Who knows.

Charlie has a huge fan base and a lot of support. I wish him well.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:02 PM

I doubt that he would turn down a gold record if one came up---
not saying he is not talented but he is not everyone's cup of tea

Dixie Chicks ARE talented--if you have ever been to a concert I don't see how you can discount their musical talent or crowd appeal--
while all 3 may not be as creative at writing songs/music as Robinson they are not music clones--their stance vis a vi George Bush and the Iraq war has pretty much proved to be fairly spot on and shows that they are not so tied to chasing fame that they will ignore their consciences...natalie only said what they were all thinking...even Charlie...

Old 08-08-2008, 04:57 PM

348 posts, read 1,223,018 times
I'm not going to touch the chick comments about President Bush. That was years ago.....and we all have our own opinions still. And I never made any comments about them not having talent sooo....not I'm following ya?

As for Charlie, he is one of the bigger draws in the Texas Music circuit and he would probably lose his following if he were to 'sell out' to Nashville like many others have.

Look what happened to Pat Green. He went to Nashville and many of his original fans are not happy with what happened to his new music. He's not as popular.

So in my opinion, Charlie is smart for staying local and making a living doing what he loves and by writing music and pleasing his fans...not corporate BMG or nashville $$.

Who knows what happened, maybe they fell out of love? Maybe he'll write some songs about it...stay tuned.

Either way, it's so sad. We saw him play a few months ago in Helotes, TX. We talked to him and asked about how his family was doing. He is so down to earth and really really tall!

Old 08-10-2008, 12:41 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
guess not...

Wow, looks like the SA newspaper has turned into the Enquirer!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 01:53 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
I agree--you cannot even begin to compare the chicks music with Charlie's music. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They are both talented in their own rights.

As for the Chicks/Bush debacle....I go to concerts and pay good money to hear artists sing...NOT get on their soap boxes and diss the POTUS. No matter what your feelings are about George W. ....you still should NOT go on foreign soil and diss the POTUS. It is an office and title to be upheld, esp on foreign soil! We may not like who's running our country but you should stand behind the title. It is the same as yelling at your mate in private and then going out in public and shaming him/her in front of others by yelling at him/her....you just don't do that.

Now, I know I am going to be flamed for this but this is how I feel about the Chicks, esp. Natalie and her big mouth. Shut up and sing---that's what you get paid for! If I want to hear someone diss the POTUS, I can turn on CNN and listen to all sorts of "know-it-alls". But I certainly don't want to listen to it when I am out on the town for a night trying to enjoy some great music.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:32 AM

285 posts, read 677,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I agree--you cannot even begin to compare the chicks music with Charlie's music. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They are both talented in their own rights.

As for the Chicks/Bush debacle....I go to concerts and pay good money to hear artists sing...NOT get on their soap boxes and diss the POTUS. No matter what your feelings are about George W. ....you still should NOT go on foreign soil and diss the POTUS. It is an office and title to be upheld, esp on foreign soil! We may not like who's running our country but you should stand behind the title. It is the same as yelling at your mate in private and then going out in public and shaming him/her in front of others by yelling at him/her....you just don't do that.

Now, I know I am going to be flamed for this but this is how I feel about the Chicks, esp. Natalie and her big mouth. Shut up and sing---that's what you get paid for! If I want to hear someone diss the POTUS, I can turn on CNN and listen to all sorts of "know-it-alls". But I certainly don't want to listen to it when I am out on the town for a night trying to enjoy some great music.
No flame from me as I agree 100%. Just because we have the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Lori

Old 08-10-2008, 07:01 AM

did you say the same thing about Toby K when he lead the diatrabe against Dixie Chicks
there are plenty of people who buy/listen/support music from people who DO bring their message with their product--Bruce Springsteen, U2 are the first two that come to mind--even Jimmy Buffett prosletizes for his POV which is mindless wasting away in Margaritaville...

Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Quote:
did you say the same thing about Toby K when he lead the diatrabe against Dixie Chicks
there are plenty of people who buy/listen/support music from people who DO bring their message with their product--Bruce Springsteen, U2 are the first two that come to mind--even Jimmy Buffett prosletizes for his POV which is mindless wasting away in Margaritaville...
I don't want to listen to any of their crap! I pay to hear them SING!! If they have another problem with another artist, so be it--but keep it OFF the stage. But the POTUS is a WHOLE other situation!! No-one (or should I say NO AMERICAN) should be dissing the POTUS on FOREIGN SOIL!! Natalie found out the hard way--it cost her many loyal fans and pretty much ostracized the Dixie Chicks from Nashville!

Old 08-10-2008, 05:36 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
The only reason I would listen to the Dixie Chicks is because of their comments and willingness to stand by them. When they wore FUTK shirts, it sealed the deal. They captured a new fan base, leaving the ignorant masses behind, which is fine by me.

What I find funny is the people who criticize them for their views, but latch on to people trying to make a buck off of hatred like Toby Keith. Bravo Dixie Chicks and Green Day and others who question blind patriotism... it's a disease that should be erradicated with education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas