Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 7,563 times

Advertisements

I am being denied access to my property in Milam county Texas. The property is landlocked and has been in my family for over a century. It was purchased by my father’s father as a token of freedom for the toil, blood, sweat, and tears shed when he was freed from slavery. I find it ironic that today we are still not free to use the land because it is landlocked. It has been over ten years now. The first attempt to negotiate access began in 1990 and proved to be fruitless. Numerous contacts with neighboring property owners have been unsuccessful. I feel we have no other option at this time other than to seek legal action and acquire an easement by necessity. I am a disabled veteran. My wife and I are both retired with a fixed and limited income. We cannot afford and wish to avoid the cost of litigation. When the property was transferred as part of the deed, a road appurtenant to the land was included in the grant. The road that was used for many years when the family lived on the land has since been abandoned. Neighbors surrounding the property are unwilling to allow us access. They are infringing and grazing their cattle on our land without permission. Any assistance, intervention or advice would be greatly appreciated. We pray that a settlement can be reached without litigation. Thank you for your time and any advice or help that you may be able to provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 02:12 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
you need an attorney
you won't get what you want without one and maybe not then
you waited too long probably--if land is abandoned and used by others for seven years I think it reverts to people who use it

are you paying taxes on this land--how large is it

Old 10-12-2008, 07:07 AM

3 posts, read 10,572 times
Default Hope for landlocked

this is no fun. As far as I know, Texas has the longest "hostile easement" requirement, or prescriptive easement. It's for sure time to either prevent your neighbors from "hostile" use, or give them permission to graze. If they have permission, they cannot later sue you and win the use through prescription. Although there are exceptions it takes 19 years in Texas to get this type of easement.
Of course you might not know all of you neighbors grazing there, and giving them all permission just to be safe might damage your property.

Also you can deny them access and use just one day a year and that will prevent them claiming, "enjoyment" of your property.
best of luck with this.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Definitely get an attorney's advice on this one. It can get very complicated, but if there was a deeded easement, you should stand a chance, IF you get an attorney.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:17 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Yep, you need an attorney ASAP. Easement rights are never extinguished but you have to assert your rights. As of now, you may lose your property to adverse possession if you do not do everything right.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:55 AM

550 posts, read 1,549,653 times
Default Get legal advice!

I know of one rancher that this happened to years ago. Through inheritance of the original ranch that got cross ways they tried to deny access to another relative. She took it to court and won and got access across one of the other properties. There is a law in Texas that prevents other from denying access to your property. This was written when the big ranches where trying to force someone to sell out by denying access.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
There is alot more than just you who bought land with no acesss agreement with other land owners. I know people who loss and never got accesss;just sold the lans to another land owner. Many don't want peole driving thru their land especaily new comers I guess. Soe land comes with access whehn the land was splitup tho.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
texdav, in this particular case, evidently there was a deeded easement that fell out of use. They didn't buy the land; it's been in their family for generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas