Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 02:58 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,792 times

Advertisements

Definitely stay away. Grew up there, moved out two years ago, and I've never been happier. The valley fails in so many respects. x[ But if you're set on moving there, I second looking into Sharyland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 01:06 PM

8 posts, read 21,727 times
Stay far, far away!!! Here's my take on the Valley:

I'm highly educated, I hold a professional degree from a top law school, and going absolutely out of my mind after six months into a two year obligation.

I tried, I really tried to like McAllen and the Valley, however, I just can't take it anymore. Initially the lure of Mexico, South Padre and just the general intrigue that surrounds any new location was enough to carry me for the first few months. However, that initial euphoria has quickly faded and the realities of McAllen and the Valley have set in.

First, there is no ignoring it: the Valley as a whole is just plain ugly. For the most part it consists of one strip mall after another with parking lots full of dirty diapers, packing material (I have learned that to avoid paying duties upon import into Mexico, Mexican Citizens purchase goods and un-box them in the parking lot haphazardly disposing of the packing material), and other miscellaneous refuse.

Second, the bizarre driving habits of Valley drivers. Wow, never in all of my life, and I have lived in few very large metropolitan areas - San Francisco and Dallas come to mind, have I seen more clueless drivers. There are two groups of drivers on the road: those that drive 35 in 55 zone and those that drive 55 in 35 zone, nothing in between. While there is no traffic to speak of, the "rolling roadblocks" of two or three cars blocking all lanes of traffic while going 20 below the speed limit is enough to make me want to tear my hair out.

Next, the people, well let me just say good luck getting to know them. As an outsider, and a gringo (white), the locals while pleasant, are mostly Valley natives and have no interest in socializing with you beyond exchanging the basic pleasantries as they are all far too wrapped up in their Valley lives with their large pre-established relationships to afford you the time of day outside of work.

Moreover, and most disappointing, is the fact that a few clans run the show. That's right, there are a few powerful families who in some fashion or another run nearly everything. If you know the right people then things always seem to resolve in your favor rule-of-law-be-damned. I have on more than one occasion joked that any new resident of the Valley should receive from the local Chamber of Commerce a "clan map" to assist them in navigating the incestuous power relationships that exist here.

In addition, seeing what I see on a daily basis both at work, and in the community as a whole, has led me to the staunch belief that raising a gringo child in McAllen would be of huge disservice to them. In general you have two schooling options: Public schools, which on paper appear to be sound, however, the reality is that your child will be woefully behind in English and reading and far ahead of the curve in substance abuse and gang identification skills. Then there are the private parochial schools which will turn your child into a fervent zealot. Neither alternative is particularly attractive. Oh, as to college options in the Valley - there are none. UTPA is a complete and utter joke. And anyone that says otherwise is fooling themselves

Finally, getting out of the Valley is a chore. As others have pointed out San Antonio is four hours away and Houston six, or so, hours away. While the Valley does have a few airports the airlines, within the last four months or so, have been paring down their schedules to make any weekend travel to the East or West Coast an expensive exercise in futility.

The above, while not an exhaustive list by any means, is just a small sampling of why I can't wait to get the heck out of the McAllen and the Valley in general.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:17 PM

244 posts, read 804,238 times
Try Corpus Christi. I think you'll be much happier.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:07 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
I agree with cyrexpl except for his opinion on UTPA. Who they admit is an utter joke, and that is the big issue. The programs are actually very good and they do have many Ivy league educated professors. Their Science programs are surprisingly strong. My wife got her degree from UTPA and works for one of the largest chemical companies in Houston. Now is it UT-Austin? No. But it is still a part of the UT system, which makes it a good school. I would rank it higher than University of Houston.

Sorry to chime in on you again, cyrexpl. I understand why you would have such an opinion. UTPA admits far too many of the locals, which really brings their reputation (and their Tier) down. But trust me, once you apply for jobs, all the employers see is "UT". This is especially true if your degree is in sciences.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
I didnt live in the Valley but lived in South Texas and my experience is EXACTLY the same as yours. I did one year hell tour there. Beware of any hate mail you will get. I have actually gotten threats of bodily harm from a man on here, because some people think that if you are negative about South Texas/RGV that you must be racist.
You are lucky you have been unscathed by a motor vehicle accident by one of those crazy drivers. I was hit by someone who had no drivers license or insurance, and had to pay the deductible out of my own pocket to repair my truck, and my deductible is high because i am a safe driver.
If I had not gotten out of South Texas after one year, I would have lost my soul and spirit. It sucked the life out of me. I was so geographically, culturally, socially isolated that I almost felt like I had lost my social skills, my personality, my identity, my joie de vivre.....I made ALOT of money, but there is no amount of money that could have kept me there, NO amount.
Oh, and to add, for the first time in my life, I was harrassed and stalked by a police officer, and had to give a deposition, as did my three other fellow "anglo" female coworkers. I saw my neighbors experience so much theft that they moved away as fast as they could. I felt very unsafe there. I couldn't believe that I was living in Texas, it wasnt the Texas I knew. (I had been in Georgia for 3 years and wanted to return back to my home, Texas, but was swayed by the lure of big money)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrexpl View Post
Stay far, far away!!! Here's my take on the Valley:

I'm highly educated, I hold a professional degree from a top law school, and going absolutely out of my mind after six months into a two year obligation.

I tried, I really tried to like McAllen and the Valley, however, I just can't take it anymore. Initially the lure of Mexico, South Padre and just the general intrigue that surrounds any new location was enough to carry me for the first few months. However, that initial euphoria has quickly faded and the realities of McAllen and the Valley have set in.

First, there is no ignoring it: the Valley as a whole is just plain ugly. For the most part it consists of one strip mall after another with parking lots full of dirty diapers, packing material (I have learned that to avoid paying duties upon import into Mexico, Mexican Citizens purchase goods and un-box them in the parking lot haphazardly disposing of the packing material), and other miscellaneous refuse.

Second, the bizarre driving habits of Valley drivers. Wow, never in all of my life, and I have lived in few very large metropolitan areas - San Francisco and Dallas come to mind, have I seen more clueless drivers. There are two groups of drivers on the road: those that drive 35 in 55 zone and those that drive 55 in 35 zone, nothing in between. While there is no traffic to speak of, the "rolling roadblocks" of two or three cars blocking all lanes of traffic while going 20 below the speed limit is enough to make me want to tear my hair out.

Next, the people, well let me just say good luck getting to know them. As an outsider, and a gringo (white), the locals while pleasant, are mostly Valley natives and have no interest in socializing with you beyond exchanging the basic pleasantries as they are all far too wrapped up in their Valley lives with their large pre-established relationships to afford you the time of day outside of work.

Moreover, and most disappointing, is the fact that a few clans run the show. That's right, there are a few powerful families who in some fashion or another run nearly everything. If you know the right people then things always seem to resolve in your favor rule-of-law-be-damned. I have on more than one occasion joked that any new resident of the Valley should receive from the local Chamber of Commerce a "clan map" to assist them in navigating the incestuous power relationships that exist here.

In addition, seeing what I see on a daily basis both at work, and in the community as a whole, has led me to the staunch belief that raising a gringo child in McAllen would be of huge disservice to them. In general you have two schooling options: Public schools, which on paper appear to be sound, however, the reality is that your child will be woefully behind in English and reading and far ahead of the curve in substance abuse and gang identification skills. Then there are the private parochial schools which will turn your child into a fervent zealot. Neither alternative is particularly attractive. Oh, as to college options in the Valley - there are none. UTPA is a complete and utter joke. And anyone that says otherwise is fooling themselves

Finally, getting out of the Valley is a chore. As others have pointed out San Antonio is four hours away and Houston six, or so, hours away. While the Valley does have a few airports the airlines, within the last four months or so, have been paring down their schedules to make any weekend travel to the East or West Coast an expensive exercise in futility.

The above, while not an exhaustive list by any means, is just a small sampling of why I can't wait to get the heck out of the McAllen and the Valley in general.

Last edited by NOTAM; 12-03-2008 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 AM

8 posts, read 21,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
I didnt live in the Valley but lived in South Texas and my experience is EXACTLY the same as yours. I did one year hell tour there. Beware of any hate mail you will get. I have actually gotten threats of bodily harm from a man on here, because some people think that if you are negative about South Texas/RGV that you must be racist.
You are lucky you have been unscathed by a motor vehicle accident by one of those crazy drivers. I was hit by someone who had no drivers license or insurance, and had to pay the deductible out of my own pocket to repair my truck, and my deductible is high because i am a safe driver.
If I had not gotten out of South Texas after one year, I would have lost my soul and spirit. It sucked the life out of me. I was so geographically, culturally, socially isolated that I almost felt like I had lost my social skills, my personality, my identity, my joie de vivre.....I made ALOT of money, but there is no amount of money that could have kept me there, NO amount.
Oh, and to add, for the first time in my life, I was harrassed and stalked by a police officer, and had to give a deposition, as did my three other fellow "anglo" female coworkers. I saw my neighbors experience so much theft that they moved away as fast as they could. I felt very unsafe there. I couldn't believe that I was living in Texas, it wasnt the Texas I knew. (I had been in Georgia for 3 years and wanted to return back to my home, Texas, but was swayed by the lure of big money)
South Texas and the Valley are unlike any other part of Texas, and perhaps America. It is a region unto its own and thus is very hard for persons from outside the RGV to acclimate to and conversely it is very hard for persons from the RGV to leave. I say they can keep it for I am never going back. There is no way that I'm ever going back or staying, no matter how much money is thrown at me.

As to the automobile accidents, you are absolutely right: Your car will be hit in the RGV by an uninsured motorist. It's not a matter of if, but when. Morale of the story is if you plan on moving to the RGV bring a car that you don't mind getting dinged and dented.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:39 PM

100 posts, read 446,507 times
I'm from McAllen, don't live there anymore but always go back. If you have any questions. Send ME a message and we can exchange numbers. I'll give you the good and the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas