Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times

Advertisements

As a Texan, I myself dont know the answer to this, but would like to know. The reason I ask, is that I am only familiar with two parts of Texas....the North Central (Wichita Falls area) and DFW, both areas where I have spent the majority of my life, and also South Texas (where I have been since Oct). I do know that there are LOTS more down here, and bigger, and it freaks me out big time. Almost afraid to let my dogs out. In North Texas, I didnt see TOO many, though I did have to shoot a few every now and then, and bring my dogs to the vet for rattle snake bites.........
but come October of this year or next year, I am going to move somewhere in Texas (dont know where, but I do know it will DEFINITELY be somewhere NORTH or WEST of San Antonio, but no further north or east than Killeen, and anywhere in West Texas or Panhandle is definitely game....so basically i am going to live in the western or northern edge of Hill Country or West Texas or Panhandle, or possibly Killeen area which is last choice.
Snakes is a BIG issue with me. I am petrified of them but love spending time outdoors, love hunting, and love my dogs and spending time outdoors with my dogs.
Thanks for any info or at least leading me in the right direction.
And dont tell me about "good snakes", to me there is no such thing.
I am alone with no hubby or family..just me and my guns and dogs and have to defend myself, so this is a BIG issue with me.
Gosh I love Texas with all my heart and soul. If there were no snakes in this state, it would be 100 percent PARADISE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 02:38 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Wow, don't know what area has the fewest snakes....there really aren't very many in the city (Austin) but I know there are some in the more rural areas. I think you have picked a fairly low snake frequency area with your description of possible destinations. The coastal area and east Texas probably have the most. After that, it is kind of even, I suppose. Near central Texas, the cottonmouths are probably more common, but as you go west, I would think that gives way to rattlesnakes. I would guess that west Texas has fewer total snakes, but the ones they do have would be rattlers.

I could be wrong, I am just going off personal experience and some idea of habitats .

Old 02-27-2007, 09:40 AM

437 posts, read 2,238,370 times
bellestaroftexas, That is how I feel also. I was thinking about my dogs. How they just run out the door with no fear. Moving to Texas would mean that I would be on edge all the time.

I have changed my mind about East Texas and not only because of the snakes. I hear the weather is better near the Hill Country. Lots of people have talked about Kerrville being a good place to retire.

I have heard their are snakes there too. Depends on what part to buy in. We want 3 or 4 acres so that would mean out in the Country somewhere.

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question but maybe we will both get it here.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
Bound for Texas...on another forum i am active on, it seems like the Panhandle and West Texas would have the least....
I agree about staying away from East Texas-too swampy and humid and green and foresty..you would have more snakes. South Texas-just too tropical.
Hill Country and North Central Texas...happy mediums.
I am glad to hear from another dog lover. what kind of dogs do you have? what kind of work are you going to do, and where are you moving from?
Kerrville is a great choice. Blanco would be too!

Old 02-27-2007, 09:56 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Sigh....Texas has snakes...everywhere. They are part of the ecosystem. Most are non-venomous. Dogs have a better tolerance than humans, for the most part, to the venom. Our dogs were bitten twice by water moccasins when we were kids, and they were fine after an anti-inflammatory shot from the vet.

My folks live out in the hill country (very rural area), and have not seen a snake in years. They own dogs (4), which have never been bitten. Really, I would not chose where to live based on snakes, since you can live in a very urban area and see them (I saw a ~4 foot rat snake in northwest Austin once) or live in a rural area and never cross paths. It really isn't like they are running (slithering?) around in packs. They are very good at avoiding humans.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 18,375 times
Well there goes my excitement about moving to Fort Worth TX...I am out...no need to say more. Hate!!! Hate!! Hate snakes and love my dog way too much...this sucks

Old 05-05-2015, 09:19 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Snakes have existed in Texas since the beginning of time. People have kept dogs in Texas since the beginning of time. Ok I'm exaggerating, but you get the point. So where can a person live in the continental US without snakes?

Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
If you don't like snakes, just live in a relatively suburban/urban area not backing up on a creek and the biggest snakes you will see will be the size of a good fishing worm. It's not like snakes are cruising up and down the streets.

If you want to live out in the country, then learn to deal with wildlife.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:54 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielaC View Post
Well there goes my excitement about moving to Fort Worth TX...I am out...no need to say more. Hate!!! Hate!! Hate snakes and love my dog way too much...this sucks
No need to worry. Ft. Worth loses most of it's snakes when they're launched 50-100 miles away...when an F3 or F4 Tornado blows thru twice a month.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:03 PM

436 posts, read 570,273 times
In 45 years I have not seen a single poisonous snake within the Austin City Limits that was not either stuffed or in a zoo. Garden snakes I have in droves, venomous, never. I never saw any when I lived in Cedar park for 2 years, in Houston for a year, and for 3 years and miraculously I never saw a single one in Cherry Hollow. I saw about 1,000 scorpions in Cherry Hollow but thats a separate beast.

If you hate lethal snakes, stay in the cities and you will probably never see one, alive at least. Hunting in the areas around Temple I ran into 3 cotton mouths and 2 rattlers in one weekend, so they are out there. They just avoid the big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas