Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2020, 05:48 PM

6 posts, read 4,810 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving to Texas by the summer. I am highly allergic to mosquitos that leave huge welts on me and last for a week with horrible itching and sleepless nights. This is my main concern when moving. I have thought about Austin area, but have heard about mosquito problems, not sure if it’s true? Can anyone give me their insights on this. I want to be able to enjoy Texas and enjoy the outdoors comfortably. I would also like a home on some land 1 acre+ , Thank You!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 05:58 PM

1,185 posts, read 750,054 times
West TX. Or Colorado.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:52 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkristina View Post
Hello, I am moving to Texas by the summer. I am highly allergic to mosquitos that leave huge welts on me and last for a week with horrible itching and sleepless nights. This is my main concern when moving. I have thought about Austin area, but have heard about mosquito problems, not sure if it’s true? Can anyone give me their insights on this. I want to be able to enjoy Texas and enjoy the outdoors comfortably. I would also like a home on some land 1 acre+ , Thank You!
El Paso and the Trans-Pecos.I live in Midessa which is in West Texas and we get mosquitos so i think El Paso or a small town where you get your acre in the Trans-Pecos would be your best bet.All the other big cities in Texas have mosquitos because there in the humid part of the state.I think the desert is your best choice.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:32 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,408,864 times
Anywhere at 1000 Ft. AGL or more over Texas.

Old 01-18-2020, 06:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Or you could spray for mosquitoes and live anywhere in Texas.

I don't remember the last time I was bitten by a mosquito and I've lived in NE Texas for nearly 30 years. But we spray our yard once a month or so from about April through October.

Why are you moving to Texas? I'm curious because Texas is really,really big and offers a lot of variations in terrain and weather.

Old 01-18-2020, 06:56 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,456,695 times
West Texas and the Panhandle.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:08 AM

68 posts, read 44,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkristina View Post
If you believe these symptoms makes you "highly allergic" to mosquito bites, you'd be mistaken. Those symptoms are what nearly anyone experiences from their bites. A true allergic reaction to them would include:

large area of itching
lesions
bruises near the site of the bite
lymphangitis, or inflammation of the lymph system
hives at or around the bite
anaphylaxis, a rare, life-threatening condition that results in swelling in the throat and wheezing; it requires immediate medical attention

Just keepin' it real here. Carry on.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:21 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,433 times
Mosquitoes looooove me. If my wife and I are standing side by side I'll get 100 bites and she won't even be noticed. GRRRR!

I've visited just about every area in TX and can confirm, the mozzies are everywhere.

Spray something on if you go outside. Keep your windows closed and the AC on in warm weather and at night and you will be fine.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:32 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
I've never had a problem with mosquitos in Austin, unless there was some water standing, and that rarely happens on this property. I don't remember the last time a mosquito got in the trailer or the last time I got bit by a mosquito, but it's been years. I have had more problems with wasps building their nests on the front porch and in the shed out back than mosquitos -- or flies - anywhere on the property.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:50 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,195,268 times
I am allergic to mosquitos, i spray it does no good. I get hives, the area around the bite swells, i go outside during the day hours, and stay inside when its dusk. I do okay most of the time. I try to make sure we have no standing water anywhere. Wear long sleeve clothes if you have to be out in the evening. I live near Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas