Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 04:24 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,560 times

Advertisements

We love to live outdoors in summer but mosquitos love me. We've been so fortunate in NC the last few years to have very few of them.

We were at Wild Dunes last Oct and the gnats (no see-ums) and mosquitos were so irritating that I asked the mgmt office "don't they spray for them?". The next day I saw a big sign at the entrance stating they would be spraying. But either they didn't... or they didn't die.

I have 5 bottles of OFF.. and ALL were purchased while on vacation down there. I kept forgetting to pack them.

Are there certain areas that have *less* problems with these things?? I don't seem to recall having any problems with them while we were in downtown Charleston.

Is there any rhyme or reason to this other than the vegatation on Wild Dunes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 05:33 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
They can be bad everywhere in the Low Country. Just something that most people deal with I guess...I think in Charleston, they spray, I don't think they do around parts of Mt P though.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:12 PM
c99

237 posts, read 1,042,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
We love to live outdoors in summer but mosquitos love me. We've been so fortunate in NC the last few years to have very few of them.

We were at Wild Dunes last Oct and the gnats (no see-ums) and mosquitos were so irritating that I asked the mgmt office "don't they spray for them?". The next day I saw a big sign at the entrance stating they would be spraying. But either they didn't... or they didn't die.

I have 5 bottles of OFF.. and ALL were purchased while on vacation down there. I kept forgetting to pack them.

Are there certain areas that have *less* problems with these things?? I don't seem to recall having any problems with them while we were in downtown Charleston.

Is there any rhyme or reason to this other than the vegatation on Wild Dunes?
I know what you mean. Mosquitoes love me, too. Unfortunately, they're rampant down here. I have found that they are especially bad near marshy areas or standing water. I've never the draw to homes on 'ponds.' I've always looked at them as big mosquito magnets. Either that or big chemical cesspools if the neighborhood or city sprays for mosquitoes.

Also, mosquitoes are especially vigorous after it rains - and it rains a lot during hurricane season. So, not only do you have lots of biting bugs, you have hot and humid conditions as well. I find the best place for me in the summer is indoors in AC or on a screen-in porch; I don't care for the hard to pronounce ingredients of most mosquito repellents.

Now the mosquitoes don't bother my husband nearly as much as they bother me. I love gardening/landscaping, but it is absolutely miserable for me before a certain hour in the morning and after a certain hour in the evening. (I don't remember what that certain hour is, but it won't take long for me to re-learn it this season.)

Best wishes.
c99

Old 02-12-2009, 06:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,090 times
If you are going to enjoy the outdoors invest in a thermocell mosquito repellant or five....

They are the best thing ever invented...

Old 02-12-2009, 08:21 PM

379 posts, read 1,418,504 times
I live in the woods and have dealt with mosquitos that make you run in the house...two summers ago I bought "cutter" yard spray that attaches to your garden hose like Miracle Grow and I was surprised at how well it worked...It really kept the bugs at bay for 4 weeks at a time.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,314 times
There are certain times of the year they(the bugs) are bad. I can tell you they spray on IOP and Mount Pleasant. I know for a fact that..but I don't know about other areas.
Also, if it has been raining a lot it is bad. I hate the love bugs the most. They don't bite but they are so annoying.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 AM

They make for a really technicolor splash on the winshield that is for sure....

Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 AM

638 posts, read 1,594,560 times
Thanks for these ideas. I didn't know Cutter made a yard spray. And I'd never heard of the thermacell.

While down there, I got eaten up the worst at the IOP Marina. I've never been bothered at the ocean, but who can afford to live on the ocean?! I don't think I'd want to be on a pond or in a marsh area either because of them. I certainly understand the need for screened porches down there.

The thermacell thing Ole Tom Cat mentioned sounds like a great easy solution! If you can just hook it on your belt like a cell phone, and turn it off and on as needed, then the protection is right there when you need it.

What I've never understood is why mosquitos tend to like one person over another. They never go after my husband. (I tell him it's because he's not sweet like me..

Old 02-13-2009, 12:37 PM

It is a favorite thing of hunters, it is odorless. It uses a small gas cylinder to heat the repellant element, I am not sure how portable it is though?

Old 02-13-2009, 01:15 PM

486 posts, read 996,542 times
Do the gnats get through the screens or is it safe in those outdoor screened in rooms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area