Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you reported a litterer via Don't Mess With Texas?
Yes 2 8.33%
No 13 54.17%
Didn't know there was a program 9 37.50%
I littered and was a recipient of the program 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,485 times

Advertisements

Not to rob the thread, but I don't believe we will have any storms to spot next spring. The long term climatologists are starting to report that this trend will continue until next fall, when they predict a La Nina.

All I know in the 30 some years I've been hear this weather pattern is can best be described as a drought/floood/drought/flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Not to rob the thread, but I don't believe we will have any storms to spot next spring. The long term climatologists are starting to report that this trend will continue until next fall, when they predict a La Nina.

All I know in the 30 some years I've been hear this weather pattern is can best be described as a drought/floood/drought/flood.
Yep, I heard a weatherman describing it that way some years back, followed with, "in other words, typical Central Texas weather". Seemed about right.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:32 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,558,437 times
I have noticed that trash is definitely a problem, but it's become a bigger problem everywhere. Mostly young people and kids these days. Not long ago, I saw a kid tossing a drink can on the sidewalk after he'd gotten finished. He wouldn't even look for a trash can!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:43 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
It's gotta be more of a public service education than it is, you know, like have anti-litter days in school, post notices on school and company bulletin boards and on billboards, etc., besides the occasional ad on tv. You have to reinforce it into people's brains.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:00 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
car957 & TexasHorseLady: Maybe there won't be any storms to spot in Central Texas, but I am quite sure that North Central Texas will have several. I cannot recall a spring season when we didn't.

A lot of people seem to think (assuming they do think) that the anti-littering laws don't apply to them. Everyone knows that it is illegal, but they do it anyway. It is analogous to being able to pass a driving test and then disregarding it all afterward.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:54 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
car957 & TexasHorseLady: Maybe there won't be any storms to spot in Central Texas, but I am quite sure that North Central Texas will have several. I cannot recall a spring season when we didn't.

A lot of people seem to think (assuming they do think) that the anti-littering laws don't apply to them. Everyone knows that it is illegal, but they do it anyway. It is analogous to being able to pass a driving test and then disregarding it all afterward.
I'm sure Central Texas will get it's share of storms as we always do. By the way, thanks a million for being a storm spotter. I know this can be very dangerous, but you're helping so much to keep others safe. Now they just have to THINK and heed the warnings rather than being smug about something as dangerous as Texas storms.

It doesn't take one to think to not litter any more than breaking other laws like speeding or drinking and driving. A law is a law, a rule is a rule, and I'm a stickler for both. Hey, that's when they really think like saying things such as, "Rules are made to be broken." I've heard that time and time again. With littering, I believe many are just plain lazy. I don't get it and never have.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 12-31-2008 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
There seems to be a lot of trashy people around these days, just too lazy or plain sorry to wait until they get home and take their trash inside to dispose of it properly. As far as cigarettes, it can be a dangerous situation to throw a butt that's still burning out the window. Every summer there are grass fires started from someone doing just this.

Now onward to a real pet peeve of mine, people throwing their unwanted pets out of their cars/trucks, dumping them in out of the way places and on the less traveled county roads. Early one morning as I was on my way to work I came around a bend on my county road and there was a car that had stopped and a kid in the back seat opened the car door and threw a little dog out and then the car sped off! The poor little dog started chasing it as fast as he could down the road and I could see the kid looking out the rear window at him. Just sickening! I got in close enough behind them to get their license tag number and when I got to work I called the sheriff's department. They took the information and said they'd contact the people and talk to them, but there wasn't really anything they could do, that there wasn't a law against leaving animals on the roadside. Can you believe it? I couldn't and told the officer so, but he stuck to his story! What a**holes, the whole lot of them!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:46 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
There seems to be a lot of trashy people around these days, just too lazy or plain sorry to wait until they get home and take their trash inside to dispose of it properly. As far as cigarettes, it can be a dangerous situation to throw a butt that's still burning out the window. Every summer there are grass fires started from someone doing just this.

Now onward to a real pet peeve of mine, people throwing their unwanted pets out of their cars/trucks, dumping them in out of the way places and on the less traveled county roads. Early one morning as I was on my way to work I came around a bend on my county road and there was a car that had stopped and a kid in the back seat opened the car door and threw a little dog out and then the car sped off! The poor little dog started chasing it as fast as he could down the road and I could see the kid looking out the rear window at him. Just sickening! I got in close enough behind them to get their license tag number and when I got to work I called the sheriff's department. They took the information and said they'd contact the people and talk to them, but there wasn't really anything they could do, that there wasn't a law against leaving animals on the roadside. Can you believe it? I couldn't and told the officer so, but he stuck to his story! What a**holes, the whole lot of them!
Oh Lord, lonestar2007. I can't take the abuse and neglect of animals around these parts. It breaks my heart more than you'll know. There needs to be a law (actually, I thought there was), but maybe not. You did the right thing by calling the sheriff. It's just too bad he was a jerk as well, but they're everywhere. I'd fight to the end to protect my sweet dogs.

How can an adult teach this to a child? I'm about in tears thinking about this. That poor little dog not having a clue why he was abandoned. I hope some caring soul took him in and he's a happy little pup now. God bless the little one and all those in the same situation because of sickening humans. It's totally unacceptable and they should be punished severely.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:09 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
lonestar2007: That is absolutely appalling. If there isn't a law against dumping animals. there certainly should be. I feel terrible for the poor little dog, seeing his erstwhile owners leaving him to a probably miserable fate. And yes, it's a great lesson for the kid. I hope the apple falls far from the tree in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas