Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:19 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a list of, or particular Texas High Schools or ISDs without Football?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 11:25 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Krum, up near Denton. Last I heard, they only play basketball.

MANY small private schools do not have a football team.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:46 AM

808 posts, read 3,648,399 times
Port Aransas High School does not play football.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:04 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
A high school here in TX without football is a like a bar without alcohol.

In other words, I'm sure a couple exist but who would ever want to go there?

Old 04-04-2009, 05:25 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
A.J. Moore in Waco,Tx has NO sports.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:52 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

In other words, I'm sure a couple exist but who would ever want to go there?

Well, that is a fair question -- maybe us.

But of course, that may vary by various folks depending on what they think school is for.

Ran through my mind this morning driving through Cedar Hill (Texas, of course). I look up and see their "bragging rights," on the side of their water tower -- Some sort of State Football Champs in 2006, yada, yada, yada. That kind of stuff always reminds me of Al Bundy -- yunno the mythic Polk High days from Married With Children ( Al Bundy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). And wondered how Cedar Hill does in the Academics end of things?

I started noticing this when Heather's (aka Mrs. Philip T) Hillbilly Hometown in East Texas was winning some sort of State Champion Status in Football a couple of years ago, as well. The next year their local Elementary was deemed Academically Unacceptable. You REALLY have to have a messed up operation when they cannot teach 3rd Graders to read.

So I come back today and look up Cedar Hill ISD -- yep, in the bottom half of Texas School Districts. Not dogging them for that -- somebody has to be the dummies, but I am seeing a connection here maybe?

And once you factor in that the US is pretty low educationally by Industrial Nations standards, and then Texas is in the Bottom Half of the US, and these Football First! Schools look like they may trend towards the bottom half of Texas . . . we are talking about getting down to Dumpster Diving and licking the bottom of the Dumpster educationally with a Football First! School.

Point of that being, I was wondering if the Corollary were true -- Do High Schools without Football trend towards the Upper End?

Old 04-04-2009, 06:14 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
A.J. Moore in Waco,Tx has NO sports.
You mean they truly focus on academics?

Old 04-04-2009, 06:25 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
^^^ Many times, schools that focus on athletics tend to not score as well, but other times, schools that excel at football excel at everything else as well (the school districts in the Dallas and Houston suburbs are like this). It mostly just depends on how much money the school districts have and where they put it. Football has a sacred cow status in Texas schools because it is a part of the culture.

In Lubbock, there are three high schools that have three different situations concerning football that reflect your observation. There is Monterey, which has a pretty good football program, but its academics are suspect. There is Lubbock High, which has the longest football playoff drought it 5A Texas history, but it has one of the best magnet programs in the state and its Academic Decathlon team places top 10 in the state every year. (It even won third place in the nation recently.) There is Coronado, which has a good football program, but not as good as Monterey, and good academics, but not as good as Lubbock High.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
How a school does has more to do with the motivation of the parents and the children really than any sports program. Even the competition level at the school can make a difference to how students do. If the schools have disruptive kids from bad homes that can setoff a culture of low achievement.That is why parents often pick where they live by how good the school are first.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:02 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
You mean they truly focus on academics?
Don't you live in Waco?O_o and they want people to think that. Remember A.J. Moore has the different acadamies like Academy of Information Technology, Finance, Engineering, Enviromental Technology,etc. It's a step up from the rest of the schools in WISD. I've heard they recently got a swim team. I graduated in 08, so not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas