Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
reread the first amendment. no mention of separation of church and state there. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
So you'd prefer a theocracy? There are quite a few in the middle east I can recommend for you.

So you want the tightest possible interpretation of separation of church and state? Ok, let's interpret all of the amendments that way and limit gun ownership to citizens who are a member of a militia.

The statement "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" has widely been interpreted by the courts to mean that government should stay out of religion. I wish it was worded stronger, but the legal precedents for separation are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:56 PM

629 posts, read 1,654,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The statement "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" has widely been interpreted by the courts to mean that government should stay out of religion. I wish it was worded stronger, but the legal precedents for separation are there.
Keep in mind that legal precedents which have any hint of liberalism are defined as "judicial activism." And we wouldn't want that, now would we?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,807,164 times
Example No. 1 of how liberals attack their opponents rather than respond rationally to a debate. I simply pointed out that the first amendment does NOT say ANYTHING about "separation of church and state". So what does the liberal typically do? He attacks me as being an advocate of theocracy, and tells me I should go to the middle east to be among my fellow theocrats.

This should show you independents, moderates, and open minded liberals, that liberals cannot win debates based on their ideas, they can only win by attacking their opponents.

Quote:
So you'd prefer a theocracy? There are quite a few in the middle east I can recommend for you.

So you want the tightest possible interpretation of separation of church and state? Ok, let's interpret all of the amendments that way and limit gun ownership to citizens who are a member of a militia.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:48 AM

629 posts, read 1,654,197 times
Quote:
This should show you independents, moderates, and open minded liberals, that liberals cannot win debates based on their ideas, they can only win by attacking their opponents.
And this statement is being made by an open minded conservative, I presume?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
If you came to the table with some ideas, I'd consider them. But you have just blindly towed the arch-right-wing-conservative-radio-talk-show line as if a parrot without offering any actual ideas.

I cannot call the imaginary facts, lies, and distortions used to manipulate middle income and poor people into voting against their own interests actual 'ideas'. everyone's really concerned about the taxes going up-- even though only a handful of them will ever be in an income bracket where they see the tax hike. Spend time worrying about gay marriage (as if it really threatens traditional (or "opposite" (Thank you Miss California) marriage) while your kids go fight and die a sensless optional war.

Call Obama a socialst, but have no idea what the word means.

Wake up.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:33 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,807,164 times
It is a non-imaginery fact that the 1st amendment does not mention "separation of church and state". I guess in your book its a "fact" only if the Daily Kos says so. How sad.

Quote:
If you came to the table with some ideas, I'd consider them. But you have just blindly towed the arch-right-wing-conservative-radio-talk-show line as if a parrot without offering any actual ideas.

I cannot call the imaginary facts, lies, and distortions used to manipulate middle income and poor people into voting against their own interests actual 'ideas'. everyone's really concerned about the taxes going up-- even though only a handful of them will ever be in an income bracket where they see the tax hike. Spend time worrying about gay marriage (as if it really threatens traditional (or "opposite" (Thank you Miss California) marriage) while your kids go fight and die a sensless optional war.

Call Obama a socialst, but have no idea what the word means.

Wake up.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
It is a non-imaginery fact that the 1st amendment does not mention "separation of church and state". I guess in your book its a "fact" only if the Daily Kos says so. How sad.
Again, if your preference is a theocracy, I'd suggest you go live in one. However, it seems your preference is to be in the religious majority and attempt to marginalize the religious minority while pretending to be vicitimized yourself.

BTW, I don't read any online political rags. But, I'm sure you'll attack again. Seems the only move in your play book.

I'm done with you.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
"[E]stablishment of religion" means making a religion part of the Establishment; in other words, mixing religion and governemnt. The government is supposed to practice a hands-off posture in relation to it, neither promoting it nor working against it. If only it could, since most religions are thoroughly antidemocratic and absolutist, and their adherents tend to be likewise.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:49 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times
Quote:
Again, if your preference is a theocracy, I'd suggest you go live in one. However, it seems your preference is to be in the religious majority and attempt to marginalize the religious minority while pretending to be vicitimized yourself.

BTW, I don't read any online political rags. But, I'm sure you'll attack again. Seems the only move in your play book.

I'm done with you.
I don't blame you for being "done with (him)" Not the least of reasons that he turned your own table around and you can't do the same...save lash out in frustation.

Backtracking, just who attacked who, orignally? Your ilk's MO is to label anyone who disagrees with you as right-wing nuts...homophobic, racist, sexist, etc, etc, (fill in the blank ad nauseum). As to this particular case? They must be religious fanatics who want a theocracy along the lines of what exists in the Middle East...!

So just who is attacking who as per sheer vicious and unfounded accusations and self-assumed summizes...?

Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,848 times
Curious statement from Perry.

Gov. Perry Says Politics & Religion Often Mix (http://cbs11tv.com/politics/Politics.Religion.Mix.2.1112574.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas