Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 AM

35 posts, read 95,332 times

Advertisements

I tried a thread with just Waelder with no responses so I figured I'd try some towns within close proximity. Again can anyone shed some light on Waelder?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 02:46 PM

136 posts, read 448,942 times
Default Waelder

Drove through Waelder on Sat., June 28 on Route 1115. It is a very small, older town. I notice numerous Craftsman style small house, plus a couple of Victorian styled houses. There is a Purina plant on 1115 at Rt. 90. Here is a link for additional information:

The City of Waelder, Texas

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:22 PM

35 posts, read 95,332 times
Thanks for the info. I've been to all the websites I could find. Basically interested in first hand knowledge. Thanks again

Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonini View Post
I tried a thread with just Waelder with no responses so I figured I'd try some towns within close proximity. Again can anyone shed some light on Waelder?
Thanks
Flatonia is a cute town with a great festival (Chilispiel) in Oct.

Waelder is a one stop sign (dumpy) town with the plant mentioned above & a neat little grocery store/bbq place with a pit in the back.

Gonzales & Schulenberg (& Halletsville & La Grange) are also cute nearby towns that are also county seats.... so they have restaurants, schools & other things going for them.

I've traveled through the area often & love the rolling hills & also the friendly people (many 4 & 5th generation Czechs, Germans & Mexican Americans).... so in each town there will likely be a great link/BBQ joint & a nice little Tex/Mex joint.

Good luck.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM

556 posts, read 1,562,789 times
Used to live near Waelder.....it is pretty much a roll-through town on the way to somewhere else. But your somewhere else may be different than my somewhere else.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Waelder was really the pits when I was growing up in that area years ago--farming community--no central downtown for the most part--don't think it had a stop light just a blinking light for YEARS--poor community
now that New Braunfels and San Marcos are seeing growth and construction for people to work there or live there and drive into SA or Austin I think Waelder is getting some spin from that
last time we went through there a year or so ago there was still not a lot of growth but I think people are buying 2-3-5 acre tracts and putting in mobile homes or site built
Waelder does have acerage with river property which is desireable so you might have some people buying/building weekend type homes...

Old 11-03-2008, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,331 times
Thumbs up Best BBQ

The best BBQ is in the back of the little store...The best links ever...The grease alone..hmmm...Home of J & B Sausage....

My parents, Lucia Villaloboz Velasquez & Robert Velasquez were born there and my husband's mother, Asisla Rincon was born there...Small world...Love going to visit there...so quiet....but if you blink while passing by you will miss it...

Old 11-04-2008, 10:53 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmengarcia View Post
The best BBQ is in the back of the little store...The best links ever...The grease alone..hmmm...Home of J & B Sausage....

My parents, Lucia Villaloboz Velasquez & Robert Velasquez were born there and my husband's mother, Asisla Rincon was born there...Small world...Love going to visit there...so quiet....but if you blink while passing by you will miss it...
Welcome aboard carmengarcia.

I'll have to stop by the little store again (& walk thru the doors in the back into the pit room) & try the links & beef. It's been years since I've tried it.

When driving thru that stretch, I normally stop in Luling for BBQ, but you've got me convinced i need to make another stop in Waelder.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 9,605 times
Waelder is a one stop sign (dumpy) town with the plant mentioned above & a neat little grocery store/bbq place with a pit in the back.

--I don't understand why you give props to all of these other small towns and not Waelder. Many people judge the town from the outside (like yourself), but in times of need we are one big family. Our small diverse community is what makes this town. And if I do say so myself the best damn sausage around!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesleann View Post

--I don't understand why you give props to all of these other small towns and not Waelder. Many people judge the town from the outside (like yourself), but in times of need we are one big family. Our small diverse community is what makes this town. And if I do say so myself the best damn sausage around!
You know, I drove through Waelder on the way back from San Marcos after the Ike evac...I thought it was a nifty little place. Didn't know the plant in town that I saw workers around was a Purina plant, though. One of these days, I will have an off-the-beaten-path I-10 getaway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas