Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:16 PM

58 posts, read 232,764 times

Advertisements

Wow! Thanks for checking in on "my" place for me!!!!! I'm kind of at a crossroads. I love the place, but not sure about the town. Would really like something more western/cowboy/ride your horse up to the local saloon type of place! But I haven't written it off yet. Still researching. But dang if I'm not ready to hire you as our personal tour guide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
To the OP:

In case you're interested in such things, here's a website which tells a little about it and there is a museum in Plano, which includes a restored motor car.

Texas Electric Railway
PS - love this link, by the way. What a great tidbit of history

Old 08-04-2009, 07:08 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lallen2004 View Post
Wow! Thanks for checking in on "my" place for me!!!!! I'm kind of at a crossroads. I love the place, but not sure about the town. Would really like something more western/cowboy/ride your horse up to the local saloon type of place! But I haven't written it off yet. Still researching. But dang if I'm not ready to hire you as our personal tour guide!

If that's what you're looking for, search around for suitable places in Jacksboro or Graham. Lllano might be a good fit for you too. So might Weatherford or Stephenville.

You have to understand that Texas was, and still is, basically divided into cow country and farming country. There's a natural feature called the Balcones Escarpment, which runs parallel to I-35, from the Red River, where Denison is, to west of San Antonio. It's not all technically the escarpment, but by whatever name, it separates the state into two very different cultures.

The Old West, as most people imagine it, was almost exclusively found west of the escarpment. Once the pioneers crossed it, they were in Comanche country, which hindered settlement into the 1870's. It was a land of Indians and guns, Texas Rangers and renegades, wagon trains and isolated ranch houses, clinging to life by a hang nail. Nobody went out into the Comancheria to farm. The eastern parts of the state, however, were settled by farmers early in the history of Texas and a more settled and "civilized" society grew up there. Yes, they did their share of Indian fighting too, but by the 1850's, that was about over.

All the major cities, with the exception of El Paso, are east of that feature. The other, larger cities in West Texas, such as Midland/Odessa, Lubbock, Amarillo and Wichita Falls, didn't come into existance until after the period of the Old West was either dead or dying. The High Plains and Panhandle weren't even settled until the early 20th century. The Permian Basin didn't have anyone in it until oil was discovered there.

Yes, there are cowboys and ranches there now (and extensive agriculture on the High Plains), but it never was real Old West country, except for trappers and buffalo hunters.

The Texas Old West you're looking for can still be found west of I-35 (Including Ft. Worth) as far as the edge of the Llano Estacado (High Plains) and southward to the Rio Grande.

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,962 times
Quote:
Something like Bandera in the Hill Country might be more in line with what you're looking for, although it is much further south - Bandera, Texas Convention and Visitors Bureau ( Home )

Hico - Hico, Texas | Hill Country Weekend Getaway | Unique Shopping | B&Bs - is another area that is cultivating a tourist trade and is a little more "western". It's quite a bit closer to DFW than Bandera.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:16 AM

We have checked out many of the towns you've mentioned, including Bandera and Stephenville, both of which I fell in love with! Since we're looking to purchase an established B&B and/or wedding biz, though, our options are limited. We are exploring one in Wimberley and another in San Marcos which we undertsand are both in beautiful Hill Country.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
We have checked out many of the towns you've mentioned, including Bandera and Stephenville, both of which I fell in love with! Since we're looking to purchase an established B&B and/or wedding biz, though, our options are limited. We are exploring one in Wimberley and another in San Marcos which we undertsand are both in beautiful Hill Country.

San Marcos might not be a bad idea. It's not technically in the Hill Country, but sits right at the edge of. It's rapidly becoming a bedroom community for Austin, but has it's own attractions too, as well as a pretty large college. With people coming to visit their kids in school, plus vacationers looking for a base of operations for exploring the Hill Country, San Marcos would offer a better, more laid back and small-town feel that Austin or San Antonio.

New Braunfels, just down the road, wouldn't be a bad place to look either. It has Schilitterbahn, one of the nations premier water parks as a draw.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
And Gruene Hall Official Home Page !

Old 08-05-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

Yeah! Gotta see Gruene Hall!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:21 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
If you google Wimberly loding/tourism you'll find lots of B&B's......they all seem to stay busy...that's a destination place for weddings, girls getaways, etc. Beautiful area, very central to the state and different from anything else in the state.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
If you google Wimberly loding/tourism you'll find lots of B&B's......they all seem to stay busy...that's a destination place for weddings, girls getaways, etc. Beautiful area, very central to the state and different from anything else in the state.
I'm getting some great feedback about Wimberley. Now if I could just move the property I fell in love with in Denison to the Wimberley area, I'd be golden!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas