Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:33 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times

Advertisements

National SAT scores rise, but Texas near bottom

"Compared with California, which has similar demographics, Texas students did not fare well, trailing California students by 19 points in math and 6 points in verbal skills"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 12:50 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I don't think I ever said it applied to everyone. I said it's more prevalent then I'm comfortable with...lots of words have been put in my mouth here.

And this discussion has gotten way more personal than is neccessary. It's a bit out of control and strange.
It is not strange at all.

When someone comes along and disparages Texas and Texas education, all you have to do is look at their posts.

You claim to be very educated and above your co-workers and Texans in general.

Yet, when one looks at the posts YOU have composed.....and they are full of grammatical (not GRAMMER, as you wrote earlier) errors and rife with misspellings, the irony is definitely there.

It really sticks out like a sore thumb in your case!

Clean up your own act before you start putting down the Texas education system. I'm a product of that system....and have a respect for higher education, just as many, many other Texans do.

I don't know why you thought you could come along with what you said...and not expect anyone to call you on it.

And now I go back to the original topic. Why does anyone CARE how California schools stack up against Texas schools at any level.....or vice versa?

Not I.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 08-23-2009 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 08-23-2009, 12:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
They should dislike Texas. The best Texas colleges don't have a sports culture. Now that is rare isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You don't think limo libs and the so called liberal elite dislike Texas more than VA, NC and GA? A lot of them would rather we disappeared into the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:58 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Exactly! Them academic folk need to keep their priorities straight. Gooo football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
Yeah, well at least them Longhorns have a shot at a national title this year. That's what really matters

Gotta keep those priorities straight!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:48 PM

I am educated, indeed. I have not claimed to be above anyone. Let's stick to the topic. I simply pointed out my experience and education on the topic -- compared to a 19 year old with no expereince, who has never lived in another state. This is a message board and people deserve to know if they are reading messages from people who have experience or people who simply have blind pride in their state.

As for my spelling and GRAMMAR. Is this the second grade? The spelling and grammar police tend to come out in full force when they don't have any legitamate points to make.

If I had some kind of point to make about how incredibly smart I am compared to all of you foolish Texans I would probably spend some time proof-reading to make sure I am just oh so perfect, but instead I'm just typing quickly and trying to discuss a topic no one wants to really address.

I really don't care to be better than anyone. Which is why its so funny to me you are so defensive. I mentioned my educational background (as mentioned already, several times) because it was relevant to the discussion. Not becuase I have a superiority complex. And I certainly don't go around announcing it.

so back to the topic -- Cathy doesn't care about it -- but is here anyway, obviously to pick on me. Because to her this topic is not important. What is important is picking on RGB and picking on her spelling and grammar because RGB dared to state that she had a Master's degree.

I'm no longer going to engange in such personal attacks. If anyone cares to discuss the topic though, that would be interesting....

Last edited by rgb123; 08-23-2009 at 01:59 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 03:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I am educated, indeed. I have not claimed to be above anyone. Let's stick to the topic. I simply pointed out my experience and education on the topic -- compared to a 19 year old with no expereince, who has never lived in another state. This is a message board and people deserve to know if they are reading messages from people who have experience or people who simply have blind pride in their state.

As for my spelling and GRAMMAR. Is this the second grade? The spelling and grammar police tend to come out in full force when they don't have any legitamate points to make.

If I had some kind of point to make about how incredibly smart I am compared to all of you foolish Texans I would probably spend some time proof-reading to make sure I am just oh so perfect, but instead I'm just typing quickly and trying to discuss a topic no one wants to really address.

I really don't care to be better than anyone. Which is why its so funny to me you are so defensive. I mentioned my educational background (as mentioned already, several times) because it was relevant to the discussion. Not becuase I have a superiority complex. And I certainly don't go around announcing it.

so back to the topic -- Cathy doesn't care about it -- but is here anyway, obviously to pick on me. Because to her this topic is not important. What is important is picking on RGB and picking on her spelling and grammar because RGB dared to state that she had a Master's degree.

I'm no longer going to engange in such personal attacks. If anyone cares to discuss the topic though, that would be interesting....
RGB painted Texas and Texans with a pretty broad brush:

The general attitude that education post high school is a waste of money, a waste of time, and you don't really learn anything there anyway.

And....

Im only repeating the attitudes I have heard on numerous occasions about how worthless master's degrees are, and that bachelor's degrees are not important. It is considered a "piece of paper" in order to get a job, but not really important.

There ARE those people who believe this, and there are those people who are apathetic and simply don't care.

But you imply that what you state as a "general attitude" is widespread, and the majority of Texans feel this way. That is simply not true, even though you may think that you are surrounded by masses of people who actually do think that way.

And yes, I have a legitimate point to make--education is important to Texans and Texas in general....even to all "you foolish Texans."

So, get back on your high horse and mosey along.....we aren't going to agree on this, and you won't understand what I originally said anyway. And.....you call me defensive. Look in the mirror.

How Texas schools rank against California schools does not interest me in the least. The OP was bothered by it; I'm certainly not!

Texas is relatively solvent compared to busted California....go figure!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 08-23-2009 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 03:53 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
I was schooled in California and it matters to me when people make grammatical errors especially if they're mentioning a crummy educational system in another state. It really doesn't matter from where one comes. One either knows his or her grammar or he or she does not. All the college in the world may not help because if one hasn't grasped it early in life, it's pretty much a given one never will. I know I'm not perfect, but I surely try to write and speak properly.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:23 PM

I'm sorry you all can't stop focusing on me, instead of the topic. I could defend my spelling and grammar all day long but that has nothing at all to do with the topic. I'm sorry if I ruffled a few feathers (which is QUITE obvious). But the facts remain. California has better unviersities. No amount of insulting me, making stuff up, or Texas pride is going to change that fact.

You can needle me all you want to. Doesn't change anything.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:24 PM

80 posts, read 108,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I've lived in Texas all my life, and while I can certainly fill a book with things I don't like about it, looking down on education is not one of them.

I've never encountered that attitude anywhere. I've encountered people who question whether or not the expense is worth it these days, but never anyone who didn't see some sort of intrinsic value in education.
Lots of laughs, the expense of education may not be worth it. Trust me; the expense of an uneducated populous is a lot more expensive than providing a decent public school system for the public. I understand that is the attitude in Texas. I live in Texas, but I never understand why they don't get the importance of education.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:20 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Cost versus benefit. Is the money you pay for the degree going to pan out in job prospects or in salary benefit.

It used to be accepted as a given that it was. These days, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas