Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

I am really failing to see the point and validity of this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
IIRC, ~40% of Harvard's Class of '09 was unemployed at graduation...a testimonial to the irrelevance of a lib arts degree, even from a prestigious college, in a challenging economy
This doesn't ring true. And Harvard offers loads of pre-professional degrees and more career focused degrees. Computer science, pre law, pre med, along with divinity and public health are all offered. Liberal arts degrees teach people to analyze, think and be critical. (I know Texans don't value critical thinking if our schools are any inidication...)

Quote:
Smartest kids from Harvard or Wharton flee upon graduation to NYC or SiliconValley
Flee...? Are you just making this up? Who's tracking the "smartest" kids from Harvard.. How do we know who they are... Weird, baseless commentary.

Quote:
U-IL is one of world's top 3-4 engineering schools for Computer Science, yet nearly all its top grads are in Silicon Valley, not in Chicago or in Midwest
How do you know where the 'top' grads are.. again, Are you making this up or do you have some source... But the way it's called SILICON Valley. Have you considered that that's where there are an abundance of technical jobs...

Quote:
Smart, ambitious, entrepreneurial kids figure this stuff out on own, even while at mediocre public suburban elementary/middle schools; at middle-income family dinner tables (learning from parents' career mistakes/successes); and migrate to most relevant college opportunities, despite lame high schools...after all, any hungry kid can self-teach much via self-created "curriculum" in a Net/Kindle world
So that's where we're going... Smart kids will learn it anyway so screw everyone else? Just give a kid a Kindle... Saves you a bunch in taxes! I think we owe are kids much better than that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 12:43 PM

288 posts, read 919,511 times
I agree w/ the OP. Texas really needs to invest more in providing more and better educational opportunities, especially in science and engineering.

I am a UT alum who moved to California for work in the biotech field. I would have preferred staying in TX, but CA has many more opportunities in this industry than TX. The public universities in CA are excellent, and there are ample opportunities for students to gain work experience with local sci/tech companies via internships (maybe not so many now due to the recession). That California has so many innovative companies (e.g. Google, Yahoo, Genentech) shows that investing in higher education pays off from an economics standpoint.

TX already has a thriving economy, but to keep it growing and competitive with other global economic powerhouses, it must invest in the science and engineering disciplines. However, money alone is insufficient; IMHO this will require a [cultural] shift in priorities since I feel that most Texans don't value education enough.

Just my 2 cents

Old 08-21-2009, 01:57 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
We also have to remember who does the rankings. Liberals. Do you think a bunch of liberals are ever going to rank schools in backwards, steer screwing, gun-totin' Texas better than schools in California? And for all of you that don't know me, I'm a liberal myself.

I don't think that is quite accurate, given that VA, NC, and GA are all represented in the top 10.

Glad to see UNC-CH on there. Considering going back to school there.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Dont' matter. As long as you have a degree, the world is yours.

Not really.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:08 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I don't think that is quite accurate, given that VA, NC, and GA are all represented in the top 10.

Glad to see UNC-CH on there. Considering going back to school there.
You don't think limo libs and the so called liberal elite dislike Texas more than VA, NC and GA? A lot of them would rather we disappeared into the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:15 PM

I really don't think they care as much as many Texans want to believe they do.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:19 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
So it's not that Texas schools are inferior-- it's that theres a liberal conspiracy to to make the schools SEEM inferior to satisfy the whims of "Limousine" liberals?

Are you at all aware how ridiculous you sound?

Old 08-21-2009, 02:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
That's a big fat lie. Nothing competes with other state colleges. Texas colleges seem to over focus on sports and football. Although the smaller colleges that focus more on academics than sports are probably the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texas universities are pretty much underrated if anything.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:24 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
That sounds like BS to me. California colleges are as liberal as Richard Simmon's shorts.

Texas colleges are more about sports!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So it's not that Texas schools are inferior-- it's that theres a liberal conspiracy to to make the schools SEEM inferior to satisfy the whims of "Limousine" liberals?

Are you at all aware how ridiculous you sound?

Old 08-21-2009, 02:35 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,675 times
Yeah, well at least them Longhorns have a shot at a national title this year. That's what really matters

Gotta keep those priorities straight!

Last edited by achickenchaser; 08-21-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas