Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 12:22 PM

206 posts, read 503,538 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Got back from my first visit to Texas earlier this week and thought I would share a few pics of the trip. Started in Dallas, traveled east to Marshall, West to Gatesville, south to Fredericksburg, north to Abilene and then on to Wichita Falls, one day in Lawton OK, and back into east Texas.11 Days and about 3500 miles. I was very impressed with the greenery of East Texas in mid August. Is this typical for this region for August? Texans are very proud of their state as evidenced by the many state flags and Lone stars on gates and house fronts. Pretty neat. Took in a high school football game, a Rangers baseball game, Texas bar-b-que and the best I ever had 14oz ribeye. People were very friendly and down to earth in all the small towns. Saw lots of these plants planted in the panhandle, anyone know what it is? Does east Texas have any gators in those lakes and backwaters? We did notice in one of the small east towns a huge cricket hatch-explosion. Stopped at a Dairy Queen and they were all over the exterior walls and parking lot, used the restroom and moved on. Any who it was a fun time and very interesting. Thanks Texas, maybe someday I’ll get to hang my hat there![/SIZE]
Attached Thumbnails
My Texas trip-green-east-texas.jpg   My Texas trip-more-green-east-texas.jpg   My Texas trip-san-saba-jail.jpg   My Texas trip-texas-clouds.jpg   My Texas trip-texas-football.jpg  

My Texas trip-texas-gators.jpg   My Texas trip-texas-panhandle.jpg   My Texas trip-texas-plant.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 12:45 PM

over looking Inks Lake State park
Attached Thumbnails
My Texas trip-img_6487.jpg  

Old 09-05-2009, 12:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
I'm surprised East Texas was so green, central and south Texas is in its second year of a really bad drought. But the BBQ is still just as good!

There are a few alligators along the coast. Here is a photo of a few I took at the Aransas Wildlife Refuge near Rockport, TX. These gators are loose in the wild, nothing to keep them from moving up or down the coast.

This map shows the alligator habitat.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/cnhc/images/!csm-amis.gif

Old 09-05-2009, 02:11 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Thank you for sharing with us the pictures of our beautiful state. It sounds as though you had a nice trip. I'm impressed by the greenery in East Texas too! My first thought was.... wow! my cows would certainly like to be there.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:04 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
The plant looks like a Bull Nettle. I'm guessing that because of the spines on the plant stems. When they bloom they have beautiful white flowers, but scrape up against one with a bare leg, It'll sting and itch like crazy!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:18 PM

Why would anyone plant that as a row crop? We saw hundreds of acres of this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas