Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:48 AM

32 posts, read 44,668 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I and our 2 children are going to be relocating to Texas I don't know anything about the cities there other than what I've heard about Austin being Liberal...

My questions are:
1. My husband is an Electronics Technician and the move to Texas would most certainly have to be to an area that supports his line of work.

2. We have 2 small children and really need an area that is good for raising them (low crime, decent school etc)

3. And finally I am wondering if there is an area that supports those needs that is also affordable as far as housing/apartments we were thinking of a monthly rent of around $600(ish) a month.

I am also afraid of the illegals that are crossing the border. I know that no place is perfect (look where we're coming from ) but some suggestions as to where we could focus our search on would be so appreciated!

I have been told San Antonio and the surrounding areas are good for his line of work as well as Houston. I just have absolutely no idea.

any input will be a big help, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM

25 posts, read 83,705 times
I think you have many choices in Texas. Hopefully you will get a lot of comments from different areas. You might want to check out these 2 employers in the Waco area. L-3 and Space X. Also government jobs for locations all over the globe. Your husband's line of work could probably land him just about anywhere. It all depends on what you really want as far as lifestyle goes. I love Waco because it's just the right size for me and my family and not too far from big cities. Friendly people. I think you can find good places for kids just about anywhere, just need to narrow down the location a bit more to get into that detail of it.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:07 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Rule #1. Find a job BEFORE you move to Texas. All is not as rosy here as people make it out to be and what you might be "hearing". $600.00/month for housing is probably not realistic except maybe in small towns. In Houston or it's suburbs, it would not get you a decent 1BR apartment much less a house. Also be prepared for your car insurance to double (just a warning).

Rule #1 is important for many reasons. One reason is that the city where you live is approx 35 sq mi. The city of Houston is approx 600 sq mi not including the suburbs. The situations are similar for Dallas, San Antonio, and even Austin though they are a bit smaller than Houston. For comparison sake, all of the cities listed, except Austin are equal to or much larger than New York City. Moving to one side of town then getting a job on the other can prove to be a very, very bad thing. We are talking 2 hour potential commutes, definitely not good for a young family.

As for illegals well...they are everywhere, no avoiding them. Some are very nice folks indeed. Others are not. Same with anyone else.

Sorry, but wanted to give a little reality check, haven't even discussed the bugs or heat yet.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:34 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
I agree, line up a job before moving. Then you'll be able to post in the city board that you'll be moving to & get alot of specific answers.

Regarding:
Quote:
I am also afraid of the illegals that are crossing the border. I know that no place is perfect (look where we're coming from )
The "illegals"....many of whom have been here for years, have added FAR more to the quality of my life than anyone who's moved here from other states, fwiw.

hound <----would much prefer to see a taco truck on the corner than a Carl's Jr.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I agree, line up a job before moving. Then you'll be able to post in the city board that you'll be moving to & get alot of specific answers.

Regarding:

The "illegals"....many of whom have been here for years, have added FAR more to the quality of my life than anyone who's moved here from other states, fwiw.

hound <----would much prefer to see a taco truck on the corner than a Carl's Jr.
hey, tacos are fantastic. but let's have them made by people who are law abiding citizens.
why do you quotate the word illegals as if it's not an accurate term? and how in the world can law breakers add to the quality of life in any area? that statement seems absurd. I don't care how long an Illegal has been in this country. I'd much prefer a transplanted citizen from anywhere over someone who's first step into this country is breaking our laws.

sorry but this is a big issue to me. I don't have any tolerance for illegals what so ever. many immigrants have made this country a great place who didn't border jump to get here.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Since illegals don't wear signs on them announcing they are illegal, you can't really tell who is legal and who isn't.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
I have a problem with the idea that somehow people who enter illegally are also "dangerous." NONSENSE! Most of them are simply looking for a better paying job (life style) than they can possibly find in Mexico (or wherever they come from). They do the scut work that most US citizens abhor. They tend to keep a very low profile in order to not be caught and deported.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:48 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Well the population in Houston is pretty much a plurality with no one race or ethnic group being dominant (pretty equal numbers all around w/ exception of asians). Dallas is pretty close to that but not quite there. In San Antonio, the hispanic whites and hispanic other dominate the population (refer to wikipedia) with non-hispanic white, black, and asian being in the minority. What percentage of that is illegal is anyone's guess.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:00 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BannerStateBound View Post
hey, tacos are fantastic. but let's have them made by people who are law abiding citizens.
why do you quotate the word illegals as if it's not an accurate term? and how in the world can law breakers add to the quality of life in any area? that statement seems absurd. I don't care how long an Illegal has been in this country. I'd much prefer a transplanted citizen from anywhere over someone who's first step into this country is breaking our laws.

sorry but this is a big issue to me. I don't have any tolerance for illegals what so ever. many immigrants have made this country a great place who didn't border jump to get here.
As someone who goes back and forth on the issue of illegal aliens in this country (ie. most are fine hard working people looking for a better life, at the same time I think our infrastructure is suffering...as with so many things, I'm on the fence ), I think you're going to be in for a shock moving from New Hampshire to Texas. As someone else mentioned, they don't wear signs, but they are everywhere here. Texas has the second largest population of illegal aliens, right after California. The actual numbers, of course, are unknown. If you have absolutely no patience for this situation (and that's fine with me, I'm not making a judgement), then I think you'll be in for much frustration here.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
As someone who goes back and forth on the issue of illegal aliens in this country (ie. most are fine hard working people looking for a better life, at the same time I think our infrastructure is suffering...as with so many things, I'm on the fence ), I think you're going to be in for a shock moving from New Hampshire to Texas. As someone else mentioned, they don't wear signs, but they are everywhere here. Texas has the second largest population of illegal aliens, right after California. The actual numbers, of course, are unknown. If you have absolutely no patience for this situation (and that's fine with me, I'm not making a judgement), then I think you'll be in for much frustration here.
there's no back and forth at any point in my post. immigrants are not the same as illegals.
most of this country was built by immigrants. my family in particular Italian immigrants. I have no respect for border jumpers. And I find it very hard to believe that the mentality of "well they just want a better life" represents Texas as a whole. Alot of people from other countries want a better life and enter here legally every day. for some reason it's un PC to expect the same level of respect from our southern neighbors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas