Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:23 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,642,546 times

Advertisements

This is making international headlines:

UK tourist shot dead in Texas bar

Tourist killed at bar - Two shot, patrons robbed and woman assaulted

That's sad. This guy came all the way from England just to visit Texas, but instead of being shown hospitality, he was shot in the chest and killed for apparently no reason whatsoever.

This took place at the Spotted Pony Lounge in Amarillo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 07:58 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,777,745 times
Terrible freak incident. The crazies are really starting to crawl out of the woodwork. I imagine it might be the recession causing stress, and fear of a black president.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 PM

714 posts, read 2,934,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Terrible freak incident. The crazies are really starting to crawl out of the woodwork. I imagine it might be the recession causing stress, and fear of a black president.
You can believe what you want to believe. I think Cisneros is probably a thug who barely knows what a job is, let alone who the President is. The sooner the murderer is on the express lane to Huntsville, the better.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:43 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,642,546 times
One question is this - how was a guy with such an extensive criminal record able to get ahold of a firearm in the first place?

Everyone involved in that chain of provision should be investigated and jailed if necessary. Selling firearms to thugs ought to be a serious crime with serious consequences. Not something that regularly gets dismissed in the court system, or plead down to probation and fines.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
terrible. and that is why i am wary of lots of travel. only need to be in places where i got biz to conduct or at home. im just not a club med guy.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:00 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,884 times
Great. And many Europeans already think of Texas as a dangerous place...I know first hand.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:06 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,718,171 times
It's not just the US that's dangerous. It's the entire world. Alas, here's a quote from a Brit that recently toured the US again...after he had first done so in the '60s:

"I have landed in twenty nine countries so far, flying around the world in a J3 cub, each peoples revealing their own welcome, hospitality and friendship. The current United States of America is not the one I remember when as a veterinary student in 1964 on a seven week vacation. I hitch-hiked from New York to Los Angeles to Vancouver to Quebec, finishing up with two nights under a tree in Central Park and all on just ten dollars twenty five cents.

On the eight thousand mile hike almost every Canadian or Yank greeted me with a great smile and embarrassing hospitality. Now, forty years on, I'm not just old and grumpy the US is a far different place."

Old 11-09-2009, 09:35 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,252,326 times
That area of Amarillo is NOT dangerous or a bad area. I lived in Ama for 13 years. It is honestly, one place where I always felt safe as a single, female. This is more an issue of a thug rather than the place, because bad people can be in good places. Plus, the thugs are hitting good neighborhoods. They realize that it's stupid to bring down their own neighborhoods which are already down, so they make their hits in others. This is in no way indicative of Amarillo or Texas, although this does not take away from the tragic nature of the event.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM

958 posts, read 2,134,110 times
It has nothing to do with a black president that's just stupid.
What it does have to do with it is this guy is a thug period.

It's a tragic event and I feel for the friends and family of Mr. Reeve but it has nothing to do with Amarillo or Texas. It happens all over the world.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:47 PM

28 posts, read 58,078 times
I had no idea this even happened until today, and in no way is this indicative of Amarillo. Cobolt is right, this is actually quite near an upscale area of town and very unusual an incident. Also, when I first moved here people warned me about "bad areas" in Amarillo and I've yet to see one after two years here. My definition of "bad area" is totally different after growing up in a place with a very high crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas