Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 27,734 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm considering a move to Eastland, Texas and I was wondering what the town is like. I'm a dental hygienist and I'm trying to find a job there as well. Is there any dentist offices there? How are the price of houses and the schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 10:04 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,885 times
Eastland is a pretty little town. They are right on the interstate, so they have a Starbucks, despite their small size. It seems like a clean little town, and every time we are through there, the people seem pleasant and friendly. There is a dentist there. The reason I know is that we drove down the road (maybe Main Street?) that has the Starbucks, the post office, the restaurants, 2 car washes, a shopping center with a sign that said "DENTIST", and several stores and some nice artsy areas. It does seem to have more ammenities than other small towns, and a local told us it is because of their location on the interstate.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,955,202 times
all i know about eastland is that it was the home of "old rip", the horny toad!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 AM

9 posts, read 50,217 times
I'm also interested in moving to Eastland. Does anybody know about the schools?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 12,523 times
Default Eastland Schools

Eastland has some great schools with excellent athletic programs. They are small district that allows teachers to get to know their students and meet their needs. They also offer many extra curricular activities for students to participate in.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 6,109 times
Default Not to be discouraging

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynton561 View Post
Hi. I'm considering a move to Eastland, Texas and I was wondering what the town is like. I'm a dental hygienist and I'm trying to find a job there as well. Is there any dentist offices there? How are the price of houses and the schools?
Sometimes pictures can be deceiving. Eastland is not the town that it appears to be. Yes, the cover is quite inviting but once the content is explored it is very disappointing. We moved here two years ago and the people have been very firm about their disapproval of our arrival. If diversity, cultural charm, and warmth is what you seek, please take heed to my advice and go somewhere else.

The homes range from 20K and up. Be sure you call an outside land appraiser before considering buying. The school is okay, there are some questionable grey areas. There is not much opportunity here for children. Our intentions were safety for our children. However, we have come to realize that sometimes diversity opens the door for our children's dreams and aspirations.

Since you are a dentist, you must understand the value of water for our teeth. I would suggest calling the Texas Water Department and getting a full report on Eastland's water supply.

I am not the pestimist that it appears, I am just trying to help you and your family from making the same mistake our's did. Good Luck and Happy Travels.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:20 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
Eastland is about 50 miles east of Abilene, where I live, so I've passed by fairly often on my way to DFW. It's rather small but has more amenities than other small towns in this area. Last Spring/Summer, poor Eastland got hammered by storms and flooding so I'd do some serious checking if you're planning to buy property there.

If you like the area but want a larger city and more opportunities, you'd probably want to check out Abilene. There are a LOT of dentists offices here, even a "dental spa" is advertising. LOL, I have no idea what that is -- a massage and facial while you're having your teeth cleaned?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:41 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
I had a job offer in Eastland, so went to check out the area. Just drove through and kept on driving. Did not get a good impression, sorry. What about Big Spring further west? I feel Abilene has gotten too big, increased crime, etc. or would also recommend it. I am in Lubbock, and think the growth is out of hand, with all the new construction, etc., so will be looking to move on soon as well.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:39 AM

3 posts, read 12,717 times
All I know about Eastland is it's the home of Tracy Fullen. He will go down as one of the best linebackers in the history of Texas High School Football.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:02 PM

30 posts, read 143,420 times
My hubby may be transferred to Ranger community college in Ranger tx. We were thinking we would rent in Eastland,tx. Any advice on how to find rental property? Also, we are a biracial family. How well would a small town like that respond to a mixed (black and white) couple with a young son?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas