Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:14 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,233,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I don't think I could make a Texan understand the difference. You would just have to spend some time in those places to get it. Actually Houston reminds me of Los Angeles before it grew up and got civilized, except LA always had the mountains, the beaches, and the weather.
And don't forget, here in Texas we also have our mountains in Colorado for entertainment. We have the gulf coast beaches for exploitation and Mexican beaches for partying. And we don't have to violate property rights to get to them.

And the weather. Yeah, LA has the weather alright. Ever seen an LA native turn white during a southeast Texas thunderstorm. Nicolas Cage got no idea what 'gone in sixty seconds' means.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,280,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
And don't forget, here in Texas we also have our mountains in Colorado for entertainment. We have the gulf coast beaches for exploitation and Mexican beaches for partying. And we don't have to violate property rights to get to them.

And the weather. Yeah, LA has the weather alright. Ever seen an LA native turn white during a southeast Texas thunderstorm. Nicolas Cage got no idea what 'gone in sixty seconds' means.
Obviously this ex-Californian didn't have enough sense to be "gone in sixty seconds" with her first experience of thunderstorms. I'm sure you native Texans would freak during an earthquake, but I'll take them any day over the weather Texas has.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:52 PM

789 posts, read 1,528,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Obviously this ex-Californian didn't have enough sense to be "gone in sixty seconds" with her first experience of thunderstorms. I'm sure you native Texans would freak during an earthquake, but I'll take them any day over the weather Texas has.
Really? You would rather live with the ground moving? The freeways moving like waves on a beach? And the possibility of the big one hitting and millions dying? Well now, you are just a trooper aren't you?

I would live with the weather I have been living with for my whole life here. The Tornado's can be scary, but I can't remember the last one that hit the Houston Metro. And at least I can see the big Hurricanes coming days in advance. I've already gotten use to the sudden down pores. I like rain for the record, haha. And I can deal with the heat, because I'm not a city dwelling pansy. I'm sorry that was a low blow.

I'm sure the native's of what ever state they live in are use(and love) the weather of their state. Except for the the people in the Northeast states in the Winter time. That is just ridiculous, haha.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
2012 made me scared to go to California.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:38 PM

17 posts, read 51,346 times
Shoot.. the earth quakes are the easiest thing here in California.. Really not so bad...there are so many other things here to worry ya..

Where you live doesn't make a person or make them less of a person. Many reasons a person could be where they are or why they are there..
I have met alot of people that visit San Fancisco from other states that feel negative towards Californians.. Sad cuz there are alot of good ones here, but unfortunately we get a bad rap sometimes..understandable..

and by the way, my Grandpa is from Texas originally and I LOVE his
lil' twang and he has the cutest sayings for everthing....

Old 01-09-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
Really? You would rather live with the ground moving? The freeways moving like waves on a beach? And the possibility of the big one hitting and millions dying? Well now, you are just a trooper aren't you?

I would live with the weather I have been living with for my whole life here. The Tornado's can be scary, but I can't remember the last one that hit the Houston Metro. And at least I can see the big Hurricanes coming days in advance. I've already gotten use to the sudden down pores. I like rain for the record, haha. And I can deal with the heat, because I'm not a city dwelling pansy. I'm sorry that was a low blow.

I'm sure the native's of what ever state they live in are use(and love) the weather of their state. Except for the the people in the Northeast states in the Winter time. That is just ridiculous, haha.
No, I'm far from a trooper or I'd love Texas tornado threats. I don't like earthquakes either and I agree that you can run from the hurricanes, but I still wouldn't live where there are hurricanes. With earthquakes, you get no warning, no worries. There are so few really big ones; most are just little tremors. Sure, there's the threat of the really big one, but we've all heard that for years. A really big tornado can be just as devastating. With tornadoes, it's like ... well, they can form in an instant with deadly results from so many thunderstorms every year. So with every severe storm, a tornado may happen. You mean you really would like to be in your house and have it ripped off it's foundation and ripping you apart? If you've lived in earthquake and tornado country, you maybe would understand what I mean, but it's difficult to know what it's like if you haven't. You can't even compare the difference if you've not lived it.

Actually, I do have a storm cellar, so I guess I'm better off in Texas with tornadoes than in California where the "ground can swallow you." Really, it's not that bad unless, of course, there is a devastating one.

No, not a low blow at all, just another ignorant remark of which I hear on a daily basis. Oh and if you were truly sorry, you would have deleted it, but I understand...believe me, I do. I'm not a city dwelling pansy, such a dumb remark. Yes, I lived in the city but for more than 1/2 of my life, I've lived in rural Texas. I totally prefer rural to city. What does living in the city have to do with heat anyway? Heat is heat. I hate the city and will never ever live in a city again. Now all the city slickers can tell me I'm a wimp for not living in the city. I say that because I've heard it on the Dallas forum. You Texans really need to come to an agreement about what is and what isn't instead of just popping up with what "fits" for the moment.

I totally love the downpours of rain when the weather is not severe. There is much wonderful stuff about Texas weather, like Fall and Winter.

I'll betcha there will not be an earthquake in California as you describe in our lifetime, if ever. The New Madrid fault line, if it goes, will wreak much more havoc on those states as depicted in the link below than any California earthquake ever will. So the question is, when will the big ones (tornadoes, earthquakes, more tsunamis, hurricanes) hit? It time, my friend, in time.

http://geneo.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/new_madrid.gif

Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
2012 made me scared to go to California.
Is that a movie? As I said in my post, the New Madrid might be the real killer of this country. Time will tell.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
No, not a low blow at all, just another ignorant remark of which I hear on a daily basis. Oh and if you were truly sorry, you would have deleted it, but I understand...believe me, I do. I'm not a city dwelling pansy, such a dumb remark. Yes, I lived in the city but for more than 1/2 of my life, I've lived in rural Texas. I totally prefer rural to city. What does living in the city have to do with heat anyway? Heat is heat. I hate the city and will never ever live in a city again. Now all the city slickers can tell me I'm a wimp for not living in the city. I say that because I've heard it on the Dallas forum. You Texans really need to come to an agreement about what is and what isn't instead of just popping up with what "fits" for the moment.

Haha, well it seems you take my remarks way to seriously. When I said city dwelling pansy it was only meant in jest. I'll make sure to say that next time, haha. No where in my comment did I say I was sorry for what I was saying. I have family in Cali also, but I guess that still makes me ignorant. I also never said anything about the city being the hottest place anyway. Where are you getting this? I know it is just as hot in Plaquemine, Louisiana from experience. And the fact that you go on to a whole other subject about Dallas just shows you have more on your mind. I don't know the first thing about earthquakes. I'll admit that. I would just like you to know I was kidding, lol.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
Haha, well it seems you take my remarks way to seriously. When I said city dwelling pansy it was only meant in jest. I'll make sure to say that next time, haha. No where in my comment did I say I was sorry for what I was saying. I have family in Cali also, but I guess that still makes me ignorant. I also never said anything about the city being the hottest place anyway. Where are you getting this? I know it is just as hot in Plaquemine, Louisiana from experience. And the fact that you go on to a whole other subject about Dallas just shows you have more on your mind. I don't know the first thing about earthquakes. I'll admit that. I would just like you to know I was kidding, lol.
Sure you did ... copied and pasted ... And I can deal with the heat, because I'm not a city dwelling pansy. I'm sorry that was a low blow. It's no big deal though.

I said ignorant remark; I did not say you were ignorant.

You were referring to dealing with the heat (in red above) because you weren't a cdp. That's where I got my information...from your comments...hence inquiring what the heat and dealing with it had to do with the city.

No, I was just talking about the Dallas forum (doesn't matter as it's in Texas too) and how whatever sounds right at the time is what is said. It was not another subject, just a comparison, if you will.

It's okay, but please reread what you said. I didn't grab it out of a hat.

I know you knew nothing about earthquakes. Unless one can compare things or places because they've been through or lived there, they really haven't a clue.

Have a good night!

Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Sure you did ... copied and pasted ... And I can deal with the heat, because I'm not a city dwelling pansy. I'm sorry that was a low blow. It's no big deal though.

I said ignorant remark; I did not say you were ignorant.

You were referring to dealing with the heat (in red above) because you weren't a cdp. That's where I got my information...from your comments...hence inquiring what the heat and dealing with it had to do with the city.

No, I was just talking about the Dallas forum (doesn't matter as it's in Texas too) and how whatever sounds right at the time is what is said. It was not another subject, just a comparison, if you will.

It's okay, but please reread what you said. I didn't grab it out of a hat.

I know you knew nothing about earthquakes. Unless one can compare things or places because they've been through or lived there, they really haven't a clue.

Have a good night!

Again, I was joking. Sorry you took it the wrong way. I will be more careful in the future. I forgot what site I was on, haha.

Also, there was a 6.5 in the Northern Cali. Hope your okay if you live that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas