Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,806 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Plattsmouth Nebraska (small town out in the corn fields @ 30 minutes to Omaha) and will be moving to Texas in the May time frame, I am married and have 3 kids. We are a young couple looking' to get out of the cold and get back into the Texas heat (stationed at FT Bliss before back in '04). I am 28 and she is 25 and this is what we have in our heads as to what we are looking for....A 4 brdrm house on an 3/4acre+ of land, in a small town, yet close enough to a large city say somewhere @ 20 - 44 minutes out. I need a good school system to send my kids to ( 8yr girl, 3 yr girl and a 2yr boy) a safe environment for a family with plenty of activities to do like playgrounds, museums, pools, water parks/roller coasters,shopping,historical area's, we love to do it all and have a great time taking in everything. We also want to be somewhat near a military installation as I am retired Army and have post privileges. We have been looking @ the northern,central and west parts of Texas but would love to hear what anyone has to offer. Good experiences, bad experiences, places you have lived and loved/hated, crime, weather anything that you would be willing to share. Thanks for reading and hope to hear form ya. Have a great day!!

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:08 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House of toes View Post
I am currently living in Plattsmouth Nebraska (small town out in the corn fields @ 30 minutes to Omaha) and will be moving to Texas in the May time frame, I am married and have 3 kids. We are a young couple looking' to get out of the cold and get back into the Texas heat (stationed at FT Bliss before back in '04). I am 28 and she is 25 and this is what we have in our heads as to what we are looking for....A 4 brdrm house on an 3/4acre+ of land, in a small town, yet close enough to a large city say somewhere @ 20 - 44 minutes out. I need a good school system to send my kids to ( 8yr girl, 3 yr girl and a 2yr boy) a safe environment for a family with plenty of activities to do like playgrounds, museums, pools, water parks/roller coasters,shopping,historical area's, we love to do it all and have a great time taking in everything. We also want to be somewhat near a military installation as I am retired Army and have post privileges. We have been looking @ the northern,central and west parts of Texas but would love to hear what anyone has to offer. Good experiences, bad experiences, places you have lived and loved/hated, crime, weather anything that you would be willing to share. Thanks for reading and hope to hear form ya. Have a great day!!

Jeff
I would look into Austin and San Antonio. Those are great cities for families buying a home. Especially San Antonio. Fortunately for my family, we were able to rent out beautiful houses and live very nice in San Antonio for a short while. However, after the job market situation hit, it didn't work out too well. But again, things might be different for you. Theres tons of military families living well over there today. Many of my high school classmates were previous military kids. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
I agree ^^^. Lots of military in San Antonio - army and air force bases. Lots of really nice small towns 20-45 mins from either Austin or San Antonio. Everything from population 100 to 50,000. You are also in the best part of Texas - scenic beauty and city life are easily within reach. Far enough from the ocean that hurricanes are just really bad thunderstorms.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 5,606 times
check out these towns around DFW- Forney, Lewisville, Allen, and Royse City....there is a huge VA hospital in south Dallas and the Fort Worth zoo is really nice...six flags in Arlington...a whole lot of lakes and woodlands in the region...and a whole lot of jobs. I am 28 and my wife is 32. We have 4 kids (9, 5,4 and 15 months) moved here from Michigan about 4 years ago with nothing and are looking at buying a house next year. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:56 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Check out Burleson if you are needing land. Mansfield is also a great place for kids. Both closer to Fort Worth.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:58 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Oh, I strongly agree with the San Antonio suggestion. Also maybe Waco, housing prices and proximity to Dallas and San Antonio could make Waco a good pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas