Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
You would think Dairy Queen was a Texas brand.
I live in Oak Lawn and since i've lived in Dallas I havent seen a dairy queen anywhere. I didnt think they were in Texas because I havent seen any intown. So i've just lived off of pinkberry and red mango instead lol. I had In N Out in Vegas and it was okay, but I've had better burgers. I guess it does add some sort of weird "cool factor" to Dallas to have one since most cities don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 09:42 PM

271 posts, read 393,971 times
Dallas, truly is becoming more and more like the,"L.A.of the South", everyday; with the "W" Hotel and a "In-n-Out" ,in this "wannabe hip city" future, the circle will almost be complete....hahaharrrrrr!!!!!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I used to live in Oak Lawn and Highland Park (and Arlington - got around that area a lot back then). A quick check shows that there are 20+ Dairy Queens in the Dallas area now.

But what "cool factor" is there to having an In-N-Out?

Old 04-04-2010, 10:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
You would think Dairy Queen was a Texas brand.
It should be. There are more Dairy Queen franchises here than in any other state, hence the reason Texas is so well known for them.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:57 PM

560 posts, read 1,715,394 times
Quote:
That was WAY back then, this is now.
That doesn't matter. In 'N' Out will never change it's business model. In all of these years the only thing they have changed... ever... is adding Dr. Pepper in 1996.

Slow growth, owning their real estate, no freezers, and non-franchised stores, and high wages is how they operate. The family that owns it will never sell it, and thus the business model will never change.

The only reason they have gone into southern Utah is because it is close enough to Vegas that they can supply / maintain those stores and because someone opened an In "N" Out clone in that area. They sued him into oblivion and rushed into the market to fix their good name... otherwise they'd be concentrating on Arizona right now.

I'll be the first to stand up and say I was wrong if they show up in Texas in 2011. I'm pretty sure this rumor is just gossip... it's contrary to how they have always operated.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 AM

29 posts, read 122,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
That doesn't matter. In 'N' Out will never change it's business model. In all of these years the only thing they have changed... ever... is adding Dr. Pepper in 1996.

Slow growth, owning their real estate, no freezers, and non-franchised stores, and high wages is how they operate. The family that owns it will never sell it, and thus the business model will never change.

The only reason they have gone into southern Utah is because it is close enough to Vegas that they can supply / maintain those stores and because someone opened an In "N" Out clone in that area. They sued him into oblivion and rushed into the market to fix their good name... otherwise they'd be concentrating on Arizona right now.

I'll be the first to stand up and say I was wrong if they show up in Texas in 2011. I'm pretty sure this rumor is just gossip... it's contrary to how they have always operated.
You may be right, but I hope not. It's not like I'm giving you information that I got from my neighbor's friend's orthodontist or something. This is coming directly from In-N-Out employees.

Nevertheless, you say slow growth is the business model, and I agree. However, we both know these rumors have been around for 3 or more years (and we know for the past few years they've always confirmed they were very interested in the Texas market), so I'm not sure how them moving into Texas now would be anything but "slow growth". The focus on building the infrastructure/distribution for at least a year also jives with their business model.

Let's just cross our fingers and hope you're wrong.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I live in Oak Lawn and since i've lived in Dallas I havent seen a dairy queen anywhere. I didnt think they were in Texas because I havent seen any intown. So i've just lived off of pinkberry and red mango instead lol. I had In N Out in Vegas and it was okay, but I've had better burgers. I guess it does add some sort of weird "cool factor" to Dallas to have one since most cities don't.
There used to be several in town. I haven't seen one in a while. I think the closest one to me (I'm south of LBJ) is in Garland, but I'm not sure.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:43 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
If you google "Dairy Queen" and "Dallas" a map will pop up with the locations of all 20-odd in Dallas and vicinity.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
No, not really. Both McDonald's and In-N-Out were established in 1948 (though the McDonalds opened their first place in 1940). The first Dairy Queen opened in Joliet, Illinois, in 1940.

You're right. In-N-Out was the first drive through joint.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If you google "Dairy Queen" and "Dallas" a map will pop up with the locations of all 20-odd in Dallas and vicinity.
Thanks. I just did it and none are very close. Wish they were because sometimes I just crave a peanut buster parfait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas